Kyalami Price Increase

Wheelsuck

I'm struggling with this post - I'm not sure where I stand. Mostly because I see things from both sides...

As a paying cyclists we are consumers, in a capitalistic society. Our JOB is to make sure we get a fair bang for our Buck. So yes we should make a noise when the price increase is huge (and well done on getting it back down to R15)

But the flip side, is that these venues cost fortunes! Freeeeaaakin' Fortunes to make and fortunes to maintain. I am sayingthat we've seen so many cycling tracks and venues come and go over the years and the bottom line is that if the places can't make enough dosh to be viable concerns, we will loose them...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But the flip side, is that these venues cost fortunes! Freeeeaaakin' Fortunes to make and fortunes to maintain. I am sayingthat we've seen so many cycling tracks and venues come and go over the years and the bottom line is that if the places can't make enough dosh to be viable concerns, we will loose them...

Finally a sound argument! I take your point - but remember in this particular case cycling is not in anyway core to the existence or otherwise of Kyalami. This is clearly demonstrated by the fact that the track is closed on days when they have something else on. Offering the venue for cyclists and runners is just a sensible way to get some income on a pre-existing asset at a time it otherwise sits idle and generates no income. Their marginal cost for offering this cannot be big at all.

Clearly it has to be worth their while though and the right price is one which both them and sufficient cyclists are happy to live with. I've noticed a big jump in numbers this year compared to last year, and my honest opinion is they got a little carried away and thought they could push their luck - and were clearly surprised by the backlash.

Okay, let look at this Kyalami issue from a different angle. The track was built for racing cars that is their core business. Opening it to cyclist for two hours does not in my view incur a significant cost especially considering that there is nothing else that is provided other than a guy collecting the cash on entry.

I just feel that the price increase is not justified purely this being an extra income at relatively very little or no cost. They don't clean the tyre debris before cyclist get on the track, there is no water being handed or any form of support so what the heck justifies the increase? This is a case of greed, pure greed. The track is not losing anything by giving two hours access to cyclist because the business model is based on racing cars. Anything else is pure EXTRA!!!!!!

Edited by Nedrider

Okay, let look at this Kyalami issue from a different angle. The track was built for racing cars that is their core business. Opening it to cyclist for two hours does not in my view incur a significant cost especially considering that there is nothing else that is provided other than a guy collecting the cash on entry.

I just feel that the price increase is not justified purely this being an extra income at relatively very little or no cost. They don't clean the tyre debris before cyclist get on the track, there is no water being handed or any form of support so what the heck justifies the increase? This is a case of greed, pure greed. The track is not losing anything by giving two hours access to cyclist because the business model is based on racing cars. Anything else is pure EXTRA!!!!!!

That is seemingly a sound argument, IF this is true... Everybody is assuming that it is a viable concern. I am suggesting that it is going the way of decay and that there actually isn't enough money to sustain the track in the present term and form.

Oh, apologies.....

Either way, considering the opportunities to ride in a safe controlled environment after work, for me it's remains a bargain

:thumbup:

It's a service to the public.

Charging is apt.

Annual increasing is apt.

100% increase is a lil rough.

Is the service value worth it - yebo!

;)

Price dropped.... Guess the bitching paid off?

Let's hope it remains profitable and they don't close the track due to it "not being worth it"

I responded when i saw the notice to say do a punch card system like Northern farms. Ticket system where you purchase a book and they take would also work. Make the card/book better value for money than a "day visitor". You don't have the cash on hand & change problem.

While the increase may seem steep when you read it, look at what you pay to ride at Northern Farms, Bike Park, Rietvlei, Groenkloof etc, so called manicured single track venues, Kyalami also needs to be maintained. Even at R20 i'd still be happy to train there.

During hectic training season where i'd want to get 2 work outs a day, Kyalami affords me the evening luxury, i have 0 inclination to compete with cars trying to get home.

For newbies as well, it's a great place to learn & train in a safe secure environment @ what i believe is a minimal cost. Ladies can train there safely as well without having to worry about crap like what happens if i puncture or how vulnerable am i to the elements/riff raff.

I make the most of my training time there, normally min of 1.5 hrs.

Either way, you decide for yourself if it's worth it or not, i'm sure you're all big children ;)

hahahaha, you were being ripped off for an extra R5. the rest of us were paying R10.

Nothing like a little greed to bring in the new year, perhaps a nice drop in their revenue got them to reconsider. Pity that one of the last 'safe' road riding spots is being squeezed. Pretty soon everyone will be on mtb. Oh wait I forgot, Teak Place also closed down...

Hub over reaction blink.gif

Damn, you guys are cheapskyts! we have been paying R 20 or is it 25 for many moons already at Kilarney on a Wednesday evening and then that is only for max 1hr if the light holds. To date no one has complained yet.

Those sessions you guys have there each week is really a great addition to any training week. You are lucky to be able to do this. We are trying to do the same here in my hometown. A 1hr criterium on a very safe 6km lap around the outskirts of town. If the attendance is good we will also be asking a R20 entry fee but the winner takes it all home.

Those sessions you guys have there each week is really a great addition to any training week. You are lucky to be able to do this. We are trying to do the same here in my hometown. A 1hr criterium on a very safe 6km lap around the outskirts of town. If the attendance is good we will also be asking a R20 entry fee but the winner takes it all home.

Split it amongst the podium finishers, and keep equals for the ladies.

Edited by 'Kaze Pete

Split it amongst the podium finishers, and keep equals for the ladies.

We 1st need to get this off the ground. If the interest is there we will have different groups so guys of equal ability can take each other on. It will be informal at this stage

That is seemingly a sound argument, IF this is true... Everybody is assuming that it is a viable concern. I am suggesting that it is going the way of decay and that there actually isn't enough money to sustain the track in the present term and form.

Are you suggesting the two hours of cycling income does have an impact on the operational survival of the track? Your point will work only if the sustainability model of the track was based on both car racing and cycling being income streams for the track. I guess time will tell............... :D :D