Holiday riding - CPT and about

hayleyearth

I will be in Stellenbosch and Cape Town from the 16th - 26th December and my MTB will be traveling with me. :clap:

I am planning to go ride the following trails:

1. Jonkershoek (Stellenbosch)

2. Schapenberg (Somerset West)

3. Welvanspas (Wellington)

4. Contermanskloof (Durbanville)

5. Tokai (CPT)

6. Table Mountain or Cape Point

My planning looks as follow, but I am open for changes if I get some of you to join!

#1 - Friday 16th [it is a date, so no one may join :blush: ]

#2 - Sunday 18th or Monday 19th

#3 - Wednesday 21st

#4 - Tuesday 20th

#5 - Thursday 22nd

#6 - Friday 23rd or Satday 24th

Time of day is neg.

Let me know who is keen!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be keen to meet up for some trail blazing for sure, I'm there from the 22nd till the 9th. I'm based in Century City, but can drive anywhere :)

I will be in Stellenbosch and Cape Town from the 16th - 26th December and my MTB will be traveling with me. :clap:

I am planning to go ride the following trails:

1. Jonkershoek (Stellenbosch)

2. Schapenberg (Somerset West)

3. Welvanspas (Wellington)

4. Contermanskloof (Durbanville)

5. Tokai (CPT)

6. Table Mountain or Cape Point

My planning looks as follow, but I am open for changes if I get some of you to join!

#1 - Friday 16th [it is a date, so no one may join :blush: ]

#2 - Sunday 18th or Monday 19th

#3 - Wednesday 21st

#4 - Tuesday 20th

#5 - Thursday 22nd

#6 - Friday 23rd or Satday 24th

Time of day is neg.

Let me know who is keen!

Nothing planned for the Sat after your big date in Jonkies....Keeping the options open in case things go well?

Nothing planned for the Sat after your big date in Jonkies....Keeping the options open in case things go well?

Nah, then it is time for markets and boating :D

You're missing out on some of the best riding - skip Contermans and go over the mountain to Grabouw and Oak Valley.

You're missing out on some of the best riding - skip Contermans and go over the mountain to Grabouw and Oak Valley.

Where would you suggest the best places to ride are, and which are the places to avoid :unsure: I tend to ride mostly on my own

Lebanon in Grabouw has probably got the best single track of all. Then Oak Valley and Grabouw MTO Forrestry is also must rides. We are doing the 40km Grabouw MTO ride at 8AM on Friday the 16th, we ride medium paced speed, meet us at the Groubouw Country Club gates at 8AM if anyone wants to join us.

Nah, then it is time for markets and boating :D

The Stellies slow food market is very lekker especially after working up a bit of a hunger on the bike. Nice weather forecast for the weekend...enjoy the boating while the conditions last as when the summer winds decide to pay us a visit there'll be boating no more unless it's a downwind surfski paddle or maybe an impromptu lilo journey from Gordons Bay to Fishoek.

Lebanon in Grabouw has probably got the best single track of all. Then Oak Valley and Grabouw MTO Forrestry is also must rides. We are doing the 40km Grabouw MTO ride at 8AM on Friday the 16th, we ride medium paced speed, meet us at the Groubouw Country Club gates at 8AM if anyone wants to join us.

Is this 40km MTO ride you refer to a marked route or do you just wing it? Other than in races I haven't ridden Grabouw forest in ages. Went to Oak Valley again two weeks ago and while good flowing I fun was a bit disappointed in the rush factor...nothing very technical there though I think that is the tip of the iceberg as to what is available in that area...I need to spend some time there with someone that knows it well.

Jonkershoek offers some of the best variety for me.

Eden is always a jol when you have two hours to kill...so much rollercoasterness.

Don't drop Contermanskloof. It is great riding. If anything drop Table Mountain.

I will be riding most days in the Durbanville area and am really familiar with the trails.

Happy to ride with anyone (don't mind slowing down or waiting)

Re:Caerus - as we will be meeting anyway, I would love to show you the Durbanville trails. I am on Holiday from 23rd to 3rd.

Don't drop Contermanskloof. It is great riding. If anything drop Table Mountain.

I will be riding most days in the Durbanville area and am really familiar with the trails.

Happy to ride with anyone (don't mind slowing down or waiting)

Re:Caerus - as we will be meeting anyway, I would love to show you the Durbanville trails. I am on Holiday from 23rd to 3rd.

Awesome, I will have loads of time to ride while the missus is at work, thanks for the offer. :thumbup:

The Mrs and I will be in Somerset West from the 18th to the 29th December :clap:

Yes the bikes are coming with us so we will definitely be keen to meet up with some Hubbers for a ride together...

We're keen to do as much riding as possible with beer breaks inbetween :lol:

Edited by SeanN

Where would you suggest the best places to ride are, and which are the places to avoid :unsure: I tend to ride mostly on my own

Most places down here are safe - the only place I would worry about is Table Mountain.

I tend to prefer Lebanon too - a bit more of a technical rush, while Oak Valley is more a manicured red carpet kind of ride. You know we're spoiled for choice when you can fill a week with riding at a different place each day, and still have places left over.

Most places down here are safe - the only place I would worry about is Table Mountain.

I'm down there for 3 weeks, so hopefully would like to fit a ride on the Mountain with someone if possible :)