Interesting......

Andymann

Just got back from a cycling holiday in Portugal :(. Mostly MTB. Interesting to see, not one 29'er on the trail....

We saw one new one in a shop, but that was it.

Hmmmmmmm.......

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Europeans are so conservative, they are only now considering tubeless tyres. Give them another few years to decide.

Went to Germany this year. Watched the end of a MTB race and everybody seemed to have 26" no-supension on the front end steel framed jobbie from 1991.

Respect.

Local bike shop owner told me 29'ers are very much a SA thing, the following overseas isn't that great. This was about a year ago. The situation might have changed in the meantime.

Not so sure - there were tons of S-Works and Scotts as well as a few Felts on the trail and some pretty smart kit.

We rode 26'er Full Sussers btw - that's all we could get!

Went to Germany this year. Watched the end of a MTB race and everybody seemed to have 26" no-supension on the front end steel framed jobbie from 1991.

Respect.

priorities, beer and bokwurst is not so cheap anymore....

Also noticed that - one guy was pretty fast on his old Y-Frame Trek - now there's a bike from the past.

Seems like they are pretty chilled in Europe - they didn't even give us crap about the orange reflectors in our wheels..... :blink:

Also noticed that - one guy was pretty fast on his old Y-Frame Trek - now there's a bike from the past.

Seems like they are pretty chilled in Europe - they didn't even give us crap about the orange reflectors in our wheels..... :blink:

In Europe they cycle, in South Africa we race. Different attitude, Different priorities.

We seem to have this "racing mentality" in South Africa, same in the running circles, where on earth do you get so many people running 89 k's :blink:

People need to start to enjoy their riding, the races should also not be labelled as "races" anymore.

In Europe they cycle for fun and taking racing serious, in South Africa we have fun races. Different attitude, Different priorities.

Fixed it for ya ;)

I think the europeans are more into riding their bikes than pimping them, buying them etc. There it's a culture of cycling, here it's a culture of shopping.....

We seem to have this "racing mentality" in South Africa, same in the running circles, where on earth do you get so many people running 89 k's :blink:

People need to start to enjoy their riding, the races should also not be labelled as "races" anymore.

Dangle you hethen. ;)

Repeat after me:

You not a runner until you have ran comrades.

You are not a cyclist until you have cycled Argus.

We need to stop all this "timed races" bull and return to riding.

So true! I actually enjoyed the riding for the first time in ages. And what's more, our 12+kg Berg Sportzone specials which I shunned on day one were actually damn good bikes, and.....

Could I really feel the difference between Deore and XT, Tektro vs. Magura and Suntour XCM vs. Fox....

Er....not really....

Indeed, very true.

Meh, I ride for fun all the time.

But when I pay to go to an event I want to race, even if I lose. It is fun to compete and try harder than before and to beat the fat guy in denim shorts.

Nobody says you hippie lot have to take it seriously. Lots of people ride the argus with no time in mind, join them at the back if you like, but why complain about those who like bling and want to try for a pb?

And I can tell the difference between deore and xtr, an air fox or sid and a oil coil shock. If you can't then, by all means, ride that game special you have been dreaming about...