Correct Tire choice for SANI2C

KiNgL

Howdy

I am wondering what would a good tire choice for this years sani2c be?.

Slime+liners, tubeless ?

brand?

Advice from guys who have completed it before would be appreciated.

Thanks

Al

Tubeless - absolutely

Brand - irrelevant

real question is what are your goals and skills.

If you have some skill and want to go fast, get quite close to a semi slick.

Sani track is well groomed and not technical.

Vredestein killer bee is my choice. 2.5 up front and 2.1 back (only cause the 2.5 does not fit)

Maxis aspen is another good choice

Also the lack of responses is because you are probably the 30th person to ask the same question on this forum.

use the search fucntion and you should find a lot of info.

Why 2.1 on the back? Narrow tyres don't help - front or back.

Min 2.25 front and back (tubeless), but that's my personal opinion. An opinion which I'm sure is about to be shredded by 300 people...

Edited by tombeej

Tubeless - absolutely

Brand - irrelevant

real question is what are your goals and skills.

If you have some skill and want to go fast, get quite close to a semi slick.

Sani track is well groomed and not technical.

Vredestein killer bee is my choice. 2.5 up front and 2.1 back (only cause the 2.5 does not fit)

Maxis aspen is another good choice

If it is wet won't the killer bee's be rather slippery, they've almost no tread, also where can I get Aspens, I've tried a number of places.

If tyres are important to you, then decide the week before the event when you have a semi-accurate weather report. I did last years on Specialized fastrack 2bliss with no issues whatsoever.

I used Conti Race Kings and they got slick with mud on day 1 of the adventure. I won't say I could not control the bike, but I would have liked more grip on a lot of the singletrack parts.

Ideal would have been to have the option to put a Mountain King on the front just for day 1.

I did it on the MK/RK combo last year and thought they were great - except for the little bit of sticky mud at the start of day 2's single track

Tubeless is good provided you use decent tubeless tyres IMO - a conversion with lightweight race tyres is asking for trouble. best combo for reliability I have ever ridden is a Maxxis Xmark UST rear and Ignitor UST front - absolutley bomb proof. Tade off is they weigh a bit.

As fir the fat vs thin tyre debate - if you are a weight conscious racer go for the ligtest narrorwest rear tyre and a slightly fatter front - you need the extra traction the most when cornering in the front.

If on the other hand, you enjoy a bit of everything, go for fat everywhere. I currently have a 2.25 X Mark at the back its fatter than the 2.3 Ignitor in front. I can feel the extra traction on sketchy ascents and the voume is great when riding rock gardens and drops...

For a comfier ride, go wide!

Used Maxxis Monorail frt, Crossmark rear last year. Perfect.

Used MK frt RK rear the year before and fell and broke collar bone when front washed out on root. Still maintain MK's are lethal on wet roots.

Used the MK / MK the year before.

Bottom line is that if it is dry, you can use anything. Fast rolling (small knobblies) would be perfect.

If it rains (a lot) then you'd wish you had something with knobs on.

Will probably use Kenda Karmas this year as they roll fast and are good for mud should it rain, but it shouldn't rain that time of year. Much. If I don't, I'll use Monorail/Crossmark again.

Oh, and tubeless. Tubed technology is so last century. Main thing is no punctures. And should the unlikely happen and you get a puncture, you just stab a string of snot in the puncture, bomb, and continue.

• 4 weeks later...

I rode Spesh Renegades. they were a little snotty going into the Umkamaas...if you're not a racer then go for Fastraks.

I recommend tubeless, tubes are so 80's.

Even a racing ralph front and back or ron on the back for the weight conscious will be great

Slicks? That one rocky section at the end of Stage Two might be a bit tricky though. ;)

Slime tubes and liners will be fine - no need to do a tubeless conversion if you don't have to. Your only concern at Sani is mud, otherwise it's a pretty forgiving course with few thorns or rocky, technical sections.