[Event] Bay City Cycle Tour Funride & League Event

'Dale

My problem is that I have to drop my wife off in Stellies en-route to work...... that is where the logistics get stuck. She is already getting to work at 7:15 and getting fetched at 5:30 :eek:

Give her the 660. :devil: :devil:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I descend like a deamon - so popped off the front there at Westlake on both ends, Boyes drive I positioned myself near the front, led at the corner at Kalk Bay and on my solo descent of Ou Kaaps, hit 81.8Km/h with a cadence of 133rpm at some point. I hate descending in bunches just for the slight chance that something goes pear shape and I end up becoming one with someone else's bicycle.

LOL! I'll have to get up at some crazy hour to ride before work. Live in Wellington and work in Gordon's Bay. Up at 5:30 to leave at 6:30 and only get back home around 6;15.

Tried convincing the boss to build in a shower at work so that I can cycle to and/or from work but that didn't work out - should try again I think.

Riding league (elites) in Spring so definitely need to get some quality mileage in before then.

My max speed for the ride 69.2kph, in fact I don't think I've ever been over 70kph in my life, considering that image how fast I was going on the flats ;)

Seeing you riding leugue next season, well - you are going to be in for a nasty suprise, especially on the climbs!

I hit 70 down Slangkop yesterday - averaged over 60 top to bottom. I was away with Tarmac and Stuart Strang - figured we could make some time on the downhill, but when I got to the bottom the guys weren't there any more :P

LOL! I'll have to get up at some crazy hour to ride before work. Live in Wellington and work in Gordon's Bay. Up at 5:30 to leave at 6:30 and only get back home around 6;15.

if your commute's quite far you could also try driving into work in the morning with the bike in the car and riding home that same evening leaving the car at the office. next day you ride to the office in the morning and drive back with the bike in the car that evening.

I hit 70 down Slangkop yesterday - averaged over 60 top to bottom. I was away with Tarmac and Stuart Strang - figured we could make some time on the downhill, but when I got to the bottom the guys weren't there any more :P

luke, sounds like you need to get a bit wider to provide a better wake!

great effort on staying away for so long, pity one of the cyclelab guys hunted you down up okw and brought the bunch with him - maybe if you had one more pair of legs in the break? (um, not me)

Eish.... The Yammie!!!! :o

Yamaha XT660 Tenere, to give it it's full name.

Wazzat?

A new Merc?

The Tenere XT660Z is too high for her to ride - that is why it is perfect for me :thumbup: Would have to mod it for her to ride - then she needs to get her licence first.

if your commute's quite far you could also try driving into work in the morning with the bike in the car and riding home that same evening leaving the car at the office. next day you ride to the office in the morning and drive back with the bike in the car that evening.

Yeah, it's a nice 65Km to work one way - considered that but then my wife has to use her own car....... trying to conserve petrol here.

Have considered her dropping me off at work in the AM and me riding home in the PM or vice versa...... but she is doing a course Tues and Wed PM at the moment and I prefer to ride in the AM if I have a choice - but with the upgrade to Elites in Spring, I m going to K@K off big time...... at least the spring races are fairly flatter than the summer league's routes.

Yeah, it's a nice 65Km to work one way - considered that but then my wife has to use her own car....... trying to conserve petrol here.

Have considered her dropping me off at work in the AM and me riding home in the PM or vice versa...... but she is doing a course Tues and Wed PM at the moment and I prefer to ride in the AM if I have a choice - but with the upgrade to Elites in Spring, I m going to K@K off big time...... at least the spring races are fairly flatter than the summer league's routes.

doesn't necessarily make them any easier.

i thought, seeing as i'm generally stronger on the flats, i could chill in the pack, but racing doesn't work like that - so get used to riding your guts out for about 20mins and then accelerating from there for about 5mins or so, rinse, repeat, get the drill - will happen at every corner and pray you don't get crosswinds.

i've only done a half season of league and i've found one starts to get quite emotional when you see the 1km to go banner!

We had a bit of a lonely race yesterday on the tandem. Decided to do the race only on Friday, so we entered on the line at the race venue. Got there a little late and battled to find parking. Then it appeared that I'd had left my water bottle at home :cursing: , so my pilot offered to share his two bottles of water. Then it was a mission to get to the registration table and get entered in time. All our own faults of course, but we didn't get too serious about matters :D .

We had aimed to start in the tandem category but by the time we got to the start line we only found H group ready to go, so we hopped in with them. The bunch started off with the usual haste but after about 300m we found our legs and gears and rode well off the front, taking a few riders with. A short while later we dropped our chain and had to stop to sort it out, leaving our followers to their own devices and wheels to suck. Having got the chain sorted out we saw that the main bunch was still not on us, so we hustled to try catch up with our beneficiaries ahead of us, but then my pilot missed the Boyes Drive turn by about 50m :whistling: :D

We did an about-turn and then joined the back of the main H bunch as they turned onto Boyes. We rode up the start of Boyes with them and then rode away from them at that point, surprisingly taking no-one with us.

From there we cranked a solo ride to Simonstown not seeing much in the way of official riders. Just before Simonstown we caught up with our beneficiaries who had no doubt latched onto some F/G etc riders, creating a nice little bunch. In no time at all we were once again pacing at the front until just before cresting Smit's. Thereafter we found some bigger gears, got our heads down, and rode away, alone again, for ages, passing lots of riders, including lots of casual riders. Not until Sun Valley did we start to pick up some more riders, who found some nice spots on our wheel .What are tandems for eh ? :)

Then, as we were about to leave Sun Valley, a traffic cop decides to stop all the cyclists at the lights to let cars through :blink: It's just not that easy to bring a tandem to a dead stop from +30kph in 20m !! Somehow we managed to slow down enough to avoid being squished.

Then onto OKW we ventured, trying to pace ourselves as best we could. Half-way up we were passed by our earlier beneficiaries, and then a little while later, towards the top, quite a few more of H group passed us. Cresting OKW was quite a relief, but we didn't plan on resting yet as the finish line was still a little way off.

We descended OKW like a rocket, passing cars and other riders, and trying not to overheat the rims with braking too much, or at all. The last few bumps home were uneventful, but we kept our speed up and went over the mats on 2H37, which we were not unhappy with, considering that we would have probably finished 2nd or 3rd had we had the benefit of being in the tandem bunch, and not dropping chains and missing turn-offs :D

stellies is down the road from wellington. She can walk ;)

Would you still like to see me at the races, or will you prefer me to race with Ernst van Dyk? :eek:

If you have a gym membership you could shower there. As you know your commute is 70+ km each way via the R44 - prolly more practical to park in Stellies and ride from there? Or do the whole thing if you like - good base training - not that you need it for most of our races :P

When I first started doing funrides I once commuted Fish Hoek to town and back via Atlantic Seaboard 3x in one week - 90km a day, hard as I could on a steel bike with 10kg bag, about 1500m climbing x3 - then tried to go race on the weekend, only to find - suprise surprise - I was totally poked.

Now when I'm racing I do easy stuff all week with maybe 2x10 minutes on a wednesday or a trip to Killarney at most.

Yeah, that was my mistake last week - did the wellington crit on Wednesday and then some low cadence hill climb work on Thursday. Legs felt heavy at the start line..... rookie mistake.

In season it should be speed work in the week and race with distance over the weekend.

@SeanMort. You guys slotted in next to me on the starting line. Then you came flying past me just after the last circle in Westlake. I tried to latch onto your wheel, but you were waayyy to fast. Still commented on it at the finish line (unless there was another Tandem pair with red kit ;) ^_^)

Then, as we were about to leave Sun Valley, a traffic cop decides to stop all the cyclists at the lights to let cars through :blink: It's just not that easy to bring a tandem to a dead stop from +30kph in 20m !!

WTF! Tjop I say!

You would have loved the ride with the official tandem group. We caught them going past the Prison on the way to Boyes and they sat with for the wind protection - some sat with us up until Ou Kaaps. There was this sexy looking white cannondale tandem with disk brakes :thumbup:

@SeanMort. You guys slotted in next to me on the starting line. Then you came flying past me just after the last circle in Westlake. I tried to latch onto your wheel, but you were waayyy to fast. Still commented on it at the finish line (unless there was another Tandem pair with red kit ;) ^_^)

Hey yeah, I remember speaking to you at the finish :) Yep, that was us, in City Cycling Club kit. We were a little stuffed at the finish, and famished as hell, but that's what happens when you only have 2 bottles of plain water, 2 gels and roll of Super C's between you in a race. We saved the gels and Super C's for OKW :D

This past weekend I made peace with the fact that its ok to wheelsuck a tandem. There's just no point really in trying to take the lead with a tandem, with the exception on the hills.