Damn RP23 Squealing with Propedal on :(

Skylark

Just got the Fox RP23 shock on my Shova totally over-hauled due to a leaking rebound lever seal.

Now the damn shock is Squealing with Propedal on , when I switch Propedal on it squeals everytime the propedal gate or whatever its called is overcome - over fast bumpy terrain it shrieks!!

Never did this before the over-haul :huh:

Check these links out they describe the same problem :

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/slight-squeak-rp23-when-pro-pedal-422118.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/rp23-whistle-336706.html#poststop

Also was wondering about the shocks rebound speed , I weigh 65Kg and I run it with standard sag and now with the least amount of rebound damping and it doesn't even come close to jacking me off the bike when I hit bumps sitting down - does that sound normal? Could of sworn I used to have a good few clicks of rebound damping before I sent it in :o

Edited by SkyLark

Sounds like you need to send the shock back to whoever serviced it. The rebound also sounds wrong - my non propedal fox requires a good few clicks to get the rebound under control. Maybe they have used teh wrong oil - something too thick perhaps?

Hi SkyLark

I had an issue with a RP23 squeal.

The funniest solution...

I have a NINER RIP9, and the rear derailleur cabling runs past the RP23, and over time the cable moved to rub on the outer barrel of the shock.

Moved the cable, and woilla...

Check ALL possible related issues.

I hope you find it SOOOOOON!!! It can / will drive you insane

Hi SkyLark

I had an issue with a RP23 squeal.

The funniest solution...

I have a NINER RIP9, and the rear derailleur cabling runs past the RP23, and over time the cable moved to rub on the outer barrel of the shock.

Moved the cable, and woilla...

Check ALL possible related issues.

I hope you find it SOOOOOON!!! It can / will drive you insane

Thanks man!

But mine only squeals when Propedal is engaged - other than that it just makes its normal whoosing noise when its compressed

Just got the Fox RP23 shock on my Shova totally over-hauled due to a leaking rebound lever seal.

Now the damn shock is Squealing with Propedal on , when I switch Propedal on it squeals everytime the propedal gate or whatever its called is overcome - over fast bumpy terrain it shrieks!!

Never did this before the over-haul :huh:

Check these links out they describe the same problem :

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/slight-squeak-rp23-when-pro-pedal-422118.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/rp23-whistle-336706.html#poststop

Also was wondering about the shocks rebound speed , I weigh 65Kg and I run it with standard sag and now with the least amount of rebound damping and it doesn't even come close to jacking me off the bike when I hit bumps sitting down - does that sound normal? Could of sworn I used to have a good few clicks of rebound damping before I sent it in :o

My guess is that the oil is not up to scratch. Unfortunately the only way you'll know is to change it and that is not trivial. I'd do one test before I send it back though:.

1)Remove the shock from the bike and deflate it (very important step this).

2) Clamp the propedal-side eye in a vice and unscrew the air cannister. Some clean, clear blue oil should drip out. If not....someone bulshitted you about the service.

3)Remove the air cannister completely.

4) Now with the shock still in the vice, pump it in and out and see if you can simulate the squeak. This should be easy to do since you're now only working against the damping mechanism and not the spring.

5) Manipulate it in all the settings. If the squeak is there, it is back to the original fixer.

6) If not, I'll check the lubrication on the air cannister seals and main piston seal. There should be fresh rubber grease on there and everything else should still be clean, if somewhat oily.

7)Replace the cannister but first grease its screw-in side's edge with rubber grease. This end engages with a thin O-ring and you dont want it to fold when turning.

Oh yes, replace the oil that you lost with a teaspoon-full if EP-90 gear oil or similar.

Thanks Johan , You are the champion of the hub!! :clap:

Will apply your wisdom and see what comes , it does look like it needs to go back.

Regarding the rebound speed with no damping clicks applied , my rp23 is quite sedate after the overhual even with no damping clicks at all that doesn't seem right?

Hey can you use that EP90 gear oil in RS Forks as the oil for the oil bath (the oil you change in the lowers during a minor service? Another chap mentioned you could

Will apply your wisdom and see what comes , it does look like it needs to go back.

Regarding the rebound speed with no damping clicks applied , my rp23 is quite sedate after the overhual even with no damping clicks at all that doesn't seem right?

