Bargain or Waste?

Corrie21

Hey Rob

Sorry about the misunderstanding then.

I do infact know close to zero about bikes and accesories and have hardly looked at bikes on google. The reason for that, being that "I don't know what I should be looking for" (hence my previous topic)

I hear you out when you say that anything cheap would be crap, but based on previous replies, I should look for something cheap and use that "till the bug bites"

Now here's a direct question to you, what would you buy?

C21

ok, so who's fault is it that you've not googled basic things like "best entry level mtb", or "what's a good mtb to buy as a beginner"? The interweb is your friend.

What would I buy?

Well, I wouldn't buy a dual suspension bike for anything under R10k, and that's stretching it. I'd save another R1,5k and buy a cheap, good hardtail like a Silverback. DO NOT buy bikes from sport shops or Makro. Go to a bike shop and go from there. Open your mouth and ask the salesman questions. That's how you learn, and you'll need to learn because knowing about bikes is part of riding them.

Then, I'd also use google to look up terms like "oxymoron" before you just assume a person would insult you. Ok bye

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, so who's fault is it that you've not googled basic things like "best entry level mtb", or "what's a good mtb to buy as a beginner"? The interweb is your friend.

What would I buy?

Well, I wouldn't buy a dual suspension bike for anything under R10k, and that's stretching it. I'd save another R1,5k and buy a cheap, good hardtail like a Silverback. DO NOT buy bikes from sport shops or Makro. Go to a bike shop and go from there. Open your mouth and ask the salesman questions. That's how you learn, and you'll need to learn because knowing about bikes is part of riding them.

Then, I'd also use google to look up terms like "oxymoron" before you just assume a person would insult you. Ok bye

Whakakaka!

You had to put the last sentence in didn't you!

Thanks

Appreciate the replies

Have a good one

cheers

Hi Corrie

I would suggest that you need to spend R4500-R6000 for a decent new entry level bike. This bike will get you through your first 2 years of riding with minimal fuss. Service twice a year (±R300) and for replacement parts as you wear stuff out or crash and damage things. Remember to budget R500-R700 for a reasonable helmet, R200-R300 for a saddle bag and a some tools and R1000 if you want to go with clip pedals and shoes.

Check out your local bike shop and the guys there will help you out. At this price point you will get a bike with entry level Shimano components (Alivio and maybe Deore) and hydraulic disc brakes. All of this is more than adequate to ride some races and really enjoy the sport. When your skill levels and enthusiasm improves you can look at selling the bike and upgrading to something special. From your original post is seems you are a novice and so are unlikely to start out with the skills required to "out ride" an entry level bike. I was the same and got two great years out of my Mongoose before I wanted a better bike to ride more hectic stuff. During that time I rode all the popular trails in Gauteng (Spruit, Van Gaalens, Groenkloof, Reitvlei, Breedtnek etc). My main expenses were replacing things I broke falling off and these will break no matter what bike you have. In fact if you are a novice it is better to have a entry level bike as it doesnt cost a fortune to fix things that break in accidents.

Some suggestions that are good bikes from reputable brands:

Merida Matts TFS 100 or TFS 300 (Linden Cycles has some specials for about R4800 for 2011 models)

Scott Aspect 40 or 30

Trek 4500 or higher

Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Mongoose Tyax

You can do searches for these bikes on the internet and get an idea of costs. At this time of year I would shop around and you might get a 2011 model on sale at a great price.

Enjoy the trails

first thing visit a bike shop and see what u can buy with ur budget, i would not buy anything with less than deore, deore lx or XT groupset

2nd, search the web to see what is on the market

3rd, search for a 2nd hand bike

4th, spend slightly more than u can afford right now, about 2k more (save)

5th, ride and enjoy ur bike

I started 7 years ago and it was the best decision I made. I will not stop riding as long as I can ride. I bought a GT for R5000 in 2006 and I am still riding it everyday, just about

I really hope I did not use oxymorons :eek:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hmmm. This is all good advice but if your budget is only R2500 then its no good when people say spend R5000 is it? Get a 2nd hand bike and when you want to upgrade then you can sell it and get your cash back. If you get an older bike you will get something decent for your budget.

first thing visit a bike shop and see what u can buy with ur budget, i would not buy anything with less than deore, deore lx or XT groupset

2nd, search the web to see what is on the market

3rd, search for a 2nd hand bike

4th, spend slightly more than u can afford right now, about 2k more (save)

5th, ride and enjoy ur bike

I started 7 years ago and it was the best decision I made. I will not stop riding as long as I can ride. I bought a GT for R5000 in 2006 and I am still riding it everyday, just about

I really hope I did not use oxymorons :eek:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow, did people not go to school in this place? You should know if you used a figure of speech or not.

Rob when last did u ride mate, u seem uptight...go for a nice long ride this afterrnoon u will destress

i would not buy anything with less than deore, deore lx or XT groupset

Disagree there, mate. There is NOTHING wrong with good old Alivio, or SRAM x3/x5. Those are built to last, and in fact are only just a tad heavier than their more expensive cousins. Yes, the springs might not last as long, but then they'll last a helluva lot longer than the XT of 5 years ago.

• 7 months later...