Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, and you ?

Yes, Type 1. Didn't understand why in an earlier post you mentioned your glucose levels. Do you try and restrict your son's carbo intake - obviously he's still young? I'm busy researching whether a Type 1 can also restrict carbo intake in general and whilst being active as a cyclist.

WoW, nice one ! No breakfast? not even eggs and cheese ? My blood glucose also about 3.5 - 3.8 after exercise. I have hand meters at home (son T1 diabetic) I agree with the adaption periods you mentioned.

Way to early for breakfast. :-) I was given a hand meter, but the price of the strips was HUGE, so I took a chance and asked the medics if they would test and they said no problem. :-)

@Topwine and @Richard 1973. You guys both Type 1??

Not at all, just interested in the benefits of Low carb high fat lifestyle particularly relating to my cycling.

Way to early for breakfast. :-) I was given a hand meter, but the price of the strips was HUGE, so I took a chance and asked the medics if they would test and they said no problem. :-)

what make and model meter do you have. the strips are about R200 - R300 for 50, I buy directly from overseas in bulk and save hundreds, if not thousands of rands for my son's supply.

Yes, Type 1. Didn't understand why in an earlier post you mentioned your glucose levels. Do you try and restrict your son's carbo intake - obviously he's still young? I'm busy researching whether a Type 1 can also restrict carbo intake in general and whilst being active as a cyclist.

I measure my own BG levels purely for interest sake to see how my body reacts to this diet. my fasting BG has come down since I have been on this diet, which is a good thing.

Obviously, I want to completely cut out all sugars, and limit carbs, from all of my kids diets, not only my type 1 son, but I firstly have to convince my wife that it is completely healthy for a growing child. Of course the dieticians is hugely oposed to it as well. The facts will survive though. It is just a matter of time.

You must read

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars [Kindle Edition]

Richard K. Bernstein (Author)

This guy is the most authoritive person in the world on Type 1 diabetics and low carb living.

I measure my own BG levels purely for interest sake to see how my body reacts to this diet. my fasting BG has come down since I have been on this diet, which is a good thing.

Obviously, I want to completely cut out all sugars, and limit carbs, from all of my kids diets, not only my type 1 son, but I firstly have to convince my wife that it is completely healthy for a growing child. Of course the dieticians is hugely oposed to it as well. The facts will survive though. It is just a matter of time.

You must read

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars [Kindle Edition]

Richard K. Bernstein (Author)

This guy is the most authoritive person in the world on Type 1 diabetics and low carb living.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Ok, so this is my 2nd day on keto. Up until this afternoon i was 100% fine. Now i am flat and tired. Really have no idea how i will do a gym session tomorrow morning and maybe a mtb ride tomorrow afternoon. Should you just go ahead and do it? Will there be no bonk feeling and dizziness?

I know that it gets better later but how do you go about it during this transition period?

Edited by Jaco-fiets

what make and model meter do you have. the strips are about R200 - R300 for 50, I buy directly from overseas in bulk and save hundreds, if not thousands of rands for my son's supply.

I took my meter that uses expensive strips to Dischem and they swopped it for a Contour TS meter, no questions asked....the bonus is that the strips are R150 for 50. Not sure if it was a special offer, but it seems they are still doing it, swopping old meters for new.

I am borderline Type 2, so I check once a day to monitor.

Read the literature so you can know what to expect. You are going to feel pap the first week or so. Drink more water at first and adjust your salt intake higher. Read that books !

Ok, so this is my 2nd day on keto. Up until this afternoon i was 100% fine. Now i am flat and tired. Really have no idea how i will do a gym session tomorrow morning and maybe a mtb ride tomorrow afternoon. Should you just go ahead and do it? Will there be no bonk feeling and dizziness?

I know that it gets better later but how do you go about it during this transition period?

You will feel like this for a couple of weeks, according to Dr T.N it is your body going into a sort of carb withdrawal. Carry on training, but don't push yourself too hard. Eventually your body will get used to burning fat for fuel and the flat and tired feeling goes away.

Edited by PeterF

I took my meter that uses expensive strips to Dischem and they swopped it for a Contour TS meter, no questions asked....the bonus is that the strips are R150 for 50. Not sure if it was a special offer, but it seems they are still doing it, swopping old meters for new.

The Contour is a "S&*%T " meter. I should know as I have tested and used it. The pharmacies makes more money from the contour strips than other models, that is why they give it away for free. The Accucheck Nano is much better. It is faster and uses less blood than the Contour, and you waste far less strips.

So are you doing the low Carb diet now ?