Disappointed in bike shop.

Bassman

I wil not name the shop, but i want to get this of my chest. Got a new frame, bike shop build all my old componants on new frame.. All nice, i walk out very happy with my new bike.

GOT Home:

1) Find out my headset is loose! (fix that no prob, figure guy just slipped up)

2) Get on my new bike, my gears is not set, FD and RD! (getting angry)

3) Go for a ride and almost crash with my new bike because my crank arm came loose!!

How is this possible!!

I will service my own bike from now on!

Taken it up with LBS. They apologized. They assured me they will step it up. (I am ok with that)

Point is this is not the first time this has happened in our cycling community, it happened to a friend at another LBS. I just wonder what happens to the rookie who think his bike is in perfect order when chances are it is not.

Check your bike before getting on it after a return from LBS.

Edited by Bassman

Wow, that's pretty bad and the 'mistakes' they made could have caused serious injury. I hope you at least let them know about it so they can do something about it.

Same thing happened to me, fitted a new groupset @LBS, got home & luckily before i test rode the bike i discovered crank & pedals was still lose. I immediately picked up the phone & notified te owner, end of story.

Baseman I can gaurantee you some okes are going to grill you for not revealing the name, that's just the culture around here, some Hubbers are just on here to be real wankers & make your life difficult. So do yourself a favor & delete this thread or be prepared & be strong to be able to handle the flack.

I wil not name the shop, but i want to get this of my chest. Got a new frame, bike shop build all my old componants on new frame.. All nice, i walk out very happy with my new bike.

GOT Home:

1) Find out my headset is loose! (fix that no prob, figure guy just slipped up)

2) Get on my new bike, my gears is not set, FD and RD! (getting angry)

3) Go for a ride and almost crash with my new bike because my crank arm came loose!!

How is this possible!!

I will service my own bike from now on!

I think you owe it to the bike shop to give them a chance to rectify their mistakes (which we humans can and do make). Often a shop's true level of service can be seen in the way they handle their mistakes.

If they failed to respond or rectify, then bring the story here, BUT with details. Your name, their name, pictures, etc. That way there is open communication and no nonsense of people hiding behind pseudonyms. Otherwise it's conjecture and opinion, which is why so many of these threads end up going sideways into the land of popcorn, coffee, choobless and now, muffins.

Thank you.

Edited by johannrissik

If thats the case I hope you gonna take it back and make sure they sort it out! The reason we have such crap service in this country is because too many people complain to each other instead of taking it up with the people responsible. It costs almost the same to service a bike these days as it does a car, the least they can do is check the work is done properly before its released to the customer. Not acceptable.

If anyone cares i just had a new cassette, chain and new blades fitted at my LBS. They worked beautifully!!! You should try them if you are in the midrand area!!!

I think you owe it to the bike shop to give them a chance to rectify their mistakes (which we humans can and do make). Often a shop's true level of service can be seen in the way they handle their mistakes.

If they failed to respond or rectify, then bring the story here, BUT with details. Your name, their name, pictures, etc. That way there is open communication and no nonsense of people hiding behind pseudonyms. Otherwise it's conjecture and opinion, which is why so many of these threads end up going sideways into the land of popcorn, coffee, choobless and now, muffins.

Thank you.

I agree 100% here chap. Nice sensible response.

Sounds like the bike was assembled and not checked. Bad mistake.

Let the shop know, or this entire episode will be a waste of your time and ours. They need to know they got it wrong, otherwise they will never get better. Help them raise their own game and in so doing improve the quality for everyone else going there

If they failed to respond or rectify, then bring the story here, BUT with details. Your name, their name, pictures, etc. That way there is open communication and no nonsense of people hiding behind pseudonyms. Otherwise it's conjecture and opinion, which is why so many of these threads end up going sideways into the land of popcorn, coffee, choobless, twenty naainers, spelling Nazis and now, muffins.

Thank you.

There fixed it

Headset: bikeshop should have noticed.

Gears not set: bikeshop should do this before letting it roll out.

Crank: Not so sure they could have detected this. Cranks are installed at the factory and it is not generally not obvious that it is loose.

Headset: bikeshop should have noticed.

Gears not set: bikeshop should do this before letting it roll out.

Crank: Not so sure they could have detected this. Cranks are installed at the factory and it is not generally not obvious that it is loose.

You've not read the post correctly. The frame was supplied as were the components. It was not a new, complete bicycle.

The shop should have checked the crank, as they installed it. Seems like a monday build

If anyone cares i just had a new cassette, chain and new blades fitted at my LBS. They worked beautifully!!! You should try them if you are in the midrand area!!!

Anton ?