[Event] Bay City Cycle Tour Funride & League Event

'Dale

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you are back on the road again. All healed up?

yep bit on pain in ankle but its manageable.

obviously after just over 3 weeks of junk food and no riding has taken its toll. but like Dale has mentioned before its cycling these things happen... good to hear you peaking at the right time too

Edited by Meezo

Damn, Meezo, did not see you at all, man.

You should have made a U turn and helped the highly tactical, but slow, D-E bunch along...

Just 10 minutes of red-zone from the Raleigh, eh?

more like 10 seconds, fitness is low. and wouldn't want someone in the group to pepper spray me since i didnt have my race number.

No, I wasn't caught. I was suprised that no one was behind me since I moved off the front of the bunch very slowly and kept it slow for a few more meters before increasing the pace.

I think that with all the non-competitors on the road, guys were getting away too easily without being spotted....... two guys got away (but got caught again) just after the Cape Point entrance. It happened as we were passing some randoms and the guys who were in front at that point showed no interest in chasing them down. As we turned towards Scarborough, a few of us put in a solid effort to catch them which we did by the time we hit misty cliffs.

Well done man. You must have had a great race. :thumbup: Wish I had as much time as you do to go riding :(

more like 10 seconds, fitness is low. and wouldn't want someone in the group to pepper spray me since i didnt have my race number.

Yeah, too high-risk a move.

Pepper sprayed eyes, delicate ankle - too much for a Sunday ride!

:lol:

Carefull there, thin ice. Might just do it now, out of principle. :D :P :lol:

I think that with all the non-competitors on the road, guys were getting away too easily without being spotted....... two guys got away (but got caught again) just after the Cape Point entrance. It happened as we were passing some randoms and the guys who were in front at that point showed no interest in chasing them down. As we turned towards Scarborough, a few of us put in a solid effort to catch them which we did by the time we hit misty cliffs. Well done man. You must have had a great race. :thumbup: Wish I had as much time as you do to go riding :(

One rider broke off on the fast descent past Smitswinkel Pass.

I was sitting in the front 5.

We just watched him sizzle and reeled him in at Misty Cliffs.

He actually finished in the main sprint for top 5!

Feel out of depth posting on this thread :blush: but I was riding in Z group and approx 3/4km in a rider in Niche Logistics (blue and orange) kit went down after a squirrel tried committing suicide by running across the road just as the bunch was passing by. Luckily I just managed to avoid the crash. There was quite a big Niche Logistics group so if anyone know's how the rider is please post.

My first time doing Ou Kaapse and man is it a beast! I live in the Northern suburbs and thought Helshoogte (new) would give me an idea of what to expect on OKW. My main thought going up was not to get off my bike for any reason and was happy with my 3:16 finish. By the way, what sort of finish time would that give me for the Argus (also my first attempt this year)?

My first time I did Ou Kaapse Weg was 2 years ago and I thought I was going to die. Admittedly I walked a short bit.

This year is the first time I did OKW since then, and I've done it twice and much better. Yesterday I went over better than expected but mentally I was well prepared for it. You'll get better and stronger as you continue riding. :thumbup:

Yesterday's ride really surprised me. When we started my legs were just dead. I tried to stay with the front runners but my legs just weren't there. I stayed with the bunch from there on.

We had a tandem with us and we were flying down the back of Smitswinkel. Tandem you beauty! Anyway come OKP and I did reasonably well and I kept pushing once I reached the bottom of OKP. I caught up with 3 K riders on the last stretch. Looking at the results I came in 6th in K group with a time of 2h46. I was really surprised as I thought I had been much further back in the group. Quite chuffed especially considering that I wasn't feeling great.

I think that with all the non-competitors on the road, guys were getting away too easily without being spotted....... two guys got away (but got caught again) just after the Cape Point entrance. It happened as we were passing some randoms and the guys who were in front at that point showed no interest in chasing them down. As we turned towards Scarborough, a few of us put in a solid effort to catch them which we did by the time we hit misty cliffs.

Well done man. You must have had a great race. :thumbup: Wish I had as much time as you do to go riding :(

Thanks, breaking away is the only way I would ever make it in that funride, my descending skills is well non existant. Leading up to the break away I was already dropped on the first descend at the big intersection next to the golf course, then dropped again on the first descend of Boyes Drive then again on the 2nd descend, and offcourse again on the very steep section going down - I only caught up with the bunch just before entering Fish Hoek.

You don't have time to go ride before work?

It was Warren (Virgin Active kit, deep sections and facial hair) and another guy that got away at the top of Smits. It was also Warren who led us up Ou Kaapse, and then with 3kms to go rode off the front in a dash for the line.

CVANC was wearing Manic Cycles kit.

My first time I did Ou Kaapse Weg was 2 years ago and I thought I was going to die. Admittedly I walked a short bit.

This year is the first time I did OKW since then, and I've done it twice and much better. Yesterday I went over better than expected but mentally I was well prepared for it. You'll get better and stronger as you continue riding. :thumbup:

Yesterday's ride really surprised me. When we started my legs were just dead. I tried to stay with the front runners but my legs just weren't there. I stayed with the bunch from there on.

...reminds me of my Boeckert-Soenen race...

it was a loooong race in the heat of the Boland.

Thanks, breaking away is the only way I would ever make it in that funride, my descending skills is well non existant. Leading up to the break away I was already dropped on the first descend at the big intersection next to the golf course, then dropped again on the first descend of Boyes Drive then again on the 2nd descend, and offcourse again on the very steep section going down - I only caught up with the bunch just before entering Fish Hoek.

You don't have time to go ride before work?

I descend like a deamon - so popped off the front there at Westlake on both ends, Boyes drive I positioned myself near the front, led at the corner at Kalk Bay and on my solo descent of Ou Kaaps, hit 81.8Km/h with a cadence of 133rpm at some point. I hate descending in bunches just for the slight chance that something goes pear shape and I end up becoming one with someone else's bicycle.

LOL! I'll have to get up at some crazy hour to ride before work. Live in Wellington and work in Gordon's Bay. Up at 5:30 to leave at 6:30 and only get back home around 6;15.

Tried convincing the boss to build in a shower at work so that I can cycle to and/or from work but that didn't work out - should try again I think.

Riding league (elites) in Spring so definitely need to get some quality mileage in before then.

LOL! I'll have to get up at some crazy hour to ride before work. Live in Wellington and work in Gordon's Bay. Up at 5:30 to leave at 6:30 and only get back home around 6;15.

hijack - pm me and i'll organize a post or pre work ride one day. I'm in somerset west

hijack - pm me and i'll organize a post or pre work ride one day. I'm in somerset west

My problem is that I have to drop my wife off in Stellies en-route to work...... that is where the logistics get stuck. She is already getting to work at 7:15 and getting fetched at 5:30 :eek:

My problem is that I have to drop my wife off in Stellies en-route to work...... that is where the logistics get stuck. She is already getting to work at 7:15 and getting fetched at 5:30 :eek:

stellies is down the road from wellington. She can walk ;)

Tried convincing the boss to build in a shower at work so that I can cycle to and/or from work but that didn't work out - should try again I think.

Riding league (elites) in Spring so definitely need to get some quality mileage in before then.

If you have a gym membership you could shower there. As you know your commute is 70+ km each way via the R44 - prolly more practical to park in Stellies and ride from there? Or do the whole thing if you like - good base training - not that you need it for most of our races :P

When I first started doing funrides I once commuted Fish Hoek to town and back via Atlantic Seaboard 3x in one week - 90km a day, hard as I could on a steel bike with 10kg bag, about 1500m climbing x3 - then tried to go race on the weekend, only to find - suprise surprise - I was totally poked.

Now when I'm racing I do easy stuff all week with maybe 2x10 minutes on a wednesday or a trip to Killarney at most.