Motorpacing behind trucks

Bateleur1

Motorpacing can be a great training technique if done properly i.e. you motor pace behind a scooter or small car driven by someone you know and who knows what they are doing.

Like I said, it's a lost technique.

Honestly, I think you've been in the nanny state too long. (Edit - It's like what Carlin said about swimming in the Hudson river...)

Hooking a truck is a part of being a bike rider. That shouldn't change cause the marketers told you to wear a helmet and to drink lite beer.

Edited by TNT1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You haven't lived until you've chased down a truck and sat in its hot, quiet slipstream. The onliy think nicer than the moment you know you've got it and can sit in the slip, is arriving at your muffin stop 20 minutes earlier than your chicken buddies in the pack.

Unfortunately I'm too slow nowadays to still catch trucks but I sure miss them. Maybe I can find a fat, overloaded old brick truck somewhere and catch him for old-time sake.

One think you must remember - any truck, no matter how overloaded it is, can stop quicker than a bike. But I'm telling you this not to put you off, but to clarify a point that should really be discussed in Tech Q&A - one day.

I managed to hook up to an tractor/trailer combo the other day, on the Klipheuwel rd, coming back towards Durbanville from the Silo's. It was into a stiff SE, but I sat comfortable at speeds between 35-40km/h. Sat there for at least 10km, until the tractor turned of on the Spes Bona rd. What a rush, but also a great workout. :D :thumbup:

I managed to hook up to an tractor/trailer combo the other day, on the Klipheuwel rd, coming back towards Durbanville from the Silo's. It was into a stiff SE, but I sat comfortable at speeds between 35-40km/h. Sat there for at least 10km, until the tractor turned of on the Spes Bona rd. What a rush, but also a great workout. :D :thumbup:

Those big rear wheels and some of the impliments attached to tractors made me think of sosaties and mincemeat each time I used to catch one.

I sat behind a TLB once for a couple of k's. He had his hazard lights on and happily bounced along at 25 or so kph. Eventually I decided to pass and I went around on the right like any good road user will do. However, the driver decided to turn at the same moment. He pushed me over and forced me to turn with him. Several washers were pinched out of my saddle's leather. I didn't know he was going to turn since he had is hazard lights on and in that mode, the indicators don't work. I've since given a lot of thought to European laws that prohibit cars to move whilst their hazard lights are flashing.

Like I said, it's a lost technique.

Honestly, I think you've been in the nanny state too long. (Edit - It's like what Carlin said about swimming in the Hudson river...)

SNIP...... and to drink lite beer.

Yeah your right, I can't take it any longer...all these smooth roads not a pot hole in sight, trucks that dont beelch out black smoke.... motor pacing heaven.

Like JB said...if only i had the speed to catch them now...

LITE BEER: youve been talking to Tumbleweed about my drinking habits?

You haven't lived until you've chased down a truck and sat in its hot, quiet slipstream. The onliy think nicer than the moment you know you've got it and can sit in the slip, is arriving at your muffin stop 20 minutes earlier than your chicken buddies in the pack.

Unfortunately I'm too slow nowadays to still catch trucks but I sure miss them. Maybe I can find a fat, overloaded old brick truck somewhere and catch him for old-time sake.

One think you must remember - any truck, no matter how overloaded it is, can stop quicker than a bike. But I'm telling you this not to put you off, but to clarify a point that should really be discussed in Tech Q&A - one day.

Amen, brother.

PS, I think the stopping thing has been discussed in Tech before.

LITE BEER: youve been talking to Tumbleweed about my drinking habits?

The dude SMS's me and says yeah, swissman is in town will call you when we arrange to meet up. Still waiting for the call :unsure:

The dude SMS's me and says yeah, swissman is in town will call you when we arrange to meet up. Still waiting for the call :unsure:

Hey, I SMSed you about the when and where.

Back to topic…a certain pro I drink beer (not lite) with every now and then was pulled over by the cops for slipstreaming a truck at around 100km/h coming back from Heidelberg towards Carnival City.

Back to topic…a certain pro I drink beer (not lite) with every now and then was pulled over by the cops for slipstreaming a truck at around 100km/h coming back from Heidelberg towards Carnival City.

Happened to me once as well. Of course I was on the N3 outside Heidelberg...

Happened to me once as well. Of course I was on the N3 outside Heidelberg...

I held onto a truck going up Fisher's Hill once. Then heard the siren… :(

I held onto a truck going up Fisher's Hill once. Then heard the siren… :(

I didn't get a siren. Just a booming voice. I nearly fell off, cause I thought God was calling me. Then I looked back and saw the coppers.

Been doing it for 20something years. Used to do it behind the team bakkie. Will carry on doing it.

Can this be the same BoB that that slams cyclists for not adhering to rule of the road such as red robots, single file etc.

Can this be the same BoB that that slams cyclists for not adhering to rule of the road such as red robots, single file etc.

It's not illegal, is it? I mean slipstreaming a truck only violates the keep a safe following distance, and how does plod measure that from behind?

Hey, I SMSed you about the when and where.

What was the end result? What would the fine be? Not keeping a safe following distance?

Had a cop blowing his hooter at me the other day as well. Turns out it was my neighbour. Met up with him afterwards (I was home before him :D ). We had a good chat about it.