New Tires

leet22

Looking to get some new rubber and thought i might try something new. Got a mouantain king in front and Nevagl at the back. What do to you guys use. Grip is most important :thumbup:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got mixxis crosmark at the back and schwalbe rocket ron on the front, am pleasantly surprised with the grip on the mixxis. But the tire is now almost worn out and will be swaping it with a shwalbe racing ralph.

combo's that I've heard of are

Scwalbe rocket ron (front)/ Racing ralph (back)

mixxis, monorail (front)/ crossmark (back)

conti, mountain king (front), race king (back)

Hi Leet

For Tokai, I reckon very few tyres can beat a Kenda Nevegal in 2.35 upfront and 2.10 at the back for grip. They are good all year round for me. They do well in the wet on snotty roots, they cope with loose sand and hardpack as well as the rocky bits. The tubeless versions have stronger side walls and last better in the rough.

The Schwalbe Racing Ralph's are incredible for grip. They're light too but not the most durable, and expensive. Maxxis are a good compromise. I rode the 24hours of Oak Valley with Maxxis Ardent up front and Crossmark rear and loved the combo - very grippy. Make sure pressure is correct or they can get a bit slippy.

I would use Racing Ralphs for jeep track type racing (Karoo2coast etc), and Maxxis combo for more aggressive terrain.

Havent used Nevegal or Conti's, so can't comment on those...

Edited by Tomik

Nevagal is very very very slow it was the only tyre that the german rolling resistance test machine scored a out of scale result. Try a kenda excavator instead.

I've got mixxis crosmark at the back and schwalbe rocket ron on the front, am pleasantly surprised with the grip on the mixxis. But the tire is now almost worn out and will be swaping it with a shwalbe racing ralph.

combo's that I've heard of are

Scwalbe rocket ron (front)/ Racing ralph (back)

mixxis, monorail (front)/ crossmark (back)

conti, mountain king (front), race king (back)

*Yawn*....

These "standard" combos are - like a Toyota Corolla - popular with sales reps, but not suited to flinging a bike around over drops and off-camber drifts.

LeeT, I run the same combo as DJR, but they are quite slow in rolling resistance terms.

I'd recommend you go for the following combo: High Roller 2.1 (back), Minion 2.35 (front). Minions are *amazing* in grip terms, and the high roller will give you solid grip without sacrificing rolling resistance at the back.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

MH has it in the bag. I'll differ somewhat, and say, if u after low rolling resistance, go with a 2.1 high roller front and rear, but slap it on a wide rim, and play with your pressures abit. You'll get good volume for grip, but the narrow carcass will get u thru the high rollers dodgy transition zone onto those side knobs in a hurry.

I'm not a fan of the high rollers tendency to step change slip over frmo center to side knobs, especially on the gravelly Tokai tracks.

*Yawn*....

These "standard" combos are - like a Toyota Corolla - popular with sales reps, but not suited to flinging a bike around over drops and off-camber drifts.

LeeT, I run the same combo as DJR, but they are quite slow in rolling resistance terms.

I'd recommend you go for the following combo: High Roller 2.1 (back), Minion 2.35 (front). Minions are *amazing* in grip terms, and the high roller will give you solid grip without sacrificing rolling resistance at the back.

think i will give them a try thx MH :thumbup:

2ply or 1 ply?

Edited by leet22

Im currently running a MInion 2.35 front and a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 back. The 2.35 was previously my front tyre and is halfway worn but is now really great for the back. This will get replaced with a high roller 2.35 once the Kenda is worn down a bit more.

I would say go dual ply wirebead they work excellent as tubeless tyres too (regarding the Maxxis Minion).

Now you still need to decide about compound. This can also be pretty important, a softer compound provides better traction but wears down quicker than a harder compound. For this reason many people go for a soft compound for the front tyre and a harder compound for the rear tyre.

Edited by MariusD

Im currently running a MInion 2.35 front and a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 back. The 2.35 was previously my front tyre and is halfway worn but is now really great for the back. This will get replaced with a high roller 2.35 once the Kenda is worn down a bit more.

I would say go dual ply wirebead they work excellent as tubeless tyres too (regarding the Maxxis Minion).

Now you still need to decide about compound. This can also be pretty important, a softer compound provides better traction but wears down quicker than a harder compound. For this reason many people go for a soft compound for the front tyre and a harder compound for the rear tyre.

Cool

Going for the harder compound :thumbup:

I like the Aspens, but you seem to be in a more agressive bracket. How about the Maxxis Ardent with the Exxo sidewall protection ?

Leet don't listen to the narrow tyre phillistines, listen to Martin H.

I ride Maxxis Highroller 26x2.5 front and Michelin Wild Gripper 26x2.3 rear.

When purchasing my next set of tyres, I am going to get continental diesel 26x2.5, front and rear.

Maybe the shops in Slaapstad are better but over here the LBS's can only offer you 2.2 width and then go on to tell you that you don't need wide tyres.... Wish bike shops here catered for trail riders. In the meantime I will order my wide tyres online.

Leet, listen to MH. All the other lemmings don't know how you (like to) ride and the "race" tyres will bore you or wash out on you faster than a one man motogp race.

I run minion front and high roller rear on my dh bike (both dual ply super tacky) and they are king.

On my xc.bike I run WTB Weirwolf front wolverine back and, again, they are king. For your style, I'd go the same as I have on the dh bike. You can get them from Action Cycles in town at a good price.

And dont mess around with hard compounds... In tokai, jonkers etc u want it soft.

Edited by cptmayhem

Maxxis Ardent 2.6 soft compound up front and Maxxis High Roller 2.5 at the back. SUPERB grip and fast too. R300 each at Action cycles in Cape Town. Had nevegals on before that but just not as much control. Although they do last long. Be careful of the Maxxis super tacky compound. Amazing grip but after about 20 hours of hard riding the side knobs were almost worn off on the front tire!

I'm also looking at a new front tyre, I was recommended to look at the Spez tyres, but which ones? I am currently running a 2.1 Excavator on the front, and am looking at something a bit wider and with more grip but don't want to sacrifice to much rolling resistance. I mostly do XC/ trail riding.

This will be for KZN riding