Opinions please: Petrol costs when car pooling and commuting by bike

Andre Maree

Me and my friend work at the same place, so we decided to commute together by car. So it is simply half each for petrol. But sometimes I take my bike with in the car to work and then ride back home. Should I then still pay petrol for driving in and driving home? Or should I then only pay petrol for the drive in?

If I may, two questions back at you, then you can answer your own question:

1) How would suggesting cutting the payment affect your friendship?

2) How would you feel (and be brutally honest) if your mate did that to you? Remember that he may be depending on the reduced costs to make ends meet ...

Tough one.

If you read men's health, ask Jimmy the Bartender.

You should still pay petrol for driving in and driving home. It's like splitting a hamburger and giving away your half. You still have to pay for it.

If this were turned abit on its head, if you needed to go somewhere on your way back from work occasioanlly, would you be willing to pay extra? If I were in your situation, I'd pay my half.

Its not about the money and I would not expect him to pay for the return by car if he commutes back by bike.

Me and my friend work at the same place, so we decided to commute together by car. So it is simply half each for petrol. But sometimes I take my bike with in the car to work and then ride back home. Should I then still pay petrol for driving in and driving home? Or should I then only pay petrol for the drive in?
Its not about the money and I would not expect him to pay for the return by car if he commutes back by bike.

If its not about the money, then what is it about? Because it sounds like a question about the money

I have already accepted to pay for the return journey by car, it is just about the principle, I think its a bit odd that I have to pay for petrol even when I commute by bike.

I was in a lift club where we used my car and the other party paid every alternate week. It got complicated when he skipped a day and came in his car. The simple solution to your problem is you alternate vehicles. That way if you use your car three days this week, then he uses his car three days next week. That way you are even. If you commute, then take your bike in on the days that he uses his car (for obvious reasons). Another way is to allocate two days a week to yourself and to him. On Friday you come in your own car regardless. That way no money changes hands and nobody owes anybody anything.

I have already accepted to pay for the return journey by car, it is just about the principle, I think its a bit odd that I have to pay for petrol even when I commute by bike.

You choose to commute by bike....

This must get the dumbass question of the month award

WTC? 4/13 didn't post the question, did he?

With petrol price going up tonight I'd say stop driving in & cycle 24/7 rain or sunshine, well at least that is what I'm going to be doing from after the cycle tour.

With petrol price going up tonight I'd say stop driving in & cycle 24/7 rain or sunshine, well at least that is what I'm going to be doing from after the cycle tour.

Motorbike. 16 litres gives me 450kms. In the car, 55 litres gives me 750kms. Maybe 800 if I'm super careful. You do the maths.