Newbie not knowing what to buy

Octavian

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tumbleweed: I plan to pretty much the same kind of rideing after the Tuli, maybe ride every second weekend....

My boss that has done the Epic twice says that he did all his practising on a hardtail and did the race using a softtail and that for the price differential he wouldn't recommend a softail for a newbie.

So, as you can see I am a bit confused right now...

Then I'd suggest going for a mid- to highish-end hardtail. The skills thing was covered earlier on this thread. Then graduate to a DS when you get into it more*.

(*Don't sell the hardtail when you make the move. Always good to have more than one bike :devil: )

I have ridden in the that part of the world before. Awesome stuff. Enjoy it. Welcome to the spport and this forum.

What is a mid to highish-end hardtail price range?

And what brand would a person go for?

You need to go ride a few bikes and decide on a alu or carbon frame,racing or relaxed geometry.26" wheels or 29" wheels.

What is a mid to highish-end hardtail price range?

And what brand would a person go for?

Probably going to get burned now by all the hardtail riders but every beginner rider I know after riding a dual wanted one. I know of 6 people who replaced their hardtails.

Probably going to get burned now by all the hardtail riders but every beginner rider I know after riding a dual wanted one. I know of 6 people who replaced their hardtails.

Sorry,but i prefer my hardtail.

Edited by gummibear

I agree. Go for a FS and save yourself the cost of upgrading later.

Hi Ceres,

Is a R20000 softail as good a bike as a R20000 hardtail keeping in mind all the other non-suspension items, such as gears etc? Or do the benefits of the softail outweigh the other lower quality components?

I will probably go for a 26'er

Surprize choice...

The trend is THAT way.

ENjoy!

You need to go ride a few bikes and decide on a alu or carbon frame,racing or relaxed geometry.26" wheels or 29" wheels.

Yip.

Go test ride.