Tubeless tyres vs converted tyres

doppelganger

Hi guys

I want to get rid of the tubes so now I need to know:

do I convert my current tyres (original tyres on Merida Matts 100) or do I buy new tubeless tyres?

Your thoughts please...

The low down: possible to do a 'conversion' but ultimately better off doing the full monty with UST tyres and rim tape. Try do a search, much has been written on the subject.

Like the previous poster said, you can use non-ust tyres for your conversion, but the tyre bead would not make a pefect seal. Chances are that the tyre can come off mid -ride, and then you are in trouble. Get proper tyres and enjoy peace of mind, and your ride.

had the whole debate the other day...

see the thread below:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/109267-using-non-ust-tyres-for-tubeless/page__st__16__p__1519615__hl__non+ust__fromsearch__1#entry1519615

I'm running conti x king and race king protection tyres which are not UST tyres, but after extensive research, I was told that they are strong enough to withstand the forces of running tubeless.

My advice on your merida tyres ... NO no no! I had similar tyres on my merida, and the quality is not that great!

As someone once told me...."dont go ghetto!" :clap:

I had a conversion done on my old bike. The front tyre burped going down a mountain pass.Was not a nice experience. Go the UST route and do it properly. Non UST also tend to have side wall cuts.

thanx for the feedback guys. I will check out some new tyres. I will do the odd race but mainly ride for the love of it...so want good tyres but don't require the best

off to the shop I go....

• 2 months later...

Maxxis Crossmark LUST (The non-stinking version) works well for me. 2.25 front, and 2.1 rear

Hi, was this foldable Crossmark LUST's or with a wire bead?

Thanks, g

With regards to rim tape, be careful what brand you use. I converted mine using the BBT rim strip and it seems to be working fine. Two months back I converted my wifes wheels and I'm not having much luck. The strip leaks around the valve area so you fasten the valve nut a bit more to try get a seal, eventually the strip splits. I have tried contacting BBT via e-mail, seems they do not want to talk. I have now gone with a full UST wheel set.

A lot depends on the rim and tyre combination. I ran non-tubless Maxxis Monorails on my Mavic Crossmax SLR's for two years with absolutely no problems

Well done on loosing the tubes, welcome to the world of tubeless.

Edited by Wallee

Or you could do the proper full-on ghetto tubeless conversion - cut out a valve from an old tube (about 2cm of the rubber must remain around the valve, or it has nothing to grip on) and superglue it in place on the naked rim. Then wrap the rim in electrical tape, and poke a hole for the air to flow through. Superglue the hole in the electrical tape to the old valve, and hey presto!

For a troublesome tire/rim combo, cut the old tube so that it resembles a rim strip. Far cheaper than buying a rim strip all the time...

Tubless tyres - UST - are the best option, but they are not all the same - a Maxxis is heavier and stronger than the equivalent Conti "tubeless" tyre. Then again, it depends how and where you ride... If you can afford it, rather buy proper tubeless rims than a conversionkit - they are far easier to inflate than a converted rim.

I have used many many non-UST tyres as tubeless and have always boasted about how they work perfectly fine. Which they probably do 99.9% of the time...probably depending riding style and more importantly as long as you keep them properly inflated which negates half the reason for having them in the first place.

I was using non UST Exiwolves on a Tubeless wheelset earlier this year. I'd been using them and others with no hassles for a long time but was riding them at quite a low pressure this fateful day in Jonkies, landed a flat jump and burped a bit of air out, didn't pay it any attention, landed the next jump on an off-camber singletrack, burped the rest out and the results have been a complete c*ckup to say the least.

Whether it would have happpened with a proper UST tyre or not I can't say for sure but what I can say is that the 500 or whatever buck saved on set of tyres was not worth the crutches, the titanium pins in the ankle, the month off work, the two months of not being able to drive, the three or more months of not riding not to mention the medical expenses past and physio, Bio etc going forward...It probably depends largely on your setup / rims but make sure you keep an eye on tyre pressure ... don't ride them too pap!

Weight weenies use non-UST tyres but they are normally light themselves as well as knowing what they are doing.

My friend non-UST tyre came off while riding and left him with plenty of roasties.

May be worth considering Stans No Tubes as they OK pretty much all tyres so you'll save on tyres in the long run. From their site below.

"Stan’s NoTubes mountain rims and converted tube-type mountain rims will work successfully tubeless with most types of tires including standard tube-type tires, tubeless ready tires, and tubeless specific tires.

Other brands of tubeless specific rims require tubeless specific tires or tubeless ready tires for successful tubeless use. These brands of tubeless specific rims can be converted for use with standard tube-type tires with the correct rubber rim strip.

Road tubeless applications require tubeless specific road tires. Tubeless specific road tires have a reinforced bead that will handle high pressure tubeless use.

Compatible Tubeless Tires:

All Tubeless tires are compatible:

UST, LUST, UST-lite, 2Bliss, Tubeless Ready, TNT (tube no tube)

Compatible Non Tubeless* tires:

29er Tires: All

26inch Tires:

Nokian

Continental

Kenda

Specialized

Bontrager

Geax

Schwalbe

Maxxis

and most other brands

Not Recommend Tires

Hutchinson Air-Light tires – the bead is too weak for tubeless use resulting in tire blowing off the rim at low inflation pressures.

Hutchinson Tubeless Cyclocross tires – carbon fiber tire bead requires excessive pressure to seat properly often leading to tire blowing off the rim.

*Use of sealant in non-tubeless tires may void the tires manufacturer’s warranty.

Tech Tip - Tire pressure

To determine a starting tire pressure when running NoTubes tires with our ZTR rim use this simple formula.

Rider Weight in pounds divided by 7 = x

x - 1 = Front tire pressure in PSI

x + 2 = Rear tire pressure in PSI"