Best Mountain biking Town in SA?

neildp

It is a slice of heaven from the MTBing pie :drool: Come ride the Karkloof Classic and you wil be loving life.

I might just do that, thanks

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess everyone thinks where they live has the best trails. I like to think I am very lucky living on a farm 3 km away from the Eselfontein MTB track in CERES. I also could be a bit bias as I do help Deon Malherbe to maintain and create new trails, check out this years race as Deon wants to create some new bits.

Yeah look esels is still one of my all time favourite tracks, but its a singular track, granted 70km of singular track :) going back again next month, cant wait. Esels somehow always is a good place to go back to basics and tests ones skill.

Hogsback deserves a special mention - its an amazing place nestled in the escarpment with its own micro climate, trails and forestry and district roads every which way.

Actually I would go with grabouw, Stellies is cool with jonkers, and Gspot etc. but grabouw has

Oakvalley, Thandi, oude molen, pual cluver (when they open for the public) lebanon, and Hard to beat that kind of riding anywheres in SA :)

But that said i love going to harkerville/homtini in knysna, just the natural beauty of those forests alone makes the 500km trip worth while.

I forgot all about that as a Town, Im with you on this :thumbup:

Benoni - Its close to Rietvlei, Fountains, Groenkloof and then there are the mine dumps.

OK lots of effort ...good , but only one correct answer so far. the correct answer is SABIE! ( and Graskop)

It is a slice of heaven from the MTBing pie :drool: Come ride the Karkloof Classic and you wil be loving life.

Half way up Lebanon when it kicks for the 10th time you might not be quite so in love but otherwise tops.

I think my town Somerset West might win this:

On my doorstep:

Lourensford with 120km dirt road including lots of single tracks, this is mtb heaven

Schapenberg trails, can stay on the dirt and ride into Grabouw MTO area

Helderberg College trails

Helderberg trails, can ride into the Eden Stellenbosch trails

Can ride along the railway line to Bottelary trails in Stellenbosch

Then Stellenbosch is just 20min away by car with:

Jonkershoek is a world class mtb area

Bottelary trails

Eden forrest

Then Grabouw is also just 20mins away by car:

Ok Im getting tired now Grabouw is another world class mtb mecca with lots of different options

For mtb Somerset West is hard to beat, no wonder the Epic ends here.

Have to agree with this post. You also have access to all the areas mentioned without getting into a car or doing much riding on tar to get to the routes. You literally are on the dirt within a few minutes from leaving home!

For longer rides you can even go all the way to Hermanus by following large parts of the Wines to Whales route.

Cannot think of too many areas with so many options on your doorstep.

OK, so it's settled then. Difficult to boil it down to a specific town but KZN is by far the mountain biking heaven of SA. Thanks for playing.

Ha-ha...ja, it's not Bloem. I reckon the chaps down in the cape are just spoilt for choice. And it's: SAFE.

The thing for me is i don't wanna get in my car and drive somewhere to ride, i just wanna get on and ride from my doorstep.

Durbanville:

Meerendal

Hillcrest

Contermanskloof

Majik forest

