Rugby...

'Dale

Well he actually surprised me a bit today by dropping De Jong from the match day 23 completely, and sticking with the rest of the team. Bringing M. Steyn back onto the bench tells me he has zero confidence in Jantjies though. But why not start Jesse at the back then and let Goosen cover 10 from the bench? At least Goosen is young and can provide options for years to come, whereas we all know M. Steyn's time has come and gone. 

I seriously don't know how he can justify Louw ahead of Kriel. Captain Teletubbie also needs to go as soon as possible, make way for Marx please! No one would dare pinching his nuts or kick him in the face!

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True true

And he was CAPTAIN, one helluva responsibility

I must still get hold of his book

One of the best rugby bios, I have ever read. Well worth the money to purchase it! Fascinating man.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

As I have said a few times, I enjoy watching "the breakdown" (every Wednesday 18:00 - 19:00), as they analyze the SANZAR competitions (naturally in their biased opinions).

But... some valid points on how they see each team (Super Rugby, Rugby Champs, Inbound Tour and more).

This week, John Kerwin hit the nail on the head. The Aussies are rebuilding, the Boks are rebuilding, but the AB's aren't rebuilding but rather continuing to move forward.

Many of the previous AB coaches weren't rotating their players like Steve Hansen is doing now. So when many of the top players retire, their replacements have at least 30 tests under their belt.

The Aussies have also brought back "experienced" players following the whitewash by the Poms. We aren't the only ones that are struggling (fans and the team).

Interesting... They have introduced a new experimental law change.

At a tackle/breakdown, players on their feet are not allowed to use their hands. No more stealing the ball with a player bent over, with risk to possible head injuries when others try clean them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by geraldm24

At a tackle/breakdown, players on their feet are not allowed to use their hands. No more stealing the ball with a player bent over, with risk to possible head injuries when others try clean them out.

Really? Where are they implementing this? If so, rugby just becomes more like rugby league. They should stop fiddling with the rules, the game is already over complicated

Really? Where are they implementing this? If so, rugby just becomes more like rugby league. They should stop fiddling with the rules, the game is already over complicated

In their domestic competition - the equivalent of the Currie Cup.

Here is the link to all the "Law trials and minor law amendments set for 2016"

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/129899

Some notes from the link:

Law 15Tackle

1. The tackler must get up before playing the ball and then may only play the ball from behind his side of the breakdown mid-point. (amend current 15.4 ©. The breakdown mid-point is not the ball but the point where players are in contact.  
2. A tackled player must immediately pass the ball or release it. That player must also get up or move away from it at once (existing 15.5 (b)).
3. If tackler and ball carrier only then there is no breakdown or offside line – this is open play and subsequent attacking players maybe be tackled by retreating players.  
4. Recognise assist tackler in law 

Players in opposition to the ball carrier who remain on their feet who bring the ball carrier to ground so that the player is tackled must clearly release the ball and the ball carrier immediately after the tackled player is put on the ground. Those players may then play the ball providing they are on their feet and do so from behind the breakdown mid-point (Existing 15.6 ©)

Law 16 – Breakdown (called the breakdown but also referred to as a ruck)

1. A breakdown commences when at least one player from the attacking team is on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground (tackled player, tackler plus one more). At this point the offside line is created (new definition).
2. Only players acting as a half-back can play the ball with their hands (lift the ball out of the breakdown).  They must be on their feet and on-side. They must subsequently run, pass or kick (new 16.2 – Joining a breakdown). A half-back is any one player who is not part of the breakdown and behind the hindmost foot who is in a position to play the ball emerging from the breakdown. The hindmost foot will be the offside line for half-back players.
3. Offside line at a ruck is the back foot plus one metre. If the back foot of the hindmost player is on or behind the goal line, the offside line for the defending team is the goal line. To be policed by assistant referees (new 16.5 (a) – offside at the breakdown).
4. All arriving players must come from an onside position (see 3 above) and can enter their side of the breakdown mid-point (no gate). Players must remain on their feet (new 16.5 ©).
5. No players at breakdown can have hands on the ground beyond the ball, hold onto or lean on or have knees on players on the ground. Players off their feet sealing the ball will be penalised. Arriving players encouraged to drive over or past the ball (existing 16.4).
6. Players must not handle the ball in a breakdown once the breakdown is formed. Once the breakdown contest is formed the player must release the ball (new 16.4 – other breakdown offences).
7. The breakdown ends when the ball emerges or the ball is picked up (new 16.6 – successful end to a breakdown).

Law 17Maul

The group debated trialling a collapsed maul. The consensus was that this would be perceived as dangerous and should not be trialled.
The group agreed to issue a law application (from 1 January) guideline to enforce the following:
The ball can be moved backwards hand-to-hand once the maul has formed. A player is not allowed to move or slide to the back of the maul when he is in possession of the ball. Sanction: Penalty kick.

By virtue of volunteering for this trial, and assuming it is passed, the AB's are one step ahead of everyone else.

SA Varsity rugby did trials with 2 referees - doesn't exactly help the player with skills.

Oh wow

THat's interesting 

Hoe nou kry ek die bal?

Oh wow

THat's interesting

Hoe nou kry ek die bal?

Skop dit met jou voet.

Now we know why the Kiwi's call it "football"

On the show, they showed examples of how it is applied by players. They literally kicked the ball.

There were less bodies on the ground, and reminded me on of primary school rugby.

Edited by geraldm24

Skop dit met jou voet.

Now we know why the Kiwi's call it "football"

On the show, they showed examples of how it is applied by players. They literally kicked the ball.

There were less bodies on the ground, and reminded me on of primary school rugby.

Bizarre....

"breakdown mid point" -  What the hell? So you can only play the ball if it is in your half of the pile of bodies. 

They are probably trying to speed the game up, but to me it seems like it is just getting more and more complicated. And subject to more frustration as every ref will blow it differently

"breakdown mid point" - What the hell? So you can only play the ball if it is in your half of the pile of bodies.

They are probably trying to speed the game up, but to me it seems like it is just getting more and more complicated. And subject to more frustration as every ref will blow it differently

Ek verstaan okkie soe lekkaa nie ????????

Last weekend was the first time it was applied.

The panel on the Breakdown would be giving feedback as the week's tick by. They seem happy with the rule, but are just as confused as to what will happen with the ball should there be a kick.

While o the subject of that show:

John Kirwin - never really liked him, as he thought so much of himself and very little of the Boks. Nothing much has changed.

Jeff Wilson, the host of the show, thinks the Boks are the biggest threat to the AB d ominance - based on our match against them in the 1/2 of last year's RWC.

I hope he is right and JK can eat some humble pie more often.