Bus Driver in UK rams cyclist in road rage incident!

ramsew

In this case I agree with you, to a point. Had the cyclist died that would be a different story - irrespective of what happened to the bus driver, the cyclist's wife would have had to endure endless heartache for an entirely avoidable situation. Bottom line, in an fight between an 8kg piece of carbon and tons of metal, the cyclist ALWAYS loses. Cyclists need to keep this in mind, one idiot having a bad day could end your life.

I keep it in mind every day. Not just for me, but for my friends and family that cycle. That's why I make sure I let the idiots know I'm not going to take it.

Say what you like but I make sure I stand up for myself when challenged and I won't die with an apologetic smile on my face.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't die with an apologetic smile on my face.

Me either. I was thinking more like at the age of 83, whilst have sex with 23 year-old redhead twins.

I keep it in mind every day. Not just for me, but for my friends and family that cycle. That's why I make sure I let the idiots know I'm not going to take it.

Say what you like but I make sure I stand up for myself when challenged and I won't die with an apologetic smile on my face.

:thumbup:

Me either. I was thinking more like at the age of 83, whilst have sex with 23 year-old redhead twins.

Like riding a bicycle tandem?

Like riding a bicycle tandem?

Riding a redhead requires more skill than riding a tandem...

As long as you're not 3 abreast - ride in the gutter and big smiles for all the cars.

Dude - there's two of them. It's 4 a breast.

Dude - there's two of them. It's 4 a breast.

Who knows. When I get to 83, I might have man boobs. 6 a breast?

Ah HEM.

now, was it not possible the guy wanted to turn right? Or was he stuffing around in front of the bus??

If I ever do get to cycle round the world, I'll only be able to go west(ish) from here until I get to France...mmmm, but that supposesone skips Africa, mostly.

How do the rest of you handle right turns at busy intersections (no redheads or manboobs please)??

Ah HEM.

now, was it not possible the guy wanted to turn right? Or was he stuffing around in front of the bus??

If I ever do get to cycle round the world, I'll only be able to go west(ish) from here until I get to France...mmmm, but that supposesone skips Africa, mostly.

How do the rest of you handle right turns at busy intersections (no redheads or manboobs please)??

If I make eye contact and point my right hand to where I want to be drivers tend to happily wave me through. Expect on Monday mornings...

My personal rule is that eye contact trumps everything - as long as drivers see you as the big bad cycling collective they feel they can kill you without guilt. As soon as you make it personal with eye contact they tend treat you like a fellow human being.

Shoot the robot and dive in front of oncoming traffic. It's hard to stop a fixie and be considerate. :whistling:

A few weeks ago I was coming home from my early morning ride from Malanshoogte to Parklands. I turned into Gie road at about 7:30am. Soon there was a Golden Arrow bus behind me who started hooting at me to get past.Gie road doesn't have a shoulder or cycle lane and after the 2nd attempt by the bus to try and overtake me into oncoming traffic on a solid line I moved to about 1.5m from the pavement to ensure that he stays behind me until it was safe to pass. At the next bus stop I pulled over and asked the driver what the hell he was trying to do, and he told me to ride my road bike on the pavement (into pedestrians, over drive ways etc) as he has a schedule to keep to. I told him that the string of cars that has to wait behind him every time he decides to make an illegal stop in the road (like a taxi) to drop / pick up passengers also have schedules, but they have to wait for a vehicle that is moving slower than theirs. He simply has to do the same when there is a slower vehicle infront of him.. I reported his aggresive behaviour to GA, but have not heard anything about this. Was I wrong for riding my bike (at about 40km/h) in a way to block the bus from passing or should I have let the bus pass me only to stop at any given time infront of me without warning.

Edited by MorewoodMad

My personal rule is that eye contact trumps everything - as long as drivers see you as the big bad cycling collective they feel they can kill you without guilt. As soon as you make it personal with eye contact they tend treat you like a fellow human being.

Sure, that works very well for vehicles approaching, but it's the ones BEHIND that bother me... It's better if traffic is stopped so you move to be 1st off at the intersection. I put myself as far ahead of the next car as I can. But if you approach from the left in moving traffic & try move right into 'your' (ha) lane, it's metal-mash time... And there's no way you're going to be able to hold the lane unless cars are moving really slow & even then someone will want to park on you.

Don't get me wrong, I do go through right turn intersections but it seems to be getting more dicey. Or am I just getting old????