Spruit Safety

nolipoli

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that is a real pity. Hope it's an isolated incident.

Yup, the numbers in the vicinity of the DHL jumps are definitely growing and pretty much that whole area opposite Field n Study through to William Nicol has packs of guys living in it. I really hope we don't have issues starting there in the future.

i ride the lower section of the spruit (between william nichol and witkoppen) every day without problem.

i am however acutely aware of my surroundings near three areas.

1. the dhl area

2. the scout hall area near ballyclare drive

3. the N1 highway bridge.

all three areas has dodgy looking vagrants (ive always been weary of people who defacate 3m from where they lie down to sleep or eat), and even though i've never had problems on the spruit, i'm ready for an attack at all times. rather be vigilant than surprised.

i carry pepperspray on my camelback and practice grabbing it all the time. i have used pepperspray before with great success on two assailants (not the spruit), and will use it again.

post-8154-0-29430200-1323092144.jpg

Edited by kamikaze

i ride the lower section of the spruit (between william nichol and witkoppen) every day without problem.

1. the dhl area

all three areas has dodgy looking vagrants (ive always been weary of people who defacate 3m from where they lie down to sleep or eat), and even though i've never had problems on the spruit, i'm ready for an attack at all times. rather be vigilant than surprised.

hahaha! 2 of those 3 areas are jump spots... now you know where we get the labour to build the dirt jumps! :lol:

1. the dhl area

i carry pepperspray on my camelback and practice grabbing it all the time. i have used pepperspray before with great success on two assailants (not the spruit), and will use it again.

post-28936-0-40367400-1323096739.jpg

post-28936-0-40367400-1323096739.jpg

its a neoprene thingy that i made. basically when not folded back (like on the pic) it keeps mud off my valve. i only unfold it during muddy conditions.

• 2 months later...

Good Morning,

Im considering going and riding from Cedar Square gym down Witkoppen entering the spruit and cycling to the Bryanston Pick n pay and back tomorrow morning. Plan to leave at about 5:45.

Anybody is welcome to join? Also will there be others on the track. Just worried about the safety aspect of riding by myself.

Mat

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Ride the spruit fairly often and have also been uncomfortable with the inhabitants between Witkoppen and William Nicol, where else is there to ride appart from Northern Farms etc.

At this rate, dare I say it, the road is a safer option :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I ride the spruit daily for training but not enjoying it coz I constantly have to watch my back...we should have weekly group rides,even if its just 5 people or more ??? Thoughts ???

I ride the spruit daily for training but not enjoying it coz I constantly have to watch my back...we should have weekly group rides,even if its just 5 people or more ??? Thoughts ???

which parts of the spruit have you feeling vulnerable?

Cos fratelli's up to emmarentia is pretty safe. I ride it solo (in the evenings) atleast twice a week. Took Jimmy there to test out his new bike, He'd never ridden up to emmerantia before. He couldn't believe how clean and safe it was compared to the bryanston side.

That said, I have also had a few solo DHL and Scout Hall jump sessions. Felt fairly safe, but then again, I'm not as pretty as you, so the hobos wouldn't want their way with me anyway :lol:

EDIT: BTW, there used to be a weekly evening ride from fratelli's up. Dunno if it still happens... but there are quite a few people on that side of the spruit in the evenings anyway.

Edited by patches

I ride the spruit from the power distribution centre on Republic just before Nicol hiway up to Emmarentia 2-3 times a week. No problems although it is quite dark at the time we ride and we would be easy targets. We feel quite safe as we have only encountered friendly people on this route.

I ride the spruit from the power distribution centre on Republic just before Nicol hiway up to Emmarentia 2-3 times a week. No problems although it is quite dark at the time we ride and we would be easy targets. We feel quite safe as we have only encountered friendly people on this route.

aah, that nasty muddy hill...

there's a way more fun, alternate route from the Nicol Pick 'n Pay to the Old Parks sports grounds side of the spruit.

Some nice windy singletrack through trees, the hurlingham jump line (if you're keen for some air), and it brings you out at the concrete bridge over the spruit just by the bombhole. Plus, on your way back you won't have that long nasty muddy climb back to republic ;)

DHL is a jump line in the area sometimes referred to as "Sandton Field and Study"

if you are just XC riding you may pass near it, but you won't ride on the line itself (or near the vagrant village).

dunno if this will help you piece together where the line is along your route... but here it is

http://vimeo.com/32734540

gejus patches, u only like posting this vid? its like the 123rd time u posted it brother?

Edited by TheV

gejus patches, u only like posting this vid? its like the 123rd time u posted it brother?

Well, DHL is the most fun one can have on the spruit... it deserves some attention :lol: