35 y/o Beginner

Corrie21

From where did you suck that pearl of wisdom out?

What happens when you turn 30?

Do you lose the ability to ride a hardtail?

Yes, please answer

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In support of the below.

We are 6 people that try and ride together, the other 4 bought allot cheaper bikes, ended with lower quality group sets, heavier bikes,= > allot of swearing and sweat etc...

Ended with them quickly going and buying better bikes,

one of the statements the one lady made, we spend more money, bought much better quality day one, and they could see how we enjoyed our riding more.

I'm not again budgets, but careful of setting it to low, and ended not enjoying the fun.

G

Why does everyone insist on saying buy something cheaper now and when the bug bites, get something better. Why not just buy right the first time? I understand he has a budget, but what does that count for when people are telling him the components are not great, the bike will be heavy, you will want to upgrade, blah blah blah.

As someone else suggested buy the best bike you can afford now.

In support of the below.

We are 6 people that try and ride together, the other 4 bought allot cheaper bikes, ended with lower quality group sets, heavier bikes,= > allot of swearing and sweat etc...

Ended with them quickly going and buying better bikes,

one of the statements the one lady made, we spend more money, bought much better quality day one, and they could see how we enjoyed our riding more.

I'm not again budgets, but careful of setting it to low, and ended not enjoying the fun.

G

I've just witnessed it with 2 of my mates that recently bought bikes( 6 weeks ago), I warned them. Now he alreadly wants to upgrade this and that, and also looking at other bikes and accessories. There is a big jump in the bike when you go from a new 4k bike to a 7k bike, and will cost you far less in the long run(upgrades)

I do understand people have budgets, but as you said, better to have the right bike from the beginning and don't set it too low.

, it helps to enjoy it more. Nothing worse then slogging a heavy bike around.

How much lighter? I was paging through the Silverback catalogue this weekend, and took note of the quoted weights; more money doesn't save you that much unless you spend a fortune.

How much lighter? I was paging through the Silverback catalogue this weekend, and took note of the quoted weights; more money doesn't save you that much unless you spend a fortune.

It's not all about the weight, yes that comes into it. Its the components that are better as well. Please don't get me wrong, there is nothing really wrong with a 4K bike, and we all need to start somewhere, but it really grates my cheese when people say get something cheaper now and buy something better later when the bug has bitten, rather buy the best bike you can possibly afford now also rememering to include a decent pair of gloves and helmut, if its 4-5K then so be it.

Over 30 years old go for dual 26er. Also agree go for the best you can afford if the bug bites upgrade cost or selling and buying something better is going to hurt.

blink.png

I started out with a hardtail which cost 4k and after the bug bit (budget breaker variety) I moved on to a dual sus which also required upgrades as I undershot there as well.

It turns into a disease with the hub as your support structure and helpline!

Good luck!

YEAH!

An now I'm back on THAT more than the DS, with one less gear shifter, wide risers (with no bar-endsohmy.png ) and this morning it won the eenie meenie miney mo - AGAIN! w00t.gif

Strange that. biggrin.png

It's not all about the weight, yes that comes into it. Its the components that are better as well. Please don't get me wrong, there is nothing really wrong with a 4K bike, and we all need to start somewhere, but it really grates my cheese when people say get something cheaper now and buy something better later when the bug has bitten, rather buy the best bike you can possibly afford now also rememering to include a decent pair of gloves and helmut, if its 4-5K then so be it.

Sure, but you have to factor in buyer's remorse. What if there newbie doesn't get into it? You never get your money back on a bike, regardless of how good the condition of it is.

Hey

I'm a 35 y/o male whio wants to start MTB'ing. Which bike would be a good starting bike?

Your age has nothing to do with it.

Buy the most expensive one you can afford

Good advice if what you can afford starts at 6k

I'm still looking around, trying to learn.

Would a front suspension be sufficient for a starter? (I weigh 95KG)

For now I would like to go around 4K for the bike.

It all depends on what riding you are going to be more keen on doing. Keep looking, keep asking questions. 4k is a bit low for new.

If you want new look at TITAN, or Silverback. Usually affordable with pretty good spec. 6k+

Mongoose (sadly) appear to have shot themselves in the foot by downgrading their specs or putting OEM stuff on.

But why not start here?

Look for: A frame that is the right size. RockShox (or FOX) suspension, Shimano Deore or SLX components and brakes (disc pref)

ENJOY.

Edited by The Drongo

Was also having a look at that, Silverback Strela 1.0 = 8.6kg = R10k, Silverback Strela Concept = 8.4kg = R14k. R4k price difference, same components, only difference is the Concept is carbon.

I've never ridden a carbon bike so can't comment on ride quality etc but I'm not spending R4k for 200g. Thats just ridiculous.

Hi Corrie,

I also started MTB-ing after 30 (now 33). A hardtail is fine. If you have issues, make sure you get your core up to scratch.

Sure, but you have to factor in buyer's remorse. What if there newbie doesn't get into it? You never get your money back on a bike, regardless of how good the condition of it is.

I started on a R399 Makro Raleigh and did my 1st Argus on it as i was not sure if i would continue.

Flip side is a colleague of mine wanted to get fit and lose weight , his intention was to ride road, a bike shop convinced him he needed a top end DS 29'er. This was the beginning of last year and to date i doubt he has done 100km on it.

Find a good LBS (local bike shop) - visit as many as you can and choose which one you would like to deal with. Hubbers will also recommend.

There is that to factor in also, but then also consider the fact that when you upgrade you will end up spending more then you first intended, its a no win situation wacko.png Either way its gonna cost you, so my suggestion would be to get a decent 2nd hand bike then see from there if you want to get really into it.

I wish that someone had told me in the beginning that it is better to spend wisely in cycling, and to buy the better equipment right from the start, it would have saved me a lot of money. That's not to say the most expensive is always the best, but generally if you are paying more you tend to get a better end/ quality product.

I started on a R399 Makro Raleigh and did my 1st Argus on it as i was not sure if i would continue.

Flip side is a colleague of mine wanted to get fit and lose weight , his intention was to ride road, a bike shop convinced him he needed a top end DS 29'er. This was the beginning of last year and to date i doubt he has done 100km on it.

Had a customer who I tried to down-sell when he picked a carbon XTC as his first MTB. I saw him at a race two months later and he'd done less than 100 kays on it.

rather buy the best bike you can possibly afford now also rememering to include a decent pair of gloves and helmut, if its 4-5K then so be it.

Gloves? Really? Gloves and a helmet???

Nee boet, you should rather keep still and play dead.

When you start cycling and you are on a budget for gear.

1. Helmet

2. Cycling shorts

The end.