weight loss diet

Hi there!

Does anybody have or know of a good weight loss diet for cyclists?

Please let me know!!

regards

Behan

Train, train, train. And eat small amounts, often. No fizzy drinks or (help!) beer.

Some people find success with high protein low carb diets, others with high carb low protein etc etc.

Consume less calories than you expend and yes, watch those fizzy sugar-laden drinks ... I can't bring myself to advise anyone to drink less beer so ... what mayhem said ;)

Burn more calories than you eat. Weight loss is maths + piehole control.

Easier if you eat lots of small meals, low GI, high fibre and raw veg.

Train on an empty stomach early in the morning. At first it feels ***. Then after a week or two, you can manage it without feeling like a leper.

Keep your blood sugar balanced to avoid cravings. Calculate calories and make a note of what you eat. Figure out your daily limit and don't exceed it.

After trying many things over the years, I've found the Eco-Atkins works for me. It's basically a low carb, high protein, high fat diet. Fats are predominantly fish and veg based, not meat ( although there is still more than enough meat in the diet for me). I had a heart attack 6 months ago so high cholesterol items need to be managed carefully.

Just be aware that it's more a change in lifestyle than a simple do-this-and-loose-50kg diet. Don't try to jump in both feet at once .... Make the changes slowly over time so that it's not too onerous. I've been adapting my diet for 3 months and am nearly at the perfect balance.

The idea is to get your body to use fat and protein as its primary source of fuel. This process takes a while -3 weeks or so but the change has been noticeable. Spin offs are more energy, generally eat less, faster on the bike and lower fat %

For more info google Atkins , paleo or ketogenic diets or have a listen to what Tim Noakes has been saying lately. Also look for a book called 'Paleo diet for athletes' by joe friel .... A good balance of this approach but tailored for the requirements of athletes.

8 kilos for me :(

Don't fret. If you follow the above advice, you'll be surprised how easily you'll lose 8kg. I dropped that much since 1 jan. no booze in the week. Have a small early supper with no/low carbs.

It's worth it - you'll love how fast you feel!

To add to the other contributions.

Exercise daily, even small amounts.

Sometimes exercise twice daily.

Keep that metabolism fly wheel turning!

Also, check where you can make little changes in your everyday life e.g. go from three sugars in your coffee or whatever to one or none, cut out that packet of chips you buy from the snack guy coming round to the office, reduce your portions etc etc - all these little things help over time and imho that's what you need to reach and maintain your goal weight as you're likely to stick to these over the long term as opposed to making drastic changes, sticking to them for a bit and then reverting to old bad habits.

My opinon about these Modified cereals are even though they say low GI ive seen to many people bonk with their pure belief in the miracle of futurelife etc. Not sure if it doesnt digest quick enough or too quickly but seen many people that tried to just eat that before a race see their gatte. Nothing beats real food. Your body is geared to process it correctly, Have your breakfast on the way to the race, eat a couple of fruits, nuts etc, take a smoothy with just for fun, gulp it down before the race and go have fun.

Train with water in your bottle only and do 2 or more hours of riding.First 50minutes you burn blood and liver glucose .After that you start burning fat or protein .If you replace protein after riding you will start burning fat stores.It works for me just fine and i actually feel that i have more energy after 1 hour of riding.If you can do this 3 x4 week you will loose the weight. Stay away from sugar drinks and junkfood

Edited by arendoog

Burn more calories than you eat. Weight loss is maths + piehole control.

Easier if you eat lots of small meals, low GI, high fibre and raw veg.

Train on an empty stomach early in the morning. At first it feels ***. Then after a week or two, you can manage it without feeling like a leper.

I agree only thing that works for me is a 30min run before breakfast, mtb in the afternoon