Hey can you use that EP90 gear oil in RS Forks as the oil for the oil bath (the oil you change in the lowers during a minor service? Another chap mentioned you could

It should take you ten minutes to test it the way I described. Maybe 15 with removing and refitting.

Your rebound problem sounds like too thick oil. Unfortunately this is not a DIY issue.

As for the EP90 oil in a Rox oil bath? No. It is far too thick and will not splash up from the bottom of the fork to the insides of the seals. If you're in a pinch, rather use engine oil, one of the thinner ones like 5 or 10W40.

My RP23 has made that noise since day dot - also on a Shova. Brand new out the box it made that noise. Its been serviced and completely rebuilt twice with new seals and nitrogen regas....still squeaks.

No damage done and serviced by the agent. Then again, they had to do it twice cause they got the nitrogen pressure all wrong due to there equipment having the wrong calibration - read being old and tired and worn out.

Shova should only really need propedal on when climbing, otherwise ride it open....wide open! Braaaaaap

Thanks Johan , You are the champion of the hub!! :clap:

Dude.

Should have applied that wisdom, and sent it where you were going to in the first place - apparently ! :D

My RP23 has made that noise since day dot - also on a Shova. Brand new out the box it made that noise. Its been serviced and completely rebuilt twice with new seals and nitrogen regas....still squeaks.

No damage done and serviced by the agent. Then again, they had to do it twice cause they got the nitrogen pressure all wrong due to there equipment having the wrong calibration - read being old and tired and worn out.

Shova should only really need propedal on when climbing, otherwise ride it open....wide open! Braaaaaap

True that true that!! :lol:

But never the less I smaak a bit of Propedal , not to stop pedal-bob but just to make things a bit more rigid for a little more track feedback.

So you have had the identical issue as me since your shock was new - Squealing/squeaky mouse noise only when Propedal is engaged?

About how many clicks of rebound damping do you use Mr MoreTrails?

Think I am going RockShox for the next shock I ever get!

An RP23 is about the most awesome piece of sh*te ever , its awesome in use when working but why oh why do they have to have so many arbitrary issues , like for chucks sakes just be reliable!!!!

You would have thought after the quitillion RP shocks made and sold they would be the epitome of reliability - all issues finally ironed out :angry:

Like that rebound lever seal - 100% factory defect , all the heavily used major seals that came out of my shock were in perfect condition , the tiny rebound lever seal that sees virtually 0% duty - perished.

Dude.

Should have applied that wisdom, and sent it where you were going to in the first place - apparently ! :D

YESSSS SIR!!!

100% correct but the insured shipping costs for the round trip to get it to the Honourable Doctor Professor Johan blew the price outta the water - was seriously considering it for a week or 2 but the convenience of driving 15mins up the hill to drop it off locally won out .

I did have it repaired at a widely reputable coven of park tools in Ptn , and they said that they are happy for me to bring it back for them to look at again , not something I really want to have to go through but its looks unavoidable at this point in my life

:lol:

YESSSS SIR!!!

100% correct but the insured shipping costs for the round trip to get it to the Honourable Doctor Professor Johan blew the price outta the water - was seriously considering it for a week or 2 but the convenience of driving 15mins up the hill to drop it off locally won out .

I did have it repaired at a widely reputable coven of park tools in Ptn , and they said that they are happy for me to bring it back for them to look at again , not something I really want to have to go through but its looks unavoidable at this point in my life

Take it back. Tell 'im if it don't work this time, ye shall cause more injury than his bike did! ;)

Dropped off said Shock this afternoon - kind hearted wrenchchap did mention he would be changing oil to lower viscosity , why would he have chosen anything other than what FOX specifies?

Moretrails you may have oil that is to thick in your shock - makes sense , the oil squealing as it battles to fit through the propedal gate ..... can't be any other reason - I'll let you know how mine works out

For F**ksakes!!!! Got the shock back yesterday - rebound now nice and spritely , back end feels good and lively , thinner oil was used..... but in propedal mode its now squealing more than before , I rode for 100m and Propedal stops working all together.:huh:

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Back to the workshop it will need to go :(

What is it with RP23's that they can be so problematic?

They must be on almost every decent XC made in the last 4yrs , people that fix them must naturally know them back to front - are they designed so that they kinda of finicky to put back together properly?

Before that tiny rebound seal perished my shock gave no issues , now its just a giant headache.

Aahhhhh time for a beer lunch