Stop the meaningless medals! Please donate the money at the end of the Race.

kandui

I like my Sabie wooden coaster and that bit of rock from Magoebaskloof Classic makes a handy paperweight and conversation piece......

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the races the medals have nothing to do with the entry cost. often ordered on a shoe string budget, which in turn gives a bad impression on the manufacturer due to the lack of quality and variety.

A medal is something you get at a championship event. For the first 3 riders.

+1

Medals are for winners not finishers.

I agree give the money to charity, its just a man made "I love myself trinket".

Edited by Kritzie

What's your interpretation of a winner Eldron? If I was 135kg's and lost it all took part in lets say the 100 miler and finished . Does this not make me a winner?

I also like receiving my medal, you don't have to agree, but it motivates me to do more, do better.

These days Prize money are for winners, not finishers, so medals are for everyone.

What's your interpretation of a winner Eldron? If I was 135kg's and lost it all took part in lets say the 100 miler and finished . Does this not make me a winner?

Nope - it makes you a finisher. Gold, silver, bronze is the olympic standard that I work to.

You should be really proud of yourself but does it really warrant a medal? Especially exactly the same medal that everybody else gets? Handing out medals to all and sundry kinda makes a mockery of medals in my opinion.

Medals are silly i agree, but whats worse are most of the goodie bags! At one event i got a can of soup for crying out loud i have also been given a mallet which was most unusual...fact is im sure the combined costs of the so called goodie bag and medalsmuliplied by the amount of entrants would be better utilised as a cash donation to the community in which the event takes place as opposed to handing them out to people of whom 95% dont give a toss.

Nope - it makes you a finisher. Gold, silver, bronze is the olympic standard that I work to.

You should be really proud of yourself but does it really warrant a medal? Especially exactly the same medal that everybody else gets? Handing out medals to all and sundry kinda makes a mockery of medals in my opinion.

There are different medals for Comrades based on your finishing time

There are different medals for Comrades based on your finishing time

The top 10 are also all gold + plus there is a cut off in terms of time. That does give the medal some credibility.

"Finishers medals" are the medals I have an issue with. Just seems silly to get the same medal whether you finished 4th in 2 hours or 30,000th in 6 hours....makes the medal worthless.

The top 10 are also all gold + plus there is a cut off in terms of time. That does give the medal some credibility.

Sub 7:30 is silver

Sub 9:00 is Bill Rowan (Silver outer ring with a bronze center)

Sub 11:00 is bronze

Sub 12:00 is a new medal called Vic Clapham they have had since 2000 when they extended the cut off to 12 hours (I believe half the field gets these)

Edited by chris_w_65

"Finishers medals" are the medals I have an issue with. Just seems silly to get the same medal whether you finished 4th in 2 hours or 30,000th in 6 hours....makes the medal worthless.

It's just a token that you have done the race, Don't get me wrong I give mine to my 6 year old as soon as I get home, he kind of expects it now but I'm saying that lots of people like to get one.

Remember the hub is full of podium finishers not so many 'just plain finishers' (tongue in cheek)

Edited by BLACKvoodoo