The problem is NOT cyclist

Niner

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is not cyclists nor motorist, it's South African's with their "I don't give a ****" attitude and their lack of fear for the law and respect for others.

+1, and our friend Niner keeps upholding that attitude with all he has... such a pity

In the country where I live there has been a total breakdown of law on the roads over the years. Road users has no respect for any law or rules. A whole new generation of road users are out there that apply their own rules and laws. We are currently constructing dualized or double lane roads. They drive on any side of the road whenever they want to. We have installed new robots. Road users totally disregard them and drive over whenever they want to. If my driver stops he gets abused. The picture below is a typical Benin City gridlock (remember it is a Left Hand Drive Country). It was taken on the way to work this morning in front of a school. It degenrated into a scremaing mass of parents dropping children, other road users, bike riders and pedestrians. Everybody getting involved and only worried about themselves.

Keep on breaking the simple rules and your society will degenerate into the mess we have here. I am sure this is not the legacy you want to leave for your children and grandchildren. Start taking responsibility as cyclists motor car users and citizens caring about your social environment or you will end in total chaos like the people below.

post-24908-0-32461500-1328862041.jpg

Edited by eccentric1

+1, and our friend Niner keeps upholding that attitude with all he has... such a pity

Naai my broe.. Naai nuh?

I hope this thread is not representative of many riders.. I also hope that it shows what kind of reasoning some riders subscribe to.

There is a difference between survival and acceptance.

As wrong as the motorists are for the way in which they conduct themselves, they are on the roads for very different reasons from cyclists. They have to be there, it is not recreation. Recreation, if you look it up, means;

1 she cycles for recreation: pleasure, leisure, relaxation, fun,enjoyment, entertainment, amusement; play, sport; informal R and R;archaic disport. ANTONYMS work.

Motorists interact primarily with motorists, the level if lawlessness is at a point where anger is a mutual emotion. Bring in the cyclist (the bad one) and you have a 'soft target' for venting the stress built up by wrong doings of other motorists.

Motorists however have an understanding between like-minded motorists, one of courtesy and patience. Cyclists, through this same understanding, can gain more ground in acceptance on the road than the cyclist who feels to bash their way into their rightful place. Coercion.

Side up with the good guys and gain allies on the road. It will garner greater support for the PPA awareness campaign.

I heard, "just think it and 1000 around you think it too." Collective consciousness.

I'm still trying to understand how jumping a red light is safer for you.

Let me explain....but remember CARS DO NOT see a cyclist

You get to a light 2 lanes in each direction, 2 lanes crossing those.....left turn and right turn lanes....

Now if you want to go staight you can not be in the far left as someone busy talking on their cell is bound to decide at the last moment they want to turn left and clip.

So you are in the go straight lane...and if you start riding when the cars go, you are halfway over the intersection when someone decides to swap lanes..you get clipped.

So what I do at some intersections is get to the light and slowdown...stop if traffic is crossing my path, wait...now light is red for me, and going red for cars crossing my path...then I go slowly checking for traffic. There is a about a 4-6 second "gap" when all lights are red and then the arrows come on...so I used this clear the intersection and get to a safe place on the other side. But people view this as NOT STOPPING.

to say again though - just because someone else is doing something wrong, it does not mean that you have to do it as well, or should not point out that what they are doing is wrong. Just like I do when I see someone driving in the yellow lane on the M5 / M3 / M whatever, parking in disabled bays and non indication, to name a few.

If I see you riding through a red light, I will take you to task. For the simple reason that I am a cyclist as well, and your actions have a direct effect on how I, as a cyclist, am seen by motorists. I have to look after myself, after all...

I did not say it is ok to do so....I am saying that the Motorist in SA are a lot of lawless, respectless idiots....and then we moan and say we want to clean up our image?

Let me explain....but remember CARS DO NOT see a cyclist

You get to a light 2 lanes in each direction, 2 lanes crossing those.....left turn and right turn lanes....

Now if you want to go staight you can not be in the far left as someone busy talking on their cell is bound to decide at the last moment they want to turn left and clip.

So you are in the go straight lane...and if you start riding when the cars go, you are halfway over the intersection when someone decides to swap lanes..you get clipped.

So what I do at some intersections is get to the light and slowdown...stop if traffic is crossing my path, wait...now light is red for me, and going red for cars crossing my path...then I go slowly checking for traffic. There is a about a 4-6 second "gap" when all lights are red and then the arrows come on...so I used this clear the intersection and get to a safe place on the other side. But people view this as NOT STOPPING.

Not that I have your safety as my concern, but your depiction brings in the next scenario of said lawless Taxi (see, taxi again!) using that those 4 seconds between orange, red and green to drive on through. Clip. No, BASH!

I'd be careful what I wrote on the forum, some might try your suggested method of staying alive. :wacko:

Edited by Pain or Shine

As wrong as the motorists are for the way in which they conduct themselves, they are on the roads for very different reasons from cyclists. They have to be there, it is not recreation. Recreation, if you look it up, means;

Sorry to say it and I respect the work you do at Tokai, but with this attitude you are once again demonstrating that you are part of the problem. To say cycling is just a recreational pursuit is frankly laughable.

I did not say it is ok to do so....I am saying that the Motorist in SA are a lot of lawless, respectless idiots....and then we moan and say we want to clean up our image?

We moan because our image is tarnished! Both on the road and on the dirt.. very different reasons, but reasons that make acceptance difficult none-the-less.

Actually I was saying motoring is NOT recreation.. the dictionary said cycling is recreation..

here, look..

post-13110-0-92945400-1328864865.png

post-13110-0-84005700-1328864989.png

Edited by Pain or Shine