Bike for commuting...

StevieL

I am looking for a bike around the R5k mark that I want to use purely for commuting. (15km each way)

I suppose a hybrid or something similar would suit best.

Does anyone have any idea of where/what to start looking at?

This is new territory for me.

Calling time on commuting on a carbon race bike with deep sections. (undermines the value of the bike IMO.)

Edited by StevieL

I use this bike, it's comfortable and cost less than 5k. About R4700 if memory serves.

Exactly the type of bike I had in mind. Thanks!

Now just have to find a dealer...

I've seen the Scott Metrix at a bike shop in P.E. (and taken for a very short test ride, it's quite a fun bike) It's around the R4600 mark.

Edited by Jacquers

I commute on a single speed MTB - tough, reliable and I can go off-road where possible to avoid the cars, taxis and pedestrians.

Why buy a whole new bike? Why not just spend the money on a commuting-specific wheelset (that's what I've done with my tarmac - love that bike too much).

The only time I'd fork out for another whole bike is if I lived close to work and could afford to cruise to the office. Then I'd spend some money on a fixie with a bit of retro style B)

post-22004-0-64621700-1330611360.jpg

Have you considered a cx bike? Then you can go off road a bit when needed (you know how some road user are)

Exactly the type of bike I had in mind. Thanks! Now just have to find a dealer...

I think any Giant dealer should be able to order it for you. I got mine from a place which didn't stock them generally. Finding one to view is probably gonna be the main mission - unless we extend our commutes in the morning and meet somewhere between Northcliff and Cape Town? :whistling:

Why buy a whole new bike? Why not just spend the money on a commuting-specific wheelset (that's what I've done with my tarmac - love that bike too much).

The only time I'd fork out for another whole bike is if I lived close to work and could afford to cruise to the office. Then I'd spend some money on a fixie with a bit of retro style B)

Oh my sainted aunt! That is a piece of loveliness.