Ladies' Dual Suspension: 26 or 29?

flymango

Why don't you chat to eyecandy? She puts a lot of us to shame on her Niner ds machine and white pant.... And she looks good doing it?

Interesting criteria there so she's clearly a hammer on the bike. But what about the average rider? @Capricorn doesn't seem to have any doubts. Question then is are there any lady-specific DS 29ers out there, or is lady-specific unnecessary.

My wife and I are currently looking at upgrading her current Specialized Rockhopper 26" hardtail to a dual suspension bike. Dual suspension is a given requirement. So now we're confronted with the dilemma that's been debated to death here on The Hub - 26 or 29? Except I haven't seen too much of the debate for ladies. Any (lady) views out there based on 29er experience, ladies' specific 26 vs men's 29, the wait til 2013 for ladies' specific 29ers, etc?

Thanks.

BUMP

I tried my Epic partner's Giant 29er this weekend, and she tried my Scott 26er. Both Dual sus. Mine Carbon, hers Alu. Mine 10.4kg, her's 13(ish)kg. Both smalls. We are both the same height and weight as your wife.

The 26er won that test. I didn't try the 29er downhill, however, but the big deal is the climbing. She's light, the weight of the bike makes a huge difference at 55kg! The frame sizes are the issue at this size. A dual sus 29er in a small, is virtually equivalent to a medium 26er.

Get her to try out a couple of 29ers in small. and then a couple of 26ers. It's the best way to go about choosing. Dont let the bike shop bully her into buying a 29er either. She must feel comfortable on the bike first and foremost.

I tried my Epic partner's Giant 29er this weekend, and she tried my Scott 26er. Both Dual sus. Mine Carbon, hers Alu. Mine 10.4kg, her's 13(ish)kg. Both smalls. We are both the same height and weight as your wife.

The 26er won that test. I didn't try the 29er downhill, however, but the big deal is the climbing. She's light, the weight of the bike makes a huge difference at 55kg! The frame sizes are the issue at this size. A dual sus 29er in a small, is virtually equivalent to a medium 26er.

Get her to try out a couple of 29ers in small. and then a couple of 26ers. It's the best way to go about choosing. Dont let the bike shop bully her into buying a 29er either. She must feel comfortable on the bike first and foremost.

Some good advice there. Thanks.

I am slightly shorter than your wife and recently upgraded my ladies 26er and got a mans frame 26er.

29er debate : I am not going to be winning any races against Speedy any time so went with what was comfortable and what I felt was going to be easier to handle in the technical sections. The 29er's just felt too big to me.

Ladies have shorter bodies : I just have to put a shorter stem on the bike to compensate, the rest size wise is 100%

Ladies specific bike : Downpoint - I tend to find they are heavier than the equivalent mens bikes. This does make a difference on the climbing and technical sections. My new bike is round 4kgs lighter than the old one and has definately made a difference in my riding. Uppoint - the lower cross bar is an advantage. I have fallen on my mans frame cross bar - and trust me when I say it hurts. (solution - don't fall on it)

The best would be for her to test a few bikes and see what makes her feel like all she wants to do is go ride her bike!! :w00t: Most importantly like a friend said when I was shopping.... the bike needs to talk to you

Good luck shopping :drool:

a summary of my PM to Flymango:

if she is a racer, 29er. no doubt. I also agree with statements about "what works is normally what's comfortable", but that's one for your wife to decide.

if she is a non-competitive rider: anything goes, but the 26er would probably best. Above statement about comfort still applies as a final criteria.

As for those who havent tried a 29er downhill, let me tell u now, those things will out-roll most 26ers even if the rider is cranking. It's damn hard work catching up to those suckers.

It would be interesting to see what bikes the top 10 ladies in marathons and short course cross country ride. I think in Attakwas only one was on a 29er Hardtail (MTBmom) The rest of us were on lightweight 26ers. If I'm right, that doesn't necessarily hold true to you're "if she is a racer, 29er" statement. Woman's MTB racing is very different from that of mens - we aren't 2m tall riding large frames. 26er's suit our size!

It would be interesting to see what bikes the top 10 ladies in marathons and short course cross country ride. I think in Attakwas only one was on a 29er Hardtail (MTBmom) The rest of us were on lightweight 26ers. If I'm right, that doesn't necessarily hold true to you're "if she is a racer, 29er" statement. Woman's MTB racing is very different from that of mens - we aren't 2m tall riding large frames. 26er's suit our size!

I'll give u some info here... Capricorn isn't 2m tall riding a large frame either :)

Edited by cptmayhem

I'll check out Giba on the weekend, they are doing XC races

speaking from the experiences of a friend that did very very well going from a 26er to a 29er, and my own personal experiences riding with my 26er against 29ers in XCO races. So i didnt suck that one outta my thumb, but I do understand where u coming from.

I'll say it another way: personal choices aside, when it comes to the technical aspects, if XCM is the nail, a 29er is the hammer u need.

Flymango: get a 36er. and if u blinked, check the vid: u will get yourself one if u could make u climb like a mountaingoat.

• 1 month later...

Help!! So now my wife believes 27.5's the way to go having watched THE BIKE (say nothing about the athlete!!) win the Men's XC World Champs. :wacko:

LOL.. i was waiting for this! Just surprised it came from your wife!

and I'll bet, teh second hand market for 29ers is going to take a huge pounding due to the flood of ppl wanting to buy their way into achievement.. pfft..

but, your wife might be right. 650b is gonna hit 2013 harder and bigger than 29ers did back when they launched. Why, i dont know, but some big name manufacturers have tooled up in a massive way. Both Rockshox and Fox will have a full lineup for 650b compatible forks available come september of this year (the annual launch time for new stuff), so I reckon your wife might as well climb on board. TBH, i was on the verge of buying into 29ers, but been holding off after I read about the massive arrival of 650b.

Luckily for me she's is no hurry to buy. She's happy to watch this unfold. Wonder how it will play out technically and for retailers? I guess I'm more keen for her to get her susser before we tackle our first Sani together in May.

LOL.. i was waiting for this! Just surprised it came from your wife!

and I'll bet, teh second hand market for 29ers is going to take a huge pounding due to the flood of ppl wanting to buy their way into achievement.. pfft..

but, your wife might be right. 650b is gonna hit 2013 harder and bigger than 29ers did back when they launched. Why, i dont know, but some big name manufacturers have tooled up in a massive way. Both Rockshox and Fox will have a full lineup for 650b compatible forks available come september of this year (the annual launch time for new stuff), so I reckon your wife might as well climb on board. TBH, i was on the verge of buying into 29ers, but been holding off after I read about the massive arrival of 650b.

Time to check compatibility wif my bike.... Hmmm. Nah. The rear doesn't have enough clearance. Oh well. 6er it shall remain. For now.

As for the next one, who knows what will be right for me come upgrade time.