Olympic Cycles “Journey 4 Sight ‘n Service”

Heckflosse

started in H group, honest pace to the foot of ou kaapse. A group of 10-15 formed on the climb and moved away at the front, i was in 2nd group of about 10 riders, thought process was just to take it easy-ish up ou kaapse, wind at the top was ridiculously hectic, difficult to even hold a straight line, touching of wheels brought down 2 riders behind me, a man and a lady, hope both you and your bikes are ok guys.

The crash and my teammate punctured at the top of ou kaapse meant we were down on numbers, still we flew down ou kaapse in pursuit until hectic wind again as we entered sun valley, the wind was funnelling through there.

our group was down to 6 now, me, my other teammate, 2 C seed riders who were working hard to help a H seed mate of theirs, plus 1 other guy. we stay together through kommetjie, scarborough and towards the reserve. HEADWIND of note! we spy the breakaway up the road and the 2 C seed guys try to bridge, too strong for the rest of us, they shelled their mate and the other guy, then us.

From the top of smits the 2 of us picked up a nice tailwind, and we shared the workload to the finish, overtaking quite a few guys and never getting caught by the rest of H group or anyone. We finished in 2h20, with a 31kph average, but although it was only a short race it felt very very tough on the legs. I am stukkend now!

Chatting to the guys at the end I found out that the C seeds never caught the H breakaway, flip with hindsight maybe it would have been best to all stick together on the road past the reserve, but to be fair they were clearly stronger than us and did the lion share of the work on the road leading up to the reserve.

Edited by touristvisa

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

started in H group, honest pace to the foot of ou kaapse. A group of 10-15 formed on the climb and moved away at the front, i was in 2nd group of about 10 riders, thought process was just to take it easy-ish up ou kaapse, wind at the top was ridiculously hectic, difficult to even hold a straight line, touching of wheels brought down 2 riders behind me, a man and a lady, hope both you and your bikes are ok guys.

The crash and my teammate punctured at the top of ou kaapse meant we were down on numbers, still we flew down ou kaapse in pursuit until hectic wind again as we entered sun valley, the wind was funnelling through there.

our group was down to 6 now, me, my other teammate, 2 C seed riders who were working hard to help a H seed mate of theirs, plus 1 other guy. we stay together through kommetjie, scarborough and towards the reserve. HEADWIND of note! we spy the breakaway up the road and the 2 C seed guys try to bridge, too strong for the rest of us, they shelled their mate and the other guy, then us.

From the top of smits the 2 of us picked up a nice tailwind, and we shared the workload to the finish, overtaking quite a few guys and never getting caught by the rest of H group or anyone. We finished in 2h20, with a 31kph average, but although it was only a short race it felt very very tough on the legs. I am stukkend now!

Chatting to the guys at the end I found out that the C seeds never caught the H breakaway, flip with hindsight maybe it would have been best to all stick together on the road past the reserve, but to be fair they were clearly stronger than us and did the lion share of the work on the road leading up to the reserve.

about 2 or 3 H riders caught the f group. So that's what happened to the H breakaway.

Guest Frail4Life

Saw you Guys PASS me in Scarbrough.

Saw you Guys PASS me in Scarbrough.

FRAIL did you try to tag onto the group at that point?? Was it you who dropped me that dead wheel??!? haha ;)

or were you wearing black kit today, and we passed you just outside simonstown? I said howzit as we passed? you weren't wearing your CWC kit today i'm sure

me and my mate in blue/white deVere team kit

Worst Ride I have ever HAD!

Get to the Start early, I think GREAT.

Down the Road, 5km from start, Get the URGE to Work Up front. Nobody SLIPS My wheel, I think OK Lets move IT.

3/4 way Up 2 guys join Me. As I crest Ou Kaapse the Bunch comes through. From There I was still Great.

Taking the First Turn right I FELT myself Switch OFF!

Having Bunch after Bunch Pass me. No Chance to Hold On more than 10 mins.

Enter Simonstown Serious Cramping and Spasms STARTED!

Had to Stop or Fall Over!

Going through Fishhoek was OKish.

Boyes Drive, not Even HALF Way, STOPPED Again for Cramps and Spasms could NOT Move!

First Time I had to Walk!

Then I see a MTB Biker stuck, SNAPPED his R Derailer and Hanger OFF. Busy trying to make a Single Speed. So I Help the Two guys. Then Olympic Cycles stop, can not do anything more than I already Did.

We all move Off.

After that Every Little Hill I Got Serious Muscle Pains All the way till the Finish!

No Result as I chose not to Cross the Mats.

What do u expect u just flew past unannounced there is know way anyone would've caught u or the energy spent just trying latching to your would just n

I started in H with you guys, we attacked at Ou Kaapse Weg, dropped a load of people, then I did a big gutter up Slankop toward Misty Cliff to get the pace going a bit, I finished with a time of 2h 14min and we caught the F group up just a bit before Smits, I was in the Brothers Sport kit with the Fondriest and deepsection wheels, not sure what happened to you guys..we worked together and thats how we kept the pace, but the legs felt strong and finished well

about 2 or 3 H riders caught the f group. So that's what happened to the H breakaway.

That was me, and there was about another 5 , I was in the Blue and White Brothers Sport kit and I dropped my jungle oat bar then :(

Edited by MTB_Roadie

Worst Ride I have ever HAD!

Get to the Start early, I think GREAT.

Down the Road, 5km from start, Get the URGE to Work Up front. Nobody SLIPS My wheel, I think OK Lets move IT.

3/4 way Up 2 guys join Me. As I crest Ou Kaapse the Bunch comes through. From There I was still Great.

Taking the First Turn right I FELT myself Switch OFF!

Having Bunch after Bunch Pass me. No Chance to Hold On more than 10 mins.

Enter Simonstown Serious Cramping and Spasms STARTED!

Had to Stop or Fall Over!

Going through Fishhoek was OKish.

Boyes Drive, not Even HALF Way, STOPPED Again for Cramps and Spasms could NOT Move!

First Time I had to Walk!

Then I see a MTB Biker stuck, SNAPPED his R Derailer and Hanger OFF. Busy trying to make a Single Speed. So I Help the Two guys. Then Olympic Cycles stop, can not do anything more than I already Did.

We all move Off.

After that Every Little Hill I Got Serious Muscle Pains All the way till the Finish!

No Result as I chose not to Cross the Mats.

What do u expect u just flew past unannounced there is know way anyone would've caught u or the energy spent just trying latching to your wheel would just not be worthwhile, with a climb like Ou kaaps just down the road waiting for us no one was going to risk it. The burst also explains why the rest of your race was so crap cause you obviously went to hard early & killed yourself up okw.

Started in my usual P group.

Any form of bunch dropped me before the bottom of Ou Kaaps. blush.gif One moerse slog to the top. Bomb down to Sun Valley, taking extra care not to get taken out by some serious gusts of cross-wind. A small bunch of us re-group heading off to Misty Cliffs. I took some time to smell the sea and take in the view - too much though, as the small bunch drops me going up to Cape Point. Maybe it was just me but that wind was seriously pumping head-on at that point. happy.gif

Start flying down Smitswinkel, only to hear one helluva noise from my front wheel together with a wobble at 60+km/h. Luckily I can stop safely, but can't find anything wrong. huh.gif Problem stays with me for the rest of the race as soon as my speed goes above 40 km/h (i.e. not too often). Suspect the hub needs some grease. unsure.gif

Bit of a moral dilemma in Simons Town, as a pedestrian is walking across on her green man and I wasn't sure whether to stop or not? Anyhow, I had too much momentum at that stage, so I swerved out and around her, i.e. I didn't stop at a pedestrian red light. ohmy.gif (Now I'm in more trouble than Zac.A!!).

Finished nice and strong by my standards, but that little steep start to Boyes really got my heart rate up to a new max for the past 12 months. Felt sorry for the two ladies who fell just in front of me there as they couldn't unclip and that little climb was too steep for them.

Great outing. Wind definitely died down towards the end, and it was really getting quite hot. Glad I dragged myself out of bed at 04h45 this morning. thumbup1.gif

Think I finished in about 3.30. blush.gif

Edited by flymango

FRAIL did you try to tag onto the group at that point?? Was it you who dropped me that dead wheel??!? haha ;)

or were you wearing black kit today, and we passed you just outside simonstown? I said howzit as we passed? you weren't wearing your CWC kit today i'm sure

me and my mate in blue/white deVere team kit

he had his cwc kit on today.

I started in H with you guys, we attacked at Ou Kaapse Weg, dropped a load of people, then I did a big gutter up Slankop toward Misty Cliff to get the pace going a bit, I finished with a time of 2h 14min and we caught the F group up just a bit before Smits, I was in the Borthers Sport kit with the Fondriest and deepsection wheels, not sure what happened to you guys as we were in the front from the beginning?

Good work today fella!! With hindsight I should have worked harder to bridge the gap to you on Ou Kaapse, but didnt want to go all out so early in the race. mistake!

Look forward to meeting you in the Stars bunch next week!!

Ross

Edited by touristvisa

Good work today fella!! With hindsight I should have worked harder to bridge the gap to you on Ou Kaapse, but didnt want to go all out so early in the race. mistake!

Look forward to meeting you in the Stars bunch next week!!

Ross

Hindsight is a terrible thing.

Guest Frail4Life

What do u expect u just flew past unannounced there is know way anyone would've caught u or the energy spent just trying latching to your would just n

That WAS the Plan!

I did not Push it TOO Hard, waiting to See if someone would Bridge the gap?

Next time I will SEND Out Invitations!