Argus - spectator assistance - hand-up's - is it ok?

Rick

$ % VA VB etc i would say NO assistance (required) or permitted because of danger to other riders

A and back, yes they are still fast but since they are not competing for a win they would turn a blind eye to outside assistance. it's a funride so i doubt there would be strict rules on this outside the racing categories.

I was kinda hoping you were planning to form a human chain to slingshot me over chappies.

Edited by Tarmac's Revenge

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What group are you in?

$ % VA VB etc i would say NO assistance (required) or permitted because of danger to other riders

A and back, yes they are still fast but since they are not competing for a win they would turn a blind eye to outside assistance.

I was kinda hoping you were planning to form a human chain to slingshot me over chappies.

in A so i figured it might be borderline.

spoke to someone at the race office now and they said it's fine. in case anyone else wants peace of mind.

think i should have got that in writing though :huh:

In terms of the rule that TNT posted, there is no outside assistance allowed. Therefore I would say no, you cannot be seconded by anyone. This means that you may not arrange to have someone give you a bottle and / or banana on the side of the road.

Waterpoints are not considered as "outside assistance" They are dedicated points given to riders in the race by the race organizers, and as such are considered part of the race / ride.

i'll probably end up going that route if nobody knows anything definitive.

Seeded A, you should get clarity before the race.

in A so i figured it might be borderline.

spoke to someone at the race office now and they said it's fine. in case anyone else wants peace of mind.

think i should have got that in writing though :huh:

further to what I wrote above though, I doubt they will be looking that closely in the A Group (as opposed to VA, VB, $ etc). So, unless someone calls you out, you'll have a chance of being able to do it (although illegally in terms of the rules)

Having said that - I'd get that in writing...

Edited by cptmayhem

appreciate the advice nuge. can't really afford to stop. i am seeded A and i will never catch up if i stop. i would definitely move to the side and the meeting point is uphill, but the guys in A take things quite seriously so i worry about doing something illegal.

Dude, if you are in A, don't bother with the banana - unless it's going up suikerbossie....... myself and Nuge will ensure the pace will be high in A - you drop off and you are out.

My only concern is if you accidentally take out someone's wheel in the process of moving across to the side of the road. Not cool. As I said, move out of the bunch before the time, otherwise there will be guys bitchin at you.

As you have intimated, you are guning for time too - there is no time for your hand-up. Works for running, not for cycling.

Rather have him give you a coke or juice post race and let him wear your medal :thumbup:

In terms of the rule that TNT posted, there is no outside assistance allowed. Therefore I would say no, you cannot be seconded by anyone. This means that you may not arrange to have someone give you a bottle and / or banana on the side of the road.

Waterpoints are not considered as "outside assistance" They are dedicated points given to riders in the race by the race organizers, and as such are considered part of the race / ride.

What about the mechanical points then...... where do they fall? :eek:

further to what I wrote above though, I doubt they will be looking that closely in the A Group (as opposed to VA, VB, $ etc). So, unless someone calls you out, you'll have a chance of being able to do it (although illegally in terms of the rules)

Having said that - I'd get that in writing...

The problem with A is that there are plenty of VA/VB even licensed wannabe's, so they will get agro.

A and back, yes they are still fast but since they are not competing for a win they would turn a blind eye to outside assistance. it's a funride so i doubt there would be strict rules on this outside the racing categories.

Well, I would hope we wouldn't catch you (as I guess you are leaving in the first batch)....... but if we do (for some miraculous reason), sure we can slingshot you over the top of chappies and 'bossie :thumbup:

The problem with A is that there are plenty of VA/VB even licensed wannabe's, so they will get agro.

that's what I said....

that's what I said....

Ah, right you are. This isn't the only forum I waste time on, and I do some work in between...

Ah, right you are. This isn't the only forum I waste time on, and I do some work in between...

LOL! I try get some work in, but the drive is missing at the moment......

I'm interested that you're seeded A and are talking about a funrider-type-move mid-race. A is pretty damn aggressive in smaller races let alone the Argus. You must have plenty of race experience already and would know what an A bunch is going to put up with?

I'm interested that you're seeded A and are talking about a funrider-type-move mid-race. A is pretty damn aggressive in smaller races let alone the Argus. You must have plenty of race experience already and would know what an A bunch is going to put up with?

Eloquent as always, Joe.

and I do some work in between...

Now that does sound borderline in terms of rules - "working", surely a typo?