Which front light for early morning road training in and around CT?

ROCKITRIDEIT

Road bike front lights  

4 members have voted

1. 1. The following lights are available from CWC, which would you choose?

• Bicycle Light 1000 Lums (SG-B1000) R950
    • Bicycle Light 1000 Lums (SG-N1000) R1100
    • Magic Light ML1000 R1599

Dear knowledgable Hubbers,

As winter draws nearer I'm looking to buy a front light to be used predominantly for morning road riding in and around CT, and have narrowed down my choice to the following options (prices quoted from CWC).

Which would you go for? Any good advice appreciated.

Cheers

Ross

just pls pls pls, as an early morning driver to work, if u going to be coming toward cpt along the marine drive cycle lane, please be considerate and DONT run your front light in strobe mode.

but any of those lights will work. I have the magicshine 818, and I've only ever needed the two smaller side lights. I've never been forced torun the main light or all three at once. The street lighting, even during winter and well into the predawn darkness is quite sufficient.

Edited by Capricorn

check out the SERFAS front and rear light, 1500 lumans and usb rechargeable with both helmet and bar mount and half the price, approx 600 for front and 280 for rear, nothing comes close for the price, been using mine for a year for road and mtb rides.

check out the SERFAS front and rear light, 1500 lumans and usb rechargeable with both helmet and bar mount and half the price, approx 600 for front and 280 for rear, nothing comes close for the price, been using mine for a year for road and mtb rides.

Where did you find it and which model? The only 1500 lumen USB Serfas I've found is the TSL-1500 that goes for about R3k.

thaye're all a ripoff, get yourself those frog falshers, unless you can't see in the dark and ride where there is no street lights. Nothoing draws attendtion like a flashing light.

why is the 808 not on the list? I have one and it works like a bomb. Ride on road with the light set on the dimmer static light setting and have no issues. The brighter setting is awesome.

Edit: I have one of those RavX tail lights for R80 at Sportsmans - 4 or 5 led's. That thing is moer bright for the rear light.

Edited by Tiny K

thaye're all a ripoff, get yourself those frog falshers, unless you can't see in the dark and ride where there is no street lights. Nothoing draws attendtion like a flashing light.

And nothing gets me as irate as a flashing light does. Just wanna klap people who use them. If you want to draw attention to yourself, put some bar-end lights in your bars and a steady state light or 2 at the front. If you want to become the victim when you blind a driver with your flashing light, and he can't see where he's going, then that's your problem. Another darwinian approach to life.

Edited by cptmayhem

agreed with Tinky and Mayhem... the problem with what I've experienced to date, is max power on strobe. When riding in the cycle lane at dawn (low light conditions), that thing might as well be a flippin lazer. it's blinding. Hence my request to rather ride with a steady beam, or follow TinyKs very rational approach. run strobe, but at lower power.

ooo soz man. that came out weird.. Tinky instead of Tiny K.. :P

thanks for the feedback so far.

just to clarify the light would be used on constant beam setting for riding Cape Town southern suburbs morning training rides as certain areas of the S-Burbs are not very well lit (FWIW IMHO the front light should never be on strobe anyway).

Tiny K - I think the ML1000 is the new 808 which I read on the interweb had some problems with overheating (although constant airflow over the light should negate this problem).

shaune, can you provide a link for the SERFAS at the price you quote? If they are as good as the other options but half the price, and if no-one has any compelling reason why not to buy them, I would obviously consider them.

Thanks

why would you want to run strobe in the cycle lane, not like there will be cars coming from the front hitting you? run a medium beam, you run a strobe when you on the back roads!

Tourist - if you're referring to the areas around Tokai (spaanschemat river road etc) and up / over Constantia Nek, then I agree - they are pik-donker! I wouldn't be able to see anything if not for a light. And when the lights are on, the beams just get soaked up like they're a bunch of nothing. In those cases, a flashing light is even more dangerous, 'cos in addition to blinding oncoming drivers (and substantially increasing your chances of becoming a bonnet-kebab) you'll be riding as if you're in a club and only seeing s a c es of the road ahead of you. Very dangerous...

Why not go for this: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-94182?utm_source=dx&utm_medium=edm&utm_campaign=20120203s&r=90000319

Similar to a 808 for R400 (inc VAT). Ive been using using a 808 for 2 years and it works fine. If something goes wrong there is a guy in Stellenbosch, Hannes Zietsman, who has all the spares for these like lights. He is on TheHub.

why would you want to run strobe in the cycle lane, not like there will be cars coming from the front hitting you? run a medium beam, you run a strobe when you on the back roads!

No. You never run a strobe, especially on the back roads. Even more chance of you blinding an oncoming driver and him skewering you onto the nearest fence-pole. Only place for a strobe is in Tiger Tiger or on an aircraft

just pls pls pls, as an early morning driver to work, if u going to be coming toward cpt along the marine drive cycle lane, please be considerate and DONT run your front light in strobe mode.

but any of those lights will work. I have the magicshine 818, and I've only ever needed the two smaller side lights. I've never been forced torun the main light or all three at once. The street lighting, even during winter and well into the predawn darkness is quite sufficient.

I go from Melkbos into town. The only place I run full power light is between Melkbos and Big Bay, otherwise I wouldn't be able to see my hand in front of my face. That stretch is pitch black. For the rest I hardly need a light, but usually just leave it on the low setting. Never strobe. It just makes me dizzy :wacko:

However, when it is on full power I realise it can be quite bright for oncoming traffic, so try and point it down somewhat. I keep it high enough so that I can see enough road to feel safe, without the beam being too high and straight.

Edited by Pronutro