Advice on lightening my bike

madvics

I've just lost 10kg since Nov(5kg more to go) so I can tell you what a massive difference the body weight loss makes, and it was free, so cheap I even saved money, the money saved has enabled me to reward myself by buying a new carbon frame, double whammy :clap:

Ding Ding! that's it right there. Congrats man! :D 10kg is not insignificant. Bloody good job!

Thanks guys for all the advice, I'm not over weight and not the tallest of guys,I've ridden a couple of 29ers don't really feel comfortable on them, and since I'm not doing mtb as a profession I don't see the need to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a carbon bike. I love doing technical tracks and I love my bike it works for me. I'm definitely gonna look around for a good set of rims, and a better fork and shock.

Good luck with this exercise.

You would be amazed at how much better your bike will handle proper single track with a good fork. A good fork would also be lighter than your current one. This will become very apparent when boosting up tge front end to clear obstacles on the trail.

If you are going to buy both a new wheelset and fork, might I suggest a through axel type set up for the fork as this will stiffen up the front end nicely. This given that you say you are more trail orientated should serve you well.

H

Good luck with this exercise.

You would be amazed at how much better your bike will handle proper single track with a good fork. A good fork would also be lighter than your current one. This will become very apparent when boosting up tge front end to clear obstacles on the trail.

If you are going to buy both a new wheelset and fork, might I suggest a through axel type set up for the fork as this will stiffen up the front end nicely. This given that you say you are more trail orientated should serve you well.

Thanks hairy, just a dumb question what do u mean by a through axle?

13kg for a full suspension is not exactly heavy. It's not in the super light category, but it is pretty respectable.

It is at this point where the law of diminishing returns starts to take hold of your wallet. Cutting further weight will start to cost more and more. I would leave as is and as somebody else mentioned, start buying lighter parts as the old ones wear out.

Unless of course, you want an excuse to upgrade (like the rest of us), then go wild.

Hi there ... ask away ... this is what this forum is for!

The LINK shows an example of the fork I am referring to