Digital Camera

baie-sukkel

What camera should I look at? Wantng to get into photography and would like to know what camera(body)and lenses should I be looking at, I know one can spend any amount on it, but that's not the aim,my aim is to get some info from all you camera fundies on something that will be good bang for my buck.

Thanks

I'm happy with my Nikon D5000. Bought it in a 2 lens bundle (18mm - 55mm and 55mm to 200mm)

It's a great "entry level" DSLR Camera and value for money. :clap: :clap:

The only thing I don't like is the fact that I need to change lenses for different scenario's. If i had a choice again, I'd go for a 18mm to 200mm lens instead.

in terms of camera brand, there is no "best" camera to have out of Canon / Nikon (I cringe whilst saying this, as I'm a die-hard Canon fan)

Entry level Nikon = D 5000

Entry Level Canon = 500D / 600D

One word of advice though - a good lens will impact the quality of your shots (clarity etc) hugely. In fact, the lens is much like the wheelset of the cycling world. The first upgrade you should make, and if you are considering migrating to a "better" camera, rather spend the money on a couple of new, good, lenses. The difference will be far more than taking your existing lenses across to a new body...

ITO lenses. I never use the kit 18-55mm lens. I have an 18-200 and a 50mm. I've also just picked up an old Sigma 18-300mm (with 300mm MACRO) and a Minolta 18-55, which I will most likely sell on or donate to a needy person.

The 18-200 is the one that's on the camera the most, but only for ease of use and variety of focal lengths. The 50mm lens, however, is a beaut, and is honestly the single lens I would choose if I could only choose one of my current lenses.

Good luck!

in terms of camera brand, there is no "best" camera to have out of Canon / Nikon (I cringe whilst saying this, as I'm a die-hard Canon fan)

Entry level Nikon = D 5000

Entry Level Canon = 500D / 600D

One word of advice though - a good lens will impact the quality of your shots (clarity etc) hugely. In fact, the lens is much like the wheelset of the cycling world. The first upgrade you should make, and if you are considering migrating to a "better" camera, rather spend the money on a couple of new, good, lenses. The difference will be far more than taking your existing lenses across to a new body...

ITO lenses. I never use the kit 18-55mm lens. I have an 18-200 and a 50mm. I've also just picked up an old Sigma 18-300mm (with 300mm MACRO) and a Minolta 18-55, which I will most likely sell on or donate to a needy person.

The 18-200 is the one that's on the camera the most, but only for ease of use and variety of focal lengths. The 50mm lens, however, is a beaut, and is honestly the single lens I would choose if I could only choose one of my current lenses.

Good luck!

cptmayhem.....i'm a needy person requiring a 18-300mm :thumbup: :thumbup:

Depending on what your requirements are your choice is varied. As far as the "entry level" DSLR's go, Canon and Nikon offer a lot of affordable aftermarket accessories and both are reputable brands. Sony's Alpha range are gaining momentum (One of the very few brands that offer in body image stabilisation which maks aftermarket lens purchases a lot more affordable).

Sony's NEX range could also be a possibility. Mirrorless camera with a range of features. Bridging the gap between compact and DSLRs.

Don't be blown away by spec and jargon. Do your homework. Have a look at the following link:

DP Review

A lot of info a vailable as well as a side by side comparison option.

Choose wisely. It will be a choice you live with for a while.

Good Luck!

Get a camera body which allows you to use older lenses as well, for example a nikon D7000 or a marked down d90. A d5000 has no internal focussing system. I see you are from Irene,go the Foto discount at Farm Village mall,speak to Frikkie and let him to guide you along. Also look at prices on orms and sacamera websites.have fun

Edited by wynandvdmerwe

Thanks so much for the replies,I am taking note of what is said so far, please keep the recommendations and suggestions coming. :thumbup: Regards Gustav

Head to Kameraz in Rosebank http://www.kameraz.co.za/ . Awesome service from those guys and great prices. The GF just got a Nikon D5100 with 2 lenses and a few extras last Sunday. Been a while since i have been in a shop and had such great service. Explained everything to us and was not just trying to make a quick buck, left us to decide what option we wanted.

Depending on what your requirements are your choice is varied. As far as the "entry level" DSLR's go, Canon and Nikon offer a lot of affordable aftermarket accessories and both are reputable brands. Sony's Alpha range are gaining momentum (One of the very few brands that offer in body image stabilisation which maks aftermarket lens purchases a lot more affordable).

Sony's NEX range could also be a possibility. Mirrorless camera with a range of features. Bridging the gap between compact and DSLRs.

Don't be blown away by spec and jargon. Do your homework. Have a look at the following link:

DP Review

A lot of info a vailable as well as a side by side comparison option.

Choose wisely. It will be a choice you live with for a while.

Good Luck!

Grebel, I saw your thread on ODP.

It's a conundrum, so many opinions some biased some valid and on it goes.

Same as here.

I suggest that the OP decide with emotion, buy which ever camera appeals to you aesthetically , then see if the price is right.

I have a Sony NEX, very nice camera but images just not up there with the SLR's.

The Sigma 18-200 mm lens is awesome but not great in low light.

Canon have a 50 mm f1.8, cheap as chips and super sharp.

Canon Macro lenses are cheaper than the Nikons but their L series lenses are super costly.

Play with bodies, touch and feel and see if the button layout suits you.

Have you found something yet Greb's ?

Havent's seen pics from you in a while :(

cptmayhem.....i'm a needy person requiring a 18-300mm :thumbup: :thumbup:

Haha! The 18-300mm is being held firmly by my large, grubby paws! It's just the Minolta 18-55 that I would consider flogging...

Nikon D3100, there is also the new D5100 now. Both really nice camera's at reasonable price. Good luck and enjoy!

Alas, this question cannot be answered. When you start out, take the plunge with anything (Dangle had a good suggestion i.m.o = buy what appeals to you now). You will still end up, guaranteed, at a different place a year or two from now (with more money spent). Only after *some time* does one kinda settle w.r.t photographic kit and with what is "good enough". Enjoy the ride, you may be surprised at where you eventually settle ...

Edited by Pronutro

Haha! The 18-300mm is being held firmly by my large, grubby paws! It's just the Minolta 18-55 that I would consider flogging...

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :( :( :( :(

Enjoy it!!! I'm actually looking at selling my bike to by a lens :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Grebel, I saw your thread on ODP.

It's a conundrum, so many opinions some biased some valid and on it goes.

Same as here.

I suggest that the OP decide with emotion, buy which ever camera appeals to you aesthetically , then see if the price is right.

I have a Sony NEX, very nice camera but images just not up there with the SLR's.

The Sigma 18-200 mm lens is awesome but not great in low light.

Canon have a 50 mm f1.8, cheap as chips and super sharp.

Canon Macro lenses are cheaper than the Nikons but their L series lenses are super costly.

Play with bodies, touch and feel and see if the button layout suits you.

Have you found something yet Greb's ?

Havent's seen pics from you in a while :(

Hey Dangle,

After reading all the comments from the guys that posted on ODP, it is clear that there will always be a canon vs Nikon vs everybody else debate. Comparing the same level Sony with a Canon and a Nikon, the specs are very similar. I did the sums and I would be in for a few grand to go to a 600D. The step to the 60D worked out at about R8k if I got a reasonable price for my camera and it would still be classified as a entry level / intermediate level setup.

I decided to stick with what I have and invest the money in knowledge! I am hoping to do a part time intermediate course early next year and learn to use ALL the functions on my existing camera first. It make sense to outgrow your camera before upgrading, not buy a bigger faster rig so I can swing my d!ck with the main okes!

I picked up an Alpha flash for a steal on ODP as well. Plan of action is do the course to properly understand the equipment, possibly look at a 50mm prime for the Alpha and practice, practise, practise!

Not too much picture taking happening at the moment... :( End of year is always crazy! Have taken two weeks off so I will be playing! Keep an eye on the thread... I took a few the other day but the standard was cr@p so I binned them.

Have you seen the spec on the new NEX7? :drool:

What camera should I look at? Wantng to get into photography and would like to know what camera(body)and lenses should I be looking at, I know one can spend any amount on it, but that's not the aim,my aim is to get some info from all you camera fundies on something that will be good bang for my buck.

Thanks

I assume you'll not need a full size chip camera like a 5D mk2.

I'd stay away from kits lenses if at all possible. You can buy a 550D body and go from there. If you intend on using the camera for filming, go for the 600D as it has a flip down screen which is handy.

The basic lenses that come with these cameras are not really that great. Rather pony up and buy some good ones as you need them. the 50mm f1.4 is about R3k and is awesome for portraits etc. You can most shots with position, but it's really hard to cheat a wide shot, so I'd then look at a zoom lens like the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8. It's about as much as the body but will serve you very well in the field. Look at things like the 80mm prime as well. It's a bit too long for street shooting though. I normally have a 17-55 zoom on the camera if it's the only lens I can carry. If I have the space I'll pop a 30mm or 50mm prime in the bag too.

Try steer clear of the 'all-in-one' lenses with huge ranges. There is a compromise in terms of clarity in certain areas of the zoom range and normally the apperture is not fast enough to cover a wide range of light conditions.

So, in short, get the body first, 1 good lense. Go from there. I'm a Canon man, but Nikon is great too.