ASG Trans Baviaans 24hr MTB Marathon 2012

EcoBound MTB Events

I've just come out of a week & half of flu & wild coughing...antibiotics klaar!! :clap: ...slowly eased back into the revolution of my spinning bike pedal stoke last nite. Praying for no relapse!! :wacko: Still sniffles & slight "wet cough....but Bavs is around the corner now!! Being the first TB, all the training & effort up to now, then the flu, more wet weather....flippin cold again!!, reading all the reports on the forum here,,,, I guess right now my modus op is now to stop stressing, Traditional Bavs or Langs Bav?, niggling flu bug, this that.....and just go for a finish! :unsure: ...

Edited by skywalker1

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rains all the way from Mosselbay and currently bucketing in PE (again). Just when proper Baviaans seems like an option, it rains again. It'll probably be Langs Baviaans again this year.

Teen vanoggend 08H00 was daar gelukkig net 19mm in Joubertina en 2mm in Willowmore (24hr) , maar nou lyk dit na nog reen vanaf Sondag to Dinsdag aand...

If there is a route change this year again, when can we expect this confirmation, holding thumbs this does not happen....

Want to do the real deal not LangBaviaans like last year, got that medal with great difficulty....

If there is a route change this year again, when can we expect this confirmation, holding thumbs this does not happen....

Want to do the real deal not LangBaviaans like last year, got that medal with great difficulty....

Devy you have another langbaviaans in you :thumbup:

Langs sucks. I was reduced to pushing most of the Grootrivier uphill. I'd rather do Bergplaas 3 times than that hill again.

Langs sucks. I was reduced to pushing most of the Grootrivier uphill. I'd rather do Bergplaas 3 times than that hill again.

+1 and what ever it takes

Rather surprisingly, I hate MOAC way more than the Grootrivier climb. I've spent many a sunset walking up to Bergplaas, with the occasional purging of stomach contents along the way, while we were able to ride the whole up the Grootrivier climb.

That said, I still think LangsBaviaans is tougher than the real Baviaans, and not nearly as scenic as riding through the Kloof.

Rather surprisingly, I hate MOAC way more than the Grootrivier climb. I've spent many a sunset walking up to Bergplaas, with the occasional purging of stomach contents along the way, while we were able to ride the whole up the Grootrivier climb.

That said, I still think LangsBaviaans is tougher than the real Baviaans, and not nearly as scenic as riding through the Kloof.

Eish!! Do we Baviaan's virgins have something to worry about.... :whistling:

Well,you will have nothing to compare it with...In short, Langs is tougher but you will not have done anything different training-wise, so nothing to worry about :thumbup:

My wife and about 10 other mtb'ers did about 180 km's of the race this last week end.She says Bergplaas is much worse than she expected (and she is a good climber) and the Fangs are crazy steep.

She also says that the profile of the first 100 km's or so shows quite a lot of downhill but don't be shocked/surprised by all the climbing that also needs to be done.

There is still a lot of water around and whilst she didn't count,they crossed the river around 25 times,the deepest being almost waist deep.

I think you should expect a very tough,cold and wet route.

Thank goodness I am driving the back up vehicle.

I don't think so - you're still going to be in for a long day out, you're still going to look after yourself exactly as you would in the Kloof. It's just going to take a little longer. The best strategy for a first timer is water point to water point. And have fun - after all - that's the reason you're doing this.

Although Fangs and MAC tough they are rideable whereas I found the GrootRivier climb definitely not rideable the whole way - my opinion!

I have never ridden MAC but we also pushed a hell of a lot up Grootriver climb.By the time we got to the base of MAC the sun was beginning to set.We struggled to ride on the loose "klippe" made worse of all the support vehicles and camera crew that already went up the climb before us.Nearly everyone was pushing.There was small sections it flattened out a bit, but it was more of an effort getting on the bike and riding the 10meters before falling down or coming to a standstill cause of riders pushing their bikes in front of you.So it was better to walk at the end of the day.

I have never ridden MAC but we also pushed a hell of a lot up Grootriver climb.By the time we got to the base of MAC the sun was beginning to set.We struggled to ride on the loose "klippe" made worse of all the support vehicles and camera crew that already went up the climb before us.Nearly everyone was pushing.There was small sections it flattened out a bit, but it was more of an effort getting on the bike and riding the 10meters before falling down or coming to a standstill cause of riders pushing their bikes in front of you.So it was better to walk at the end of the day.

The loose "klippe" was me spinning up the climb. -)

Edited by jiggs

Dont know why people say Bergplaas is SO bad. I dont think so. Just dont ever think you are on top untill you actually see the "Bergplaas" little board on your right.

I am not a good climber at all - actually not great on the bike as a whole and I have climbed it with one go a few times already.

I think the fangs are more tricky, but still do-able.

SO BUMMED I am not doing the race anymore!