Bargain or Waste?

Corrie21

Thanks for the links,

I am concerned though, The Alpine is a medium, I'm 1.86m tall, would a medium be big enough?

C21

Yip, you will most likely want to try a large.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For R2,5k, you might get a few jumps out of it. It will probably be quite heavy. I don't recognise any of the components on that model though...(KOLO?) Depends on what you want to use it for. Racing, NO. Bombing aroung the neighbourhood, YES. Riding your local bike park, probably but it will have it's limitations.

Depending on your budget, I wouldn't call it a waste. I would rather invest in a second hand entry level hardtail with components I recognised.

So my answer would be ........ Depends ;)

Truth be told, you cannot manufacture a 'decent' (not even good, only acceptable) front shock for that price. The suspension will start sucking soon after you buy it, and thus the bike's a waste of time and money. A spring like the one on the back is also a pain to manufacture PROPERLY, thus you can bet your bottom dollar that this one is not a proper spring (not at that price) Like the good advice between the lines said, rather get a hardtail (front suspension only) for that price range, although it's still 'cheap'. Personally, I'd rather save up and buy new than risk secondhand. But then again, I bought myself a Makro special to commute to work and back (and so far it's holding up fine, but I won't push it) - but I'm saving my petrol money saved for a decent bike at the end of year clearances :)

I had a look and feel at boksburg Mr price sports - I don't have a very expensive bike myself but this looks like junk, very heavy, grips even look cheap, rear derailer looks like its going to break with the first shift - IMO its junk

Thanks Rob

Seeing that I'm a beginner with a ' don't know everything like you" knowledge on these things, I thought I would ask "Professionals" like you, but obviously was mistaken that there are people on TheHub who would help when I need help.

Apologies for me being so naive

Kind Regards

Oxymoron

In rob's defence, you made it look like he called you a moron, a oxymoron is contradiction.

But yes 1000X rather buy a secondhand bike. Schwinn Mesa would be a great start.

Huffy is huge in the USA, but I am sure this is no more than a sticker. Much like the SA's version of Raleigh have nothing in common with the UK Raleigh's. Have a look at these rather: http://www.axis-bike...es/mtb-hardtail

I stand to be corrected:

The agents/distributors for Huffy, Axis (aka Raleigh) and Cervelo are the same company. From what i know, the "Raleigh" is now going to be the UK version, not made by X under Licence & labelled.

Choice of bike would depend on what kind of riding you planning on doing. Remember that good light bikes cost money.

Lil Chinese saying "good ting no cheap, cheap ting no good" ;)

Never heard of that brand, but Mr Price sells nothing but junk in their cycling section. I can only assume the same for that bike. For R2 500 you will get a brand new, entry level hardtail from a bike shop that is streets ahead of that Huffy in terms of quality.

Thanks Rob

Seeing that I'm a beginner with a ' don't know everything like you" knowledge on these things, I thought I would ask "Professionals" like you, but obviously was mistaken that there are people on TheHub who would help when I need help.

Kind Regards

Oxymoron

Hi Corrie,

Apologies if you skipped the English class where you were taught what an oxymoron is. Just because the word has 'moron' in it, doesn't mean I was calling you that. An oxymoron is a figure of speech that combines contradictory terms. So you saying "It looks like a decent bike and for R2499, doesn't look like a bad buy." this is a gross contradiction, since if you've even done a basic google on bikes and prices you can see that it's a cheap, sub standard bike. Furthermore, since you seem to have not done any research, how what you know what a decent bike looks like?

It's the same as cars, boats, houses, shoes, clothes, food and schooling. You get what you pay for.

Rather buy a good second hand (read previously loved...) bike here on the Hub! :thumbup:

Much more bang for your buck!!

That has to be the oxymoron of the year! I can absolutely assure you that this bike will be a piece of junk.

WASTE

Thanks Rob

Kind Regards

Oxymoron

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn. I just wet myself. That has got to be the "I didn't get it" post for this year....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Beautiful language - English !

Hi Corrie,

Apologies if you skipped the English class where you were taught what an oxymoron is. Just because the word has 'moron' in it, doesn't mean I was calling you that. An oxymoron is a figure of speech that combines contradictory terms. So you saying "It looks like a decent bike and for R2499, doesn't look like a bad buy." this is a gross contradiction, since if you've even done a basic google on bikes and prices you can see that it's a cheap, sub standard bike. Furthermore, since you seem to have not done any research, how what you know what a decent bike looks like?

It's the same as cars, boats, houses, shoes, clothes, food and schooling. You get what you pay for.

:D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn dude. For once you were being nice. And you still got slated....

I am still laughing....damn that was funny !

Hi, rather save another 500 bucks and look for a decent second hand. You will be riding that bike for a day before you gonna be wishing for something else!. as they say, you get what you pay.

Hi Corrie,

Hey Rob

Sorry about the misunderstanding then.

I do infact know close to zero about bikes and accesories and have hardly looked at bikes on google. The reason for that, being that "I don't know what I should be looking for" (hence my previous topic)

I hear you out when you say that anything cheap would be crap, but based on previous replies, I should look for something cheap and use that "till the bug bites"

Now here's a direct question to you, what would you buy?

C21