Argus - spectator assistance - hand-up's - is it ok?

Rick

I checked the rules for the Argus and it makes no mention of any rule against hand-ups or drinks "on the move".

Obviously in the social categories nobody gives a damn, but is it legal? I am in a higher seeding group and i don't want to unwittingly have someone run me in if i accept a hand-up.

I would not be stupid and do it near a water point, this is thinking more of my son or wife giving me a banana on the way past.

Anybody know if there is a rule?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just do it on an incline where the pace is slower and out of the body of the bunch :thumbup:

I don't see it as an issue except for the risk of dropping a bottle, and going without juice/water for the rest of the race :thumbdown:

Edit: typo.

Edited by Tiny K

It's a 100km funride. You seriously can't just ride with two bottles and a couple of bananas in your pocket?

tell you what, how about you answer my question first, then i'll answer yours? :)

my son wants to give me a hand-up it makes him feel a part of it. i'm not asking for your approval, just trying to establish the rule.

tell you what, how about you answer my question first, then i'll answer yours? :)

How does the saying go? LMGTFY?

2.19 A rider shall complete the Cycle Tour course with his/her own effort and shall not receive any assistance in this regard other than drafting behind another rider or riders participating in the Cycle Tour.

If it's still a bit vague, try the official channel:

RACE OFFICE (RACE QUERIES)

Tel: +27 21 681 4333

Fax: +27 21 685 6648

info@cycletour.co.za

Edited by TNT1

How does the saying go? LMGTFY?

2.19 A rider shall complete the Cycle Tour course with his/her own effort and shall not receive any assistance in this regard other than drafting behind another rider or riders participating in the Cycle Tour.

If it's still a bit vague, try the official channel:

RACE OFFICE (RACE QUERIES)

Tel: +27 21 681 4333

Fax: +27 21 685 6648

info@cycletour.co.za

thanks, google to the rescue. doesn't really help though since by that definition a water point would also be outside assistance. i believe this clause refers to being pushed etc.

thanks, google to the rescue. doesn't really help though since by that definition a water point would also be outside assistance. i believe this clause refers to being pushed etc.

I believe there was a phone number you should use.

i can follow the official chanel, but that one busy chanel at the moment! not likely to get a quick answer.

i was here, posted the question.

don't stress if you don't know the answer, perhaps someone else does.

tell you what, do everyone a favour and arrange a meeting point beforehand with the family. pull over (after indicating to everyone around you) and have your banana at the side of the road (i.e. off the road) while stationary.

if you're in a higher seeded group, people around you are going to be riding for time and will be taking it seriously, so try not to get in the way.

just a heads up, otherwise enjoy the ride

Edited by nuge

tell you what, do everyone a favour and arrange a meeting point beforehand with the family. pull over (after indicating to everyone around you) and have your banana at the side of the road (i.e. off the road) while stationary.

if you're in a higher seeded group, people around you are going to be riding for time and will be taking it seriously, so try not to get in the way.

That's what I said. I was just being nice.

appreciate the advice nuge. can't really afford to stop. i am seeded A and i will never catch up if i stop. i would definitely move to the side and the meeting point is uphill, but the guys in A take things quite seriously so i worry about doing something illegal.

That's what I said. I was just being nice.

Appreciate your help TNT, sorry if we got off to a bad start there. I'm just getting a little tired of the tendency on the hub to criticise the question and not answer it. i know you were just sharing your opinion and thanks for the contact details, i'll probably end up going that route if nobody knows anything definitive.