RIP - 2 cyclists killed

Frosty

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart and prayers go out to the family and friends. It is really sad. This accident, as any accident, shows how short and precious live is. It is really important to live life without regrets and to make sure of where you will spend eternity. Only as God's children will we be able to rest in peace.

Thanks TW. I read the thread and the linked news stories and they both have very little detail.

At least I know who the cyclists were. Didn't know them but condolences to friends and family. RIP fellow cyclists.

The Policemen responsible for this tragic accident should be dealt with in the same manner the taxi driver was who caused 10 children to die in his taxi in Eersterivier in the Western Cape. They should face murder charges and not culpable homicide. They surely must have driven recklessly.

Condolences to the loved ones of our fellow cyclists.

I was knocked down by a drunk cop two years ago on Kingfisher Road in Sunward. 07h30 in the morning, he jumped a red robot, hit me and stopped 100 meters up the road. Fortunately there was a Metro cop who witnessed it and took a breathalyser, arresting him straight away. I was very lucky in that he pushed me off to the side of the road and not underneath him, but it was enough to shatter my nerves and make me take up mountain biking. Yesterday got onto my road bike for the first time in 2 years and loved it, now this - think the road bike will go back into hybernation!!

I was knocked down by a drunk cop two years ago on Kingfisher Road in Sunward. 07h30 in the morning, he jumped a red robot, hit me and stopped 100 meters up the road. Fortunately there was a Metro cop who witnessed it and took a breathalyser, arresting him straight away. I was very lucky in that he pushed me off to the side of the road and not underneath him, but it was enough to shatter my nerves and make me take up mountain biking. Yesterday got onto my road bike for the first time in 2 years and loved it, now this - think the road bike will go back into hybernation!!

Was there a successful prosecution?

Was there a successful prosecution?

I was called in twice by the Station Commander to testify in a disciplinary hearing. Second time was told that if he pleads guilty to driving under the influence, they would not require my testimy. He was always in civvies as if not back at work and I felt that the matter was being taken seriously, but was never told what the outcome was. You only get angry after the fact, at the time I was just grateful to be ok.

This is just absolutley tragic.I suppose the cops will cover this one up somehow.I just dont believe that this happens on a well known cycling road,surely the cops knew this but couldnt give a continental.When will we some action given to cycling lanes.

I was called in twice by the Station Commander to testify in a disciplinary hearing. Second time was told that if he pleads guilty to driving under the influence, they would not require my testimy. He was always in civvies as if not back at work and I felt that the matter was being taken seriously, but was never told what the outcome was. You only get angry after the fact, at the time I was just grateful to be ok.

I love how the cops seem to cover these things with an internal DC, yet very few are ever prosecuted in a court of law.

We are saddened by this tragic news, we pray for the families during this very difficult time. Please accept our condolences.

We encourage the cyclist in the Alberton area to try and accompany the Road Rangers, Safety Marshals every Saturday morning. This Motorcycle group has been active in this area for the last 18 or so months.

There is an 40km Marshaled ride starting from the Klipriver, Swartkoppies Road Intersection at 07:00. We do the Lido group. The Marshals also accompany the longer riders from time to time, but is a bit difficult with the group splitting up.

The Marshals are deeply touched by this and we want to work with the cycling community in this area to try and make the routes even safer.

Once again, Heartfelt condolences to those left behind.

I am new on this blog. Please accept my condolence.

I want to start this year with cycling after years of NO Ride, but I am so scared for vehicles. I am staying in Sasolburg and often observed cyclist riding on the Sasolburg / Parys road (R59). Is this a safe road to cycle?

Edited by Boatsie