Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

I have changed my keto diet to a more TKD approach with some paleo influence. So only things that changed was that i am consuming some carbs before, during or after (or all 3) training. I am also cutting out dairy. The carbs i consume are fruits and some energy drink.

Only been doing this for a couple of days and have to say that i cope better with the higher intensity efforts allready. I will stick with adding carbs around my training (conservatively) but will stay away from dairy, grains, wheat ect

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Topwine and Jaco-fiets..

I am following Paleo (with a bit of dairy here and there) - do any of you guys use protein shakes? 32Gi maybe?

Topwine and Jaco-fiets..

I am following Paleo (with a bit of dairy here and there) - do any of you guys use protein shakes? 32Gi maybe?

32GI contains fructose. stay away from fructose ! Pure glucose is best form of carbohydrates, when used in moderation to not spike blood glucose too much. Moderate Protein is good, just watch the amount of sugar with it .

Topwine and Jaco-fiets..

I use a whey protein shake almost daily. After a hard ride or a gym session or when i feel peckish at night. Very important to keep your protein levels up and constant but play around with your carbs in relation with fat. I am planning to incorporate 32GI as part of my pre race meal. Since i will be using higher GI carbs (like gels) during longer rides and races it is kinda pointless for me to use 32GI during the race. If your entire approach is low GI then 32GI is good to use during races or long rides. The point of 32GI is to avoid a insulin spike and keep your bloodsugar constant thus mixing this with a high GI carb is pointless

I see you guys mentioning protein. My question is what recommendations for protein shakes/suppliments would you have for pre and post cycles and what is the best for during? I would assume carbs during the ride instead of protein?

I use a whey protein shake almost daily. After a hard ride or a gym session or when i feel peckish at night. Very important to keep your protein levels up and constant but play around with your carbs in relation with fat. I am planning to incorporate 32GI as part of my pre race meal. Since i will be using higher GI carbs (like gels) during longer rides and races it is kinda pointless for me to use 32GI during the race. If your entire approach is low GI then 32GI is good to use during races or long rides. The point of 32GI is to avoid a insulin spike and keep your bloodsugar constant thus mixing this with a high GI carb is pointless

People misunderstand the function of way overpriced 32GI. You can do your own slow uptake of glucose, without the negative effects of fructose, by adding small amounts of pure glucose to your water that you will consume over the duration of an hour or more QED !

People misunderstand the function of way overpriced 32GI. You can do your own slow uptake of glucose, without the negative effects of fructose, by adding small amounts of pure glucose to your water that you will consume over the duration of an hour or more QED !

Interesting! I was thinking 32GI just to avoid insulin spike before a race. Don't want to start the event on a energy "down". What would you consider a correct dose per volume per hour of dextrose to avoid insulin spike?

I see you guys mentioning protein. My question is what recommendations for protein shakes/suppliments would you have for pre and post cycles and what is the best for during? I would assume carbs during the ride instead of protein?

+1 - type of protein? Brand?

Was thinking 32GI protein as it has a 2:1 ratio, so less carbs. Feel that I need to take in Protein after training and struggling to eat protein after training.

The most important time to consume protein in this regard is post training. Pre and during you should focus mainly on carbs. Some protein 2 to 3hrs before the event is good. After training/race you can make your own recovery shake with basic whey protein, dextrose and glutamine (4:1 glucose to protein) or if you don't mind fructose, whey, mixed berries and glutamine. I prefer the 1st option because glucose replenishes muscle glycogen quicker. 1hr after shake you can start consuming propper food

Only carbs I get in will be veggies and fruit (minimal) and then every Wednesday and Saturday I might have Sweet potato but dont feel the need just to yet to increase the carb intake. Carb intake per day is about 100-120g.

Only carbs I get in will be veggies and fruit (minimal) and then every Wednesday and Saturday I might have Sweet potato but dont feel the need just to yet to increase the carb intake. Carb intake per day is about 100-120g.

Are you structuring your carbs around training? I will also be adding in sweet potato on racing days and the night before. Guess my approach is simular to yours. On non training days i will have no fruit and only trace carbs that adds up to less than 30g/day. My training day carbs is in your range using the same carb sources as you exept for the odd energy drink on long rides

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Interesting! I was thinking 32GI just to avoid insulin spike before a race. Don't want to start the event on a energy "down". What would you consider a correct dose per volume per hour of dextrose to avoid insulin spike?

that is very dependent on the individual. Test with BG meter while cycling every 15 min . You have to set upper limit of allowed BG level you would be happy with not to deduct from fat burn and loss of performance.

Are you structuring your carbs around training? I will also be adding in sweet potato on racing days and the night before. Guess my approach is simular to yours. On non training days i will have no fruit and only trace carbs that adds up to less than 30g/day. My training day carbs is in your range using the same carb sources as you exept for the odd energy drink on long rides

Not really structuring them around training, but Thursday and Sunday's are generally harder training days for me. Thinking of doing the 30g carbs a day (Ketogenic right?) but struggled with it previously, will work my way down to those numbers. But the Paleo (120g carbs) also works.

Would you recommend pure Whey mixed into a smoothy post training? or do you use a specific type.

Not really structuring them around training, but Thursday and Sunday's are generally harder training days for me. Thinking of doing the 30g carbs a day (Ketogenic right?) but struggled with it previously, will work my way down to those numbers. But the Paleo (120g carbs) also works.

Would you recommend pure Whey mixed into a smoothy post training? or do you use a specific type.

I have been on a keto diet for 3 months and it gets easier quickly. When you are fat adapted you hardly get cravings. I sometimes forget to eat. Bringing in carbs around training now i hope my fat adaptation stays the same.

Mixing whey into your smoothy is a great recovery drink! I hate unflavoured whey but sometimes it works best with smoothies. Otherwise any flavour you like. When it comes to buying whey a good indication of quality is to see which one has the highest amount of protein per serving.

Needless to say, USN and Biogen don't come close!

Edited by Jaco-fiets

I have been on a keto diet for 3 months and it gets easier quickly. When you are fat adapted you hardly get cravings. I sometimes forget to eat. Bringing in carbs around training now i hope my fat adaptation stays the same.

Mixing whey into your smoothy is a great recovery drink! I hate unflavoured whey but sometimes it works best with smoothies. Otherwise any flavour you like. When it comes to buying whey a good indication of quality is to see which one has the highest amount of protein per serving.

Thanks for that. Will look into going Keto.

The most important time to consume protein in this regard is post training. Pre and during you should focus mainly on carbs. Some protein 2 to 3hrs before the event is good. After training/race you can make your own recovery shake with basic whey protein, dextrose and glutamine (4:1 glucose to protein) or if you don't mind fructose, whey, mixed berries and glutamine. I prefer the 1st option because glucose replenishes muscle glycogen quicker. 1hr after shake you can start consuming propper food

can u give examples of these.