West Coast Bike lane celebs

GLuvsMtb

Tube patch = R2.

Car taking you out because you ride 3 abreast on a road with no shoulder > R2

You do the math

Don't know when last you actually used the bike lane, but it seems to be cleaner than the inside lane on the R27. Just do everyone a favour and try to get knocked down out of peak time traffic. Having ambulances and police cleaning up an accident disrupts everyone and not to mention the cost involved for the tax payer.

I've been riding in traffic for over ten years and I've yet to be knocked down. I'll ride where I please. Tell someone who cares you tit.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big shout out to David George and Kevin Evans for using the bike lane this morning. Maybe the Anderson Transport / Cycles Direct / Cape Town Market whannabees that were spotted next to the bike lane on a road with no shoulder 5 minutes earlier should re-think their inherent uncoolness and join the movement towards safer cycling.

Mayne you must make sure of your facts as all the cape town market riders were doimg the race this mornimng ... so none of us could be there. And WE, ctm always use the cycling lane.

I've been riding in traffic for over ten years and I've yet to be knocked down. I'll ride where I please. Tell someone who cares you tit.

Cyclists are quick of the mark to scream indignity at other road users, however it is the LAW that if there is a cycling lane a cyclist MUST use it. You WILL ride where the law tell you to, not where you want twit!

....and not to mention the missing drain covers and bergies at the industrial section......

Go check it out - those missing drain covers have been replaced. And the last couple of times I went through Paardeneiland the 4 bergies were nowhere to be seen. I did however see numerous security guards patrolling from there right into town. I also noticed how great the landscaping looked with almost everything flowereing. Now, that is MY tax money working and I LIKE it. Perhaps my glass is just half full, rather than half empty.

I agree that it's good for commuting or maybe riding in 1's and 2's.

But for a full team, such at ctm, to ride in the lane is unethical imo.

And Heman, where is it law that if there is a cycling lane a cyclist must use it?

Everybody is entitled to make use of the road.

rode the whole cycle lane this morning all the way from melkbos to cpt till somerset road. It's pretty darn clean, except for pee stains + stench under certain bridges <_<

CCC: how wide are your bars? That cycle lane is big enough for walkers, prams, dogs, cyclists of all self-aggrandizement levels and their egos. Then again, I do try to head out early. I guess like all traffic, even a cycle lane has a peak hour or two. It's afterall, NOT a velodrome,or IDT, or nearest national road...

Edited by Capricorn

And Heman, where is it law that if there is a cycling lane a cyclist must use it?

Everybody is entitled to make use of the road.

Even PPA knows about it :o

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/commuting/commuting/legislation/

What does the SA law say?

The National Traffic Act 93 of 1996 and the National Road Traffic Regulations 2000 promulgated on 17 March 2000 in Gov Gazette 20963 (as amended from time to time) includes the following bicycle-specific laws:

* You must be seated on your saddle

* You must ride in single file

* You may not deliberately swerve from side to side

* If you are riding on a public road where there is a bicycle lane, you must use that bicycle lane

Or alternatively in full legalise:

http://www.polity.org.za/polity/govdocs/regulations/1999/roadregs10.html

Riding on pedal cycles

311. (1) No person shall ride a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such pedal cycle.

(2) Persons riding pedal cycles on a public road shall ride in single file except in the course of overtaking another pedal cycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time.

(3) No person riding or seated on a pedal cycle on a public road shall take hold of any other vehicle in motion.

(4) No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall deliberately cause such pedal cycle to swerve from side to side.

(5) No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall carry thereon any person, animal or object which obstructs his or her view or which prevents him or her from exercising complete control over the movements of such pedal cycle.

(6) A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall do so with at least one hand on the handle-bars of such pedal cycle.

(7) Whenever a portion of a public road has been set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, no person shall ride a pedal cycle on any other portion of such road.

(8) A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road or a portion of a public road set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, shall do so in such manner that all the wheels of such pedal cycle are in contact with the surface of the road at all times.

Moorewood please send me your number so the Anderson wannabee can meet you face to face and get this matter out the way and we can move on if you not to scared behind your computer. Maybe if you open your eyes you would see it was Aurecon riders not CTM. The Anderson and Aurecon riders rode home after the race this morning.

Mayne you must make sure of your facts as all the cape town market riders were doimg the race this mornimng ... so none of us could be there. And WE, ctm always use the cycling lane.

Perhaps CTM should be more selective with who gets to wear their kit. There's nothing wrong with my eyesight.