wheelset upgrades

Slowbee

Just confirmed my order at cwc - and big thanks to Louis who kindly sorted a swop to shimano body for me... :clap: Did I get as good a deal as I think I did?

My thinking was the same as slowbee's... I've almost bought about 3 different bikes in the last week - so the wheels are scratching that itch for now even if my 4 yr old alu giant isn't quite worthy... a new frame etc will definately follow in the next 6- 12 months as well...

Look and sound like sweet wheels - enjoy ...

even if my 4 yr old alu giant isn't quite worthy... a new frame etc will definately follow in the next 6- 12 months as well...

Bit OT - but I need to go see if there's a "next step up in frames" thread already - also have 4 yr old Alu frame (Merida). Actually like it a lot, and my level of riding hasn't outgrown it yet - but the itch is there, and I need to get a clear direction on what's next realistic step up from this one.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look and sound like sweet wheels - enjoy ...

Bit OT - but I need to go see if there's a "next step up in frames" thread already - also have 4 yr old Alu frame (Merida). Actually like it a lot, and my level of riding hasn't outgrown it yet - but the itch is there, and I need to get a clear direction on what's next realistic step up from this one.

yup that sounds like me... I think the next step up is either an entry to mid-range carbon or top end alu (like the 'Dale CAAD10). I was about to get a Scott CR1 (great deals around on 2011 models) then saw the Addict R3 (yumm) then decided that I haven't once been out riding my current Giant and thought "crap I need to upgrade this thing" - I only get tempted when on the net or in a bike shop! So decided to hold off for a while...

yup that sounds like me... I think the next step up is either an entry to mid-range carbon or top end alu (like the 'Dale CAAD10). I was about to get a Scott CR1 (great deals around on 2011 models) then saw the Addict R3 (yumm) then decided that I haven't once been out riding my current Giant and thought "crap I need to upgrade this thing" - I only get tempted when on the net or in a bike shop! So decided to hold off for a while...

Haha - I'm feeling that lure of carbon too. Nearly got tempted by Spesh Secteur Comp Compact, looks lovely but not certain it's enough of an upgrade.

I have the CAAD10 with a mix of Campy, Vento wheels (to stay on this thread), Chorus brakes, Centaur STI, Veloce Rear Der, Veloce cluster and FSA SLK Crank. Slowbee the Vento's are bomb proof, 2nd set and very happy (they are R1 899.00 at CWC). Dracs don't test the the CAAD10 "you will buy it". Never had such a superb ride and the frame was only R8 000.00 from John O'connor Cycles.

on topic but still a bit of a mini hijack... What do you guys think of these Fulcrum Racing 1's

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/fulcrum-racing-1-wheelset-silver

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/sites/default/files/product_images/Racing_1_Silver.jpg

Fulcrum Racing 1 Wheelset (Silver) Campagnolo R4 999.00 was R 9500

Just confirmed my order at cwc - and big thanks to Louis who kindly sorted a swop to shimano body for me... :clap: Did I get as good a deal as I think I did?

My thinking was the same as slowbee's... I've almost bought about 3 different bikes in the last week - so the wheels are scratching that itch for now even if my 4 yr old alu giant isn't quite worthy... a new frame etc will definately follow in the next 6- 12 months as well...

Fulcrum are good wheels, same as campy. Interesting that they don't sell as well. By the way, who is the importer for Fulcrum? Good deal you got there

I bought a new set of Shimano Ultegra wheels from a fellow hubber about a year ago for R2k. Cant say I was too impressed after a spoke broke and I had to replace the freebody ... HOWEVER I used them for the 94.7 this year and I was very impressed with the fact that I was still free wheeling half way up some hills when most other folks were hard at work. Downhills very impressive again I seemed to be much faster than most without too much work.

Fulcrum are good wheels, same as campy. Interesting that they don't sell as well. By the way, who is the importer for Fulcrum? Good deal you got there

Those Racing 1's are awesome. AsG are the agents for Fulcrum.

what are the views of rolff vector wheels?

Depends on which one's. I had the Vector Comp's and Vector Pro's. Lovely strong wheels. Bit heavy, but almost bullet proof. Did almost 15 000 km on my two sets, with nary a problem.

I know that they stopped producing Rolf's when Mr. Rolf went to work at bontrager. Finding spares for the older wheels will therefore be a problem.

Thanks. That is quit interesting, as JJ Cycling used to import them some years back

ahh - ASG really have a nice range... Next race I show up at will have their wheels, glasses and helmet... Really they may as well sponsor me a frame as well... Dogma's a little on the heavy side but I'll put up with it, :lol: thanks all for the validation of my buy... can't wait to freewheel up a hill! I wasn't banking on them being ant-gravity - but all the better :clap: :clap:

Slowbee those look very cool too and R1500 is a steel!