Upgrading Road Bike?

TricycleRacer

Hi All

I got into cycling not too long ago and bought myself a Raleigh RC2000 as an entry level bike. Now with my this, hopefully my 3rd Argus tour, I will be looking for an upgrade. I have started looking around for models and pricing. What can you guys recommend? The Raleigh brand I think has taken a little dip of late. I am looking for XL frame, 10 speed, Aluminium or carbon fibre.

I’ve had a look at a Merida Race 903 (Tiagra 10spd) for R8300.00 at Cycle Factory Shop , CW Cycles offered me the Merida RaceLite for R9000.00 but I see they have the Cannondale CAAD 8 (Tiagra 10spd) for R9000.00

Anything you guys can recommend? Thanks...

Both the mentioned Merida and Cannondale are great bikes at an affordable price point. Choose the one that you fancy the most, and save up for a wheel upgrade before next year's Argus.

At least buy something with 105, but preferably Ultegra - the price jump is not that much.

Try getting a 2011 (or better still, earlier) model --> far cheaper and it was ALL THE RAVE a mere 12 months ago :eek:

At least buy something with 105, but preferably Ultegra - the price jump is not that much.

Try getting a 2011 (or better still, earlier) model --> far cheaper and it was ALL THE RAVE a mere 12 months ago :eek:

...or even Dura Ace Di2! The OP was requesting assistance to buy a Tiagra equipped bike, because it is probably within his price range, and now you suggest a far more expensive bike!

...or even Dura Ace Di2! The OP was requesting assistance to buy a Tiagra equipped bike, because it is probably within his price range, and now you suggest a far more expensive bike!

I beg to disagree :huh:

" I am looking for XL frame, 10 speed, Aluminium or carbon fibre."

Continuing then with examples that he had a look at, which happened to be Tiagra equipped, hence my comment

;)

I did give an alternative to soften the price-tag's impact too.

What I thought the astute reader would also realise, is that I (attempted) a kind/gentle approach of saying:

Dude, you've progressed from a tricycle to something barely better. Now you want to replace it with another entry level bike (Tiagra IS entry level). Seriously, you don't need to own everything between entry and worth-your-while --> it is ok to jump to soemthing worth your while. :ph34r:

Anyway, my trippance

Topic Hijack

A question to all the roadies, how much better is 105 than TIAGRA and then the next step up - is there really big differences? I recently upgraded from 8 speed sora to 9 speed Tiagra(how much better can it get?)

Hijack off........ :whistling:

Why not look at the new Axis range (the new name for Raleigh in SA)? For R9 000 odd, you can get a bike specced with the new 105 groupset and wheels that are far better quality than any of the bikes mentioned in your first post. If you want Tiagra, you can get one for about R6 500.

check www.axis-bikes.com

Personally, I wouldn't go from Sora to Tiagra, the jump in quality isn't enough to justify the purchase of a whole new bike.

Edited by Eugene

Why not look at the new Axis range (the new name for Raleigh in SA)? For R9 000 odd, you can get a bike specced with the new 105 groupset and wheels that are far better quality than any of the bikes mentioned in your first post. If you want Tiagra, you can get one for about R6 500.

check www.axis-bikes.com

Personally, I wouldn't go from Sora to Tiagra, the jump in quality isn't enough to justify the purchase of a whole new bike.

Look at bike with at least 105 as a decent upgrade.The Axis AR30 seems like a good buy.

Also have a look in the classifieds,like this one.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/21972-giant-tcr-c1/

thanks for the advice all....I'm going to CWC on Saturday to have a look at the Cannondale but at the same to see what else is on offer.

Wanting to get new rims for bike, have shimano components and have Alex R320 at the moment, apparently I have heard that wheelset is best improvement for money.

Tricyle, you want new, or happy with second hand ?

There was an RC6000 going for a song on the classifieds

Tricycle, u found a roadbike already, what is your budget? Speak to Chris @Cycle factory he's giving me a good deal on a Strela concept carbon with 105