Where: Nottingham Road, Midlands, KZN, Kwazulu-Natal
Category: Road

** ON-LINE ENTRIES FOR THE MIDLANDS CYCLE TOUR 2012 ARE OPEN! **

DATES: 13, 14, 15 April 2012

FORMAT: 3-day, 4-stage Road race

VENUE: Nottingham Road, KZN

ONLINE ENTRIES: www.mrpriceheroes.com

MORE INFO: margie@peakevents.co.za / 082 7142471

A very big thank you to our sponsors. Without their very generous sponsorship this event would not be happening - and it is definitely happening!

For those who have done the Tour before, you will note a few changes, all positive we hope!

• For the first time, the Midlands Tour has moved to April

No more bitterly cold early morning starts, and no more having to train through winter – exactly 1 month before Sani2C. Roadies have been doing this event for years but in 2012, it’s PERFECTLY positioned in the season for mountain bikers looking to sharpen their multi-day race fitness. It is sure to provide race tuning for the legs or a wake-up call that some tuning is needed!

Not your typical road event, the hills in the beautiful Midlands area will quickly highlight just

how fit you really are. Roadies will be ready as ever to race, and mountain bikers can see if

their fitness is really up to mustard. Sounds like a challenge!

• 2012 sees the addition of the following categories - Vet Men 50+ now become Vet Men 50-59 and Vet Men 60+. We hope that this will be an incentive for the more mature gentlemen to participate.

• In addition, as we recognise that the youngsters are the future of SA racing, we now have categories for the Junior men and U16 boys. Details of who rides with whom can be found on the website under General Information//Categories.

As in the past, the aim of the Midlands Tour 2012 is to allow cyclists the opportunity to participate in a Tour, without the risk of being dropped for slower ride times. We know that there are many who would like to ride a Tour, but are wary because they may doubt their ability to keep up. No rider will be dropped for slow times - read more about this under Prizes//Socdoalger Award.

Kind regards

The Tour Team

Go to Event Page

Can anybody give comments on this tour? How was the experience? Is it worthwhile to fly up from Cape Town?

Panorama = Fun.

This is more hardcore racing for me, I think.

Thoroughly enjoyed it! I will be looking at it again $$$$ considering. :blush:

But I think well worth the flight up. Remember to bring the TT bike because that is most likely where this race will be won or lost. ;)

Panorama = Fun.

This is more hardcore racing for me, I think.

Thoroughly enjoyed it! I will be looking at it again $$$$ considering. :blush:

But I think well worth the flight up. Remember to bring the TT bike because that is most likely where this race will be won or lost. ;)

I don't have a TT bike! But I see the TT is 'only' 7kms.

• 2 months later...

I can no longer do the Panorama so am considering this as an alternative... anyone else decided to enter?

I'm also doing this as an alternative to Panorama. Looks like a good race.

I asked the organisers if they would consider banning TT equipment for the TT but have yet to receive a reply. I reckon 95% of riders would be relieved if they didn't have to bring a TT bike.

I don't have one so it isn't an option for me. I've got some clip on aero bars but for a 7km TT I'm not sure I will even bother.

Any idea how many entries there are?

I don't have one so it isn't an option for me. I've got some clip on aero bars but for a 7km TT I'm not sure I will even bother.

Any idea how many entries there are?

I also don't have one. Hard to justify when there are less than three opportunities to use it each year. I think the Midlands organisers would do well to take a leaf out of the Panorama tour and just specify ordinary bikes for the TT.

No idea how many entries. Hopefully lots. About four of us going from Cycle Nation/Bulk Pack Meat.

Hi Guys, Noted request to ban TT bikes.... but....We have discussed this and for the following reasons, we will allow them. 1. The sponsors want them. 2. This race is very different from the Panorama. It is an individual event and definitely favours the mountain goats. We have tried to level the playing fields, as much as we can in the Midlands by putting Hot Spots as early as possible, but not easy when everything goes UP. At least we have made the TT (almost) downhill.

Re entries... we are now up to +50. Good entries in 30+men and elite ladies. Knowing cyclists, expect entries to increase as closing date approaches, and FYI that is on Thursday 05 April. Good luck to all those entering vet/ladies SA Champs and look forward to seeing you in Nottingham Road.

• 4 weeks later...

I did. Was absolutely worthwhile. Great event in a beautiful part of the world. There were one or two niggles, which wouldn't prevent me from entering next year: the marshals were not the greatest, the results weren't published online (still aren't), and the prize givings suffered from interminable delays.

Edited by Jules

It was a nice event although tough and with a strong field of riders! A lack of chip timing was surprising given it is 2012 but otherwise it was well run and well organized.

I did. Was absolutely worthwhile. Great event in a beautiful part of the world. There were one or two niggles, which wouldn't prevent me from entering next year: the marshals were not the greatest, the results weren't published online (still aren't), and the prize givings suffered from shocking, interminable delays, as is the case with virtually every event where CSA is present.

are you Julius Cobbet?