Stop the meaningless medals! Please donate the money at the end of the Race.

kandui

Always enjoy the magalies monster freebies...t-shirt + bokomo feeding station + cool medal....Pronutro for prizes...lekker

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will always cherish the Epic medal, but yeah a lot of event medals endup being binned, declined or given away.

I do like it when organisers give the idea of a finishers medal a different angle. Like the Energiser Night Series or Silva trail runs have their finishers medals as a bottle opener, for example.

It's just a token that you have done the race, Don't get me wrong I give mine to my 6 year old as soon as I get home, he kind of expects it now but I'm saying that lots of people like to get one.

Remember the hub is full of podium finishers not so many 'just plain finishers' (tongue in cheek)

To me a "token" is acceptable - like the dassie said - the Nissan bottle top key ring is useful and mine dangles from my room key as we speak. To me a medal is something that very few people should possess - it adds to it's value and should make you feel special when you look at it or touch it.

I have two shoe boxes full of them and half I can't even remember the race...

OP: Donate your own money. My wife did her first Argus this year. It took us over 6 hours to do on the tandem. It means more to her than her Oceans 1/2 marathon medal and reminds her of what can be done when you train hard and work together.

If they simply had a donations bin for all the unwanted goodie bag items we get at races, there would be enough soup cans, tuna sachets, shampoo and deoderant to feed and clean all the Bergies in Cape Town for a week.

I have a rail in my study with just about all my medals on. I recently had to reinforce it with extra brackets as it was bending due to the weight. I like my medals, even if I only look at them every now and again.

I agree. Medals should be for the winners. We should go back to cloth badges for the losers.

I still have my "onder-slyk-dyk" badge from voortrekkers...very collectible

Stop the meaningless medals! Please donate the money at the end of the Race.

Maybe this sort of comment is why we no longer get goodie bags with " meaningful items" and free Tee shirts for entering cycling races.

In the "old" days I remember getting free Tee shirts and or goodie bags that were really nice. My first 10 Argus races the goodie bag collection was a high light and yes I still enjoy and collect the "meaningless" medals to hang with all the others I have collected over 30 years of cycling. Road running races would appear to get way more for their entrance fee than cycling ............ now why is that when the cycling entrant numbers are much bigger than road runners ??? .. maybe because of the mentality that goes with the title of this thread - just my 50 cents worth

To me a "token" is acceptable - like the dassie said - the Nissan bottle top key ring is useful and mine dangles from my room key as we speak. To me a medal is something that very few people should possess - it adds to it's value and should make you feel special when you look at it or touch it.

I have two shoe boxes full of them and half I can't even remember the race...

If they were so meaningless why do you still keep boxes full of them, With all due respect, this kind of waters your opinion down a bit don't you think?

I'm sure when you started out you were very keen on the medal.

Edited by BLACKvoodoo

Opinions are like @ssholes, everybody has one...

The bottom line is that there a lots of different kinds of people that do these races, just be tolerant of others, and if you dont want something then respectfully decline.

I tossed most of mine, just kept the special ones like Comrades, a few ultra marathons and my PB marathon. Also kept a few PB cycling medals.

The look on the face of the volunteers at the finish, when you decline a medal, is priceless..

I like my medals, even if I only look at them every now and again.

ekke ok... :D dis ma 'n personal thing party wil dit he anner nie...

I have declined all but 1 medal in the last 3 years.

They have no value to me, and my loved one throws them away if I take them home anyway.

The Idea of a free photo per event excites me a lot more.

Or the key ring/bottle opener

Just incase an organiser is reading this.

Oh, and I'm a user, just saying