Tokai epic fail !!!

Goldencycles

So I just wanna let you guys know of what we went through at Tokai yesterday coming down the last piece

of the downhill traill at the rock jump. My friend had a crash coming off the rock jump and fractured his wrist as well as mild injuries to his neck . I called the Tokai sos telephone number and what a waste the lady on the line

did not even know what to do and all she did was give me another telephone number to call that did not even work. As time was wasting and it was becoming late i decided it was best for me to ride down and get my vehicle so that i could come and collect him. At the entrance at the bottom by that white house there is that boom gate that is always locked i then approached that guy that lives he drives a white Isuzu bakkie and asked him if he could just allow me to go with my up with the vehicle to collect my friend and he said "NO" he does not have the keys and he does not work there any longer so he cannot help me he did not even attempt to , so what the ****now. Anyway cut a long story short i left my kit at the house and i had to run back up for him and his kit cause i could not go back up with my downhill bike and kit again. I had to walk down with his kit while he tried to free wheel down to the parking with his injuries.

So here is where everything gets a bit F**ked up we left my friends vehicle in tokai parking and i took him through to constantiaberg hospital as we arrived there the guy i asked for help to open the gate was there and he just brought someone through that got injured in tokai so all of a sudden he had the key for the gate so he could help someone at that time but when i asked he could not so you know what he can go **** himself the piece of ***.

I dont even know why I pay everytime I go to Tokai. What am I paying for ? a *** service like that.

I will never forget how that guy refused to offer me any help, but he could help someone else he can go **** himself for the rest of his life ******* piece of ****.post-14573-0-79912900-1330857278.jpg

Edited by Goldencycles

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Healing vibes to your friend. Glad he seemed in good spirits despite his recent mishap.

PoS: AFAIK, there havent been many complaints recently about poor response from teh gatekeeper to injuries, if only because most times it's the emergency response teams who roll up at the gate. anything here worth discussing at your level/general guidance worth sharing to riders?

Gee whiz - hope your friend heals up well, dude...

Insofar as the guy who lives at Tokai (drives the white Isuzu) he has just finished taking care of tokai and has handed over to the new person in charge, so for all I know he may not have had any keys for the gate (though I doubt that)

Still, if what you say is true, his response is far less than desirable and is not what you would have expected at all... Least of all when you have an injured mate up there!

Just out of interest - when was the incedent? I know the guys at the entry gate are very understanding wrt injuries etc, and they often step up to help if it is serious...

Healing vibes, bro...

Hi there cptmayhem the incident happened yesterday evening at about 6 30pm so by that time the guys at the entry gate was long gone. U know I can understand that the guy no longer works for Tokai and that he no longer carries the keys , but u know the way he told me NO theres nothing he can do was a total insult and then what made it worst was the fact that we got him at the hospital helping someone else.

U know it's wrong of me to curse the man if I don't really know his situation where Tokai is concern and I take back all the bad things that I said about him it's just that u know my friend was lucky that I was with him to help. What happens when someone is alone up there and something like that happens again ?

what, so even though he isn't in charge anymore, he still gets to live in the house?!

i thought we were converting it to a bike store/pub from the 1 march>

Hope your friend gets well soon. The best thing to do in a case like this would be to call Netcare 911 or your cellphone emergency facility to come and to a proper medical evac, especially where possible neck injuries may have occurred. They would also know who to contact to ensure that they have access once they get to the entry point.

PS: AFAIK search and rescue is run on a voluntary basis and on donations. It does not form part of your trail fees. If your friend was missing in the mountain, it would have meant that they would need to call on their volunteer rescue teams to assist.

Hi there cptmayhem the incident happened yesterday evening at about 6 30pm so by that time the guys at the entry gate was long gone. U know I can understand that the guy no longer works for Tokai and that he no longer carries the keys , but u know the way he told me NO theres nothing he can do was a total insult and then what made it worst was the fact that we got him at the hospital helping someone else.

U know it's wrong of me to curse the man if I don't really know his situation where Tokai is concern and I take back all the bad things that I said about him it's just that u know my friend was lucky that I was with him to help. What happens when someone is alone up there and something like that happens again ?

Nought bro, if he was that harsh then you have every right to be p1§§ed off with him...

what, so even though he isn't in charge anymore, he still gets to live in the house?!

i thought we were converting it to a bike store/pub from the 1 march>

There's a 1 month handover process. Standard practice.

Guest Omega Man

Hope your mate gets well soon.

The guy with the white Isuzu is Chris Botes who is in the process of retiring. He's a real sour old prick. Tokai will be a better place without him.

This does however highlight a huge problem with Tokai. when the guys at the gate leave and there's an injury up there what then? Deon has a key for the gate. Maybe he needs to be the default emergency number?

Sorry if i'm dropping you in the poo here deon.

Another thing. I rode there yesterday. What a fun fast safe track. Props to everyone who's had a hand in it. Myself included. Hehe. I also saw MANY people who have no business on a downhill track riding down there. To all those people. Please guys. for your own safety if you plan to ride down a downhill track take the time to at least walk up it.

The guys that you see flying down there are for the most part highly skilled riders that have been riding there for years. They've also take the time to check out every rock, root and line to make sure they get down safely. No downhiller rides a track blind. You shouldn't either.

Edited by Omega Man

Hope your mate gets well soon.

The guy with the white Isuzu is Chris Botes who is in the process of retiring. He's a real sour old prick. Tokai will be a better place without him.

This does however highlight a huge problem with Tokai. when the guys at the gate leave and there's an injury up there what then? Deon has a key for the gate. Maybe he needs to be the default emergency number?

Another thing. I rode there yesterday. What a fun fast safe track. Props to everyone who's had a hand in it. Myself included. Hehe. I also saw MANY people who have no business on a downhill track riding down there. To all those people. Please guys. for your own safety if you plan to ride down a downhill track take the time to at least walk up it.

The guys that you see flying down there are for the most part highly skilled riders that have been riding there for years. They've also take the time to check out every rock, root and line to make sure they get down safely. No downhiller rides a track blind. You shouldn't either.

So true, dude... I still do it on my XC bike, but only because I know the track and where it goes and where the features are. And I know what I'm getting myself into. And then I do it on the DH bike! WooooHoo!

Guest Omega Man

So true, dude... I still do it on my XC bike, but only because I know the track and where it goes and where the features are. And I know what I'm getting myself into. And then I do it on the DH bike! WooooHoo!

Yeah. got to know the track. can't just ride down it slowly and thing that's safe. There are still holes and gaps to be had. Aaanyway. SUCH a fun track. i hope that guy that got hurt gets well soon.

grr,

I would assume this role in a flash, but there is a better system coming.

Yeah. got to know the track. can't just ride down it slowly and thing that's safe. There are still holes and gaps to be had. Aaanyway. SUCH a fun track. i hope that guy that got hurt gets well soon.

Yeah. 100%. But the gaps & holes make it fun!

Note to self - MUST. FIT. FLATS.

This is sad, sorry to say, but Tokai is one of the best tracks around largely due to the volunteers that build the trails. Everyone else pays to ride their in the hope of should anything happen, then at least the emergency number should work. Why should we pay if this is what happens?? Sorry but i needed to say this cause it is certainly not on. We want to be world class but cant even provide the services.

Guest Omega Man

So I just got back from a ride. I asked the dude at the gate and it turns out Chris Botes DOES have a key for the boom gate. It really shows the mark of a man when he won't even bother to help a guy with a neck injury.

I'm so happy he's going. ****

Edited by Pain or Shine