Hit and run in Hillcrest…

Tumbleweed

An update via the Mercury:

Charlie van Heerden was discharged, but Lauren Snell "lost conscious after sustaining serious head injuries, and was placed in the hospital’s ICU, where she is in a critical

condition".

Mention has been made of the number plate at the scene, but this morning's story doesn't make that clear. However, Charlie " 'managed to take down the number plate of the vehicle before it disappeared…I gave the registration number to the police' ".

According to the article, Police Lieutenant-Colonel Vincent Mdunge said "officers had the details of the vehicle’s driver, but the motorist had not been arrested yet".

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently Lauren had only been riding for a year, but had survived a collision with a car in October. There is a pic of the bikes on Page 3 of the paper with Charlie. Not sure whose bike is whose, but the Merida's top tube and down tube are snapped. The rear wheel of the Fuji is taco-ed, and the saddle is snapped off the rails.

Here's hoping Lauren pulls through this.

:angry:

Apparently Lauren had only been riding for a year, but had survived a collision with a car in October. There is a pic of the bikes on Page 3 of the paper with Charlie. Not sure whose bike is whose, but the Merida's top tube and down tube are snapped. The rear wheel of the Fuji is taco-ed, and the saddle is snapped off the rails.

Here's hoping Lauren pulls through this.

:angry:

+1. The description of the wreckage is quite hectic. To snap a frame takes quite a bit of force. I truly hope that the tjop that did this gets jail time.

Was shocked to read about this! Both Charlie and Lauren are regular club ride participants with Cycle Lab Supercycling.....The Merida was Laurens and the blue bike (Fuji?) belonged to Charlie....

Hope that Lauren recovers well - will be praying for that in the coming days

Was shocked to read about this! Both Charlie and Lauren are regular club ride participants with Cycle Lab Supercycling.....The Merida was Laurens and the blue bike (Fuji?) belonged to Charlie....

Hope that Lauren recovers well - will be praying for that in the coming days

Just read this in this afternoon's Daily News:

The Hillcrest Private Hospital said she was in the ICU last night, awake and in a stable condition.

She has a laceration to her head, a minor skull fracture, a facial fracture and multiple abrasions to her face, arms and legs.

+1. The description of the wreckage is quite hectic. To snap a frame takes quite a bit of force. I truly hope that the tjop that did this gets jail time.

Chap. It's a bicycle for crying out loud. You can snap it by jumping on it!

Putting a vehicle through it is a case of no contest!

Have just contacted both Hillcrest and Pinetown SAPS and they say there is no case number = no charges have been laid....

Here we go again!

Have just contacted both Hillcrest and Pinetown SAPS and they say there is no case number = no charges have been laid....

Here we go again!

Why would the police give you that infomation, assuming you are not directly related?

Because..............!!!

.... you've lost focus on the issue at hand and are looking to blame someone, something anything.

Just forwarded the discussion link to Media24, asking for help/focus on these events so that they don't disappear between the huge cracks in our police lack of systems.

G

Now I am going to be the Devil's Advocate here (so flame away, I only take it personally if you don't share your turkish delight with me), however, let me begin by saying that the cowardly driver of the motor vehicle should be thrown inside, and allowed to watch as the key is ground to powder!

Firstly, the ER24 report was logged 05h00! The actual accident occurred approximately 30minutes before that ie. 04h30, and already the cyclists were half way up Field's Hill. In the dark. (we shall come back to that.)And in the mist (as in two days ago)

Now let me describe the geography for those far removed.

Besides being notorious for vehicle accident, Fields Hill westbound (UP)has three lanes, narrowing to two at the upper end.

The left lane, for almost two thirds of the entire climb has a cliff face on the left. For almost the ENTIRE length of the climb the road margin between the yellow line and the 'gutter' is about 800mm wide max and impossible to walk (let alone ride) in.

There are at least 3 blind corners. One severe. To the extent that driving a car around same corner, at between 60-80kph, requires emergency braking if one should encounter an 18 wheeler wheezing it's way up the hill at approximately 5-8Kph (another debate entirely).

I would not WALK up Fields Hill in broad daylight.

Now back to the 04h30 issue. Not too early to ride, sure, not too late either. We start at 05h00 to 05h30 and have to ride 5.5km of fairly narrow tar to the bush. 5.5 km that I cover with a BIG flashy red light at the rear, and a bright flashy white one on my lid. 5.5 km of hyper alert, either way. And still drivers cock up. This morning it was raining. 50% had no lights on. One shot the stop sign in front of us. An Armed Security driver played silly buggers because he could not engage his brain fast enough, all this whilst I had constant eye contact with him, but admittedly was attempting to merge in a way that he likely could never comprehend, so, shared blame there.

So we have to acknowledge that a significant number of drivers are just not able/willing to cope with something small and visually static (we will come back to that too) in their path.

Now let us add to that already sketchy scenario.

To get to Giba, we drive (it's too far!) at early bells. In the dark.(b.) You can not believe the number of lone cyclists, road and MTB, who are spinning on the tar with either NO lights, or one of those ridiculous single LED Knog excuse things! Or the number of large group rides; road, who come barreling along, full lane covered, skirting the center line. Some with light, others without.

I'm a cyclist, in a car, and I have to be hyper alert for cyclists who obviously have (a) no regard for their own well being (B) are willing to lay the responsibility for their irresponsibility at my door and (3) still have the temerity to cycle 1,5m or more into the lane.

It works both ways people. The 'other' thread about road hog group riders bears this out.

Combine these two factors, and there is only going to be disaster.

As cyclists and drivers we have to change our attitudes, and face certain realities.

Here are two:

1. At 04h30, most drivers on the road are either (a) still waking up (b.) pissed as farts (3) both.

2. At ANY TIME OF DAY, a cyclist, moving ahead and away from a driven vehicle can appear to be a static object ie. read street pole or similar, particularly if the driver is not paying attention, or glancing ahead because of other distractions. This of course is in a scenario where clear forward vision is possible, and bad light, mist, or blind corners are not involved. That perception changes completely if a rapidly flashing or reflective device is attached to that object.

So, whilst I wish these folks a very speedy recovery, and am glad they survived this accident, I also sincerely wish that they learn from it. It just is not worth it, really. Who's fault it ultimately was will not bring them back when cyclist versus car.

Last point:

Cyclist. Use the bloody flashing light! A REAL one. It only weights a knat-fart anyway.

Driver. If visibility is bad PUT YOUR BLOODY LIGHTS ON! It will not flatten the battery.

Edit: I have no idea why the last part is all bold. Only parts are supposed to be, so pay attention.

Edited by The Drongo

Here we go again!

This is contrary to the newspaper report that was previously posted in this thread which stated that the Pinetown SAPS had opened a docket for negligent and careless driving and failure to stop at an accident (see last para).

When will this carnage on cyclists stop? It just makes me so much more nervous every time i go out onto the road. I am preferring the bush riding more and more these days.