Newbie not knowing what to buy

Octavian

Hi Guys,

I am a total newbie to mountain biking and have been entered by my work to partake in this years Tour de Tuli.

I need to start practicing soon and would like some advise on what to buy.

Lets start with the bike. My budget is R20 000. What would you guys recommend.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, here we go...

Let me chip in - many more to come.

Cannondale Lefty Alu frame

Edited by ' Dale

My suggestion would be get the best Dual Suspension for the price, easier on the rear end as you going to be riding multiple days

26 or 29 not really important but that's another argument debate.

Hi Guys,

I am a total newbie to mountain biking and have been entered by my work to partake in this years Tour de Tuli.

I need to start practicing soon and would like some advise on what to buy.

Lets start with the bike. My budget is R20 000. What would you guys recommend.

20K for bike? or 20K for cycling equipment?

Could it be

R20K

- Helmet

- Camelbak

- Shoes

- Clothes (set per day?)

- Pedals

- Tubeless conversion & tyres

- gadgets (Garmin/cycling computer)

= Amount to spend on bike ?

Eish, go to Morning Side Cycles, they will hook you up with something VERY decsent for that.

20K for bike? or 20K for cycling equipment?

Could it be

R20K

- Helmet

- Camelbak

- Shoes

- Clothes (set per day?)

- Pedals

- Tubeless conversion & tyres

- gadgets (Garmin/cycling computer)

= Amount to spend on bike ?

Good reality calculator, He Man...

Well, they asked if I would like to enter. Seeing that they paying the entry fee I didn't think it to unfair.

Scotty: A "know it all" colleague of mine has suggested that in terms of dual suspension, he doesn't even consider dual suspension at that price range due to quality concerns. He says at that price that the bike is more likely to break than anything else...

Good reality calculator, He Man...

I was looking at R20000 for the bike and about R10000 for the rest

Well, they asked if I would like to enter. Seeing that they paying the entry fee I didn't think it to unfair.

Scotty: A "know it all" colleague of mine has suggested that in terms of dual suspension, he doesn't even consider dual suspension at that price range due to quality concerns. He says at that price that the bike is more likely to break than anything else...

Your colleague talks nonsense. You can get a good quality DS bike at that price - or near to it. What sort of riding are you planning on doing after the Tuli?

Yeah nice budget. Nothing like doing it correctly the first time round. You probably going to save yourself huge bucks. If I used that as my first budget I would have saved plenty. Good luck. Rocky Mountain have come on the scene in a big way and sponsor some top guys I think. Give them a look at.

Normally a Hard Tail teaches you to ride proper lines, where us duallies get soft and just gooi mielies over most things :) however the reverse is true, lock out your shocks on a duallie and you can learn to ride the correct lines just as easily, so i say go with a dual.

Good bikes in that price range. And there are quite a couple

Gaint Anthem X2

Scot Spark

Alternativly just by my old anthem she's a stunner :P

Did your colleague consider the Scott Spark 40? I am sure there are no quality issue there.

Yeah nice budget. Nothing like doing it correctly the first time round. You probably going to save yourself huge bucks. If I used that as my first budget I would have saved plenty. Good luck. Rocky Mountain have come on the scene in a big way and sponsor some top guys I think. Give them a look at.

I bought the element 930 its an awesome bike a bit above his budget though.

Your colleague talks nonsense. You can get a good quality DS bike at that price - or near to it. What sort of riding are you planning on doing after the Tuli?

Tumbleweed: I plan to pretty much the same kind of rideing after the Tuli, maybe ride every second weekend....

My boss that has done the Epic twice says that he did all his practising on a hardtail and did the race using a softtail and that for the price differential he wouldn't recommend a softail for a newbie.

So, as you can see I am a bit confused right now...