Basso to Barloworld???

Cruxpearl

from Cyclingnews.com

Basso to return with Barloworld?

By Gregor Brown

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/features/basso_back/S-BASSO_18tn.jpg

Ivan Basso, who rose to the top of cycling with his win in the 2006 Giro d'Italia but then was banned from racing for his involvement in Operaci?n Puerto, has been linked with Barloworld. The 30 year-old rider from Varese is eligible to race after his suspension ends on October 24, 2008.

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Barloworld Team Manager Claudio Corti has been interested in Basso since before he signed with Discovery Channel at the end of 2006. There is a reportedly a verbal contract between the two, and Basso's return to racing could happen in the in the Japan Cup, October 26, 2008. The team would also have interest in Basso racing certain end-of-season races in South Africa, where the sponsor has its base.

Barloworld is also at an advantage since it is Professional Continental, which is a second tier team that is one level below ProTour. Basso is prohibited by Ethical Codes from signing for the top tier teams for four years.

Basso may also be linked with 'The Killer' for 2009 according the Italian sports newspaper. 2007 Giro d'Italia winner Danilo Di Luca is said to be interested in racing alongside the suspended rider. Di Luca, who is currently serving a three month suspension for involvement in the 'Oil for Drugs' scandal ? signed with Team LPR for 2008. He recently joined Basso for a charity event on December 8 in Varese where the two were able to talk at length.

The rider, known as 'Birillo' in the documents related Doctor Eufemiano Fuentes in Madrid, had denied any involvement in Operaci?n Puerto before finally confessing that he had banked his blood with intent to infuse it for performance enhancement. Fuentes' offices were searched in May 2006, revealing around 100 blood bags, some of which belonged to Basso.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"racing certain end-of-season races in South Africa, where the sponsor has its base".

maybe he will ride Paarl Boxing Day or The Burger

Guest colonel

I dont care what team he returns to I would like to see him ride again. He has served his ban from being caught so let him get back to what he is good at and that is racing bicycles. 97% of them dope its just wether they get caught or not so it shouldnt make a difference who it is I just hope he hides it better next time.

Ivan, De Luca and Moritzio(sp?) will be a formidable climbing force in any race.  

French riders don't dope thats why they haven't featured at all in the T'd F since the **** hit the fan in 1998.

Yeah, I also want to see Lance ride again, maybe this time it will be fair guns since everybody has been caught! Embarrassed

Huh? Sorry, what did you say? Lance was what? Ooooohhh clean, for a second I thought you said Lance was keen! lol...

Colonel get your facts right 97% is this not a little low 98.657885%Big%20smile.

Having the likes of Basso on our shores can only be good for our team.

Hmmmm' date=' this certainly makes Barloworld team a force, but is it a good thing being linked to ex cheats? [/quote']

Well we are going to land up with a skelm and rapist for president so what diffrence does it make.

Hmmmm' date=' this certainly makes Barloworld team a force, but is it a good thing being linked to ex cheats? [/quote']

my thought exactly

Guest colonel

I was giving them credit on the 97% the 3% are the mechanics.

Turboman: They all cheat so every team would be linked to "Cheats" at the end of the day. I think its great he is going to race again and he isnt lost to the real world like most riders who test positive turn their back on the sport as if they are the victim regardless as I said for whatever team he does race for. If it is BW I wonder if he will ride the SV league in Cape Town at the end of the year? I wanna see if he is actaully that good!!!LOL

Basso would probably leave Barloworld as soon as he can ride for the Pro Tour teams again, so imo he should take his pie and vie NOW?

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Basso and crew should not be allowed to partake in any kind of organized cycling again, not even to wash the Barloworld bikes?and the same goes for the rest of the mob who HAVE been convicted. The only way to stop (the rest) cheating is to dish out life time bans ? Zero Tolerance!

Imagine Basso doing the Argus and 94.7... Would be awesome... Race tempo will be seriously high cause everyone would want to beat one of the or maybe not so greats... Would be cool I reckon... First sub 2 hour 94.7 Dead

Swiss Van.

With your attitude we would not have a president or any politicians for that matter.Wink

Yeah well you would be like this to if you had to breathe all this Swiss Alpine air...

Just shows that the rest of the world is not to far behind Afrika when it comes to jookingthebookscheatingdopingcorruption...