[Event] MTN National XCM #5 Mabalingwe Driven By NISSAN

Tim_Fair

thanks. it is unfortunate that 40 guys took wrong turns at the WP.

The sharp end of the A bunch in the half marathon also went awry on the second half of the 43km ride, due to missed route markers. This included the current womens series leader. We had to back track to find the single track again, and re-overtake those that got the route right. Fair / unfair? thats mtb, Evans and George lost the Sani2C because of a day3 wrong turn.

I am curious to see what a 'fair' resolution will be? At the end of the day there will be those that complain if rules are massaged, to be fair?

Edited by Li Mu Bai

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

just to quickly clear up a few things from advendurance and spectrum sport side.

1) The riders that took a wrong turn and ended up doing 95km did not do so due to their own wrong doing. At the last waterpoint for the 75km the guys at th waterpoint off loaded their bottles and stuff infront of the board that shows the 75km guys to carry on straight. So approx top 40 guys never saw that board and took the turn onto the 40km rout doing an additional 20km. The problem was picked and the officials on the rout rushed to the waterpoint to correct the problem. These riders cant be penalised for that.

2) Between the SASeeding staff and spectrum sport they know who the riders were that got real value for their money with an added 20km. The are now looking at a way to try and resolve the problem that will be fair to all.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and also for the long wait for the results. The staff are doing their best rectify it asap and release the result.

Hope you all understand.

This is now double standards, which is totally unacceptable!!

Last year at the Sani2C, Team 360Life missed a turn (due to outside interference - truck that blocked the view of the sign) and they lost the race!

It is not the first time this has happened at a MTN/Nissan event! If you have a split in route, you as the organizers must ensure that it is VERY clearly visible! Not just one sign. What about having warning signs 200m and 100m prior to the split. It is very easy to miss one sign, but if your miss 3 or more, you as the rider are to blame.

Apparently the first 6 guys in the marathon did take a wrong turn-off and ended on 95km - but they still manage to finish in the first 6 places! That’s impressive – they have averaged 25km/h!

That is impressive!!!

That is impressive!!!

No. First 6 guys still finished in top 6 as app 1st 40 riders took wrong turn, not just the 1st 6. I was fortunate to be one of first 3 or so riders to be marshalled to the correct road. Must say, if I saw that marker showing straight over the main road into the bushes (no road cut there), without a marshall I would still follow the 40km route like they did.

Edit: yes, impressive average, about the same as the Ultra guys.

Edited by KnobbyMech

This is now double standards, which is totally unacceptable!!

Last year at the Sani2C, Team 360Life missed a turn (due to outside interference - truck that blocked the view of the sign) and they lost the race!

It is not the first time this has happened at a MTN/Nissan event! If you have a split in route, you as the organizers must ensure that it is VERY clearly visible! Not just one sign. What about having warning signs 200m and 100m prior to the split. It is very easy to miss one sign, but if your miss 3 or more, you as the rider are to blame.

What he said

Hi All,

just to quickly clear up a few things from advendurance and spectrum sport side.

1) The riders that took a wrong turn and ended up doing 95km did not do so due to their own wrong doing. At the last waterpoint for the 75km the guys at th waterpoint off loaded their bottles and stuff infront of the board that shows the 75km guys to carry on straight. So approx top 40 guys never saw that board and took the turn onto the 40km rout doing an additional 20km. The problem was picked and the officials on the rout rushed to the waterpoint to correct the problem. These riders cant be penalised for that.

2) Between the SASeeding staff and spectrum sport they know who the riders were that got real value for their money with an added 20km. The are now looking at a way to try and resolve the problem that will be fair to all.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and also for the long wait for the results. The staff are doing their best rectify it asap and release the result.

Hope you all understand.

Thanks for the update.

Cant you release the ultra & half results while you resolve the 75??

Cheers.

Hi All,

Hope you all understand.

I did the Country Challenge a while ago, and leading up to the split there were huge signs warning about that. After the split on the longer route there were more huge signs stating that this is the longer route.

Signs on both sides of the track will also work wonders!

Have the water point not AT the split, but 100/200m ahead of it!

Last year there were also groups taking accidental "shortcuts"... I would think by now the organisers would have learned for this venue? Also there were no Marshalls after the Oasis waterpoint stopping people from cutting out approx 9km of the track and going straight.

Most of the course was well marked, but I think they ran out of signage towards the end, and could have done with a bit more marshalls along the way.

Why don't they put up the Ultra and Half Marathone in the mean time while they figure out the Marathone Results?

+ 1

@swartpiet - is their any reason why the other results cannot be loaded???

no results yet..

Results are up,

i did not come last and there were plenty DNF

Results are up,

i did not come last and there were plenty DNF

Where did you get the results??? it's not on Spectrumsport...I JUST checked!!