POWER METERS: Crank, Hub or Pedal-based?

'Dale

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does it really need 8 strain gauges per pedal? those are adding to the cost. Wh are those tools so expensive?

Wh are those tools so expensive?

I think it's because the level of engineering required is a lot more than people think. You see a lot of companies coming out with ideas for sub-$1000 power meters and then, as they start to go deeper into the problem, the expected prices start rising and the delivery date keeps on getting pushed out. Look at what's happened to the Garmin/Metrigear pedals as an example.

Edited by Minion

I think it's because the level of engineering required is a lot more than people think. You see a lot of companies coming out with ideas for sub-$1000 power meters and then, as they start to go deeper into the problem, the expected prices start rising and the delivery date keeps on getting pushed out. Look at what's happened to the Garmin/Metrigear pedals as and example.

You are 100% correct.

So whats the warranty period like? Since there more engineering and a higher level of QC it should be higher than forstandard pedals right?

Retail is around R20-22K. Die current exchange rate is not exactly helping.

Yeah, that's rough on the wallet... The import costs these days.

The look system retails for around $2000-00 so Mr LOOK is pricing it according to LOOK's suggestion.

It's just a darn expensive toy. If it was priced around 12-14K I'd be interested but R22K without a head unit is an investment bankers toy.

I'll stick to RPE.

• 7 months later...

Hmmm...

I could give up my visions of Quarg for this baby - Rotor's entry into the power meter market.

That crank looks shaxxy indeed.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/images/2012/08/first-look-at-new-rotor-power-meter-thumb.jpg

Hmmm...

I could give up my visions of Quarg for this baby - Rotor's entry into the power meter market.

That crank looks shaxxy indeed.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/images/2012/08/first-look-at-new-rotor-power-meter-thumb.jpg

Yip! And available from us on Special Order...

Yip! And available from us on Special Order...

I am WAY scared to ask.

But yes.....that are them dream cranks right there! :eek:

I am WAY scared to ask.

But yes.....that are them dream cranks right there! :eek:

It would match that Evo - stealth!!

Currently Ridding a set of Rotor 3D+ with a Power2max. Great value for money, Accurate, light and looks good.

Currently Ridding a set of Rotor 3D+ with a Power2max. Great value for money, Accurate, light and looks good.

Thinking about getting Power2max been hearing good things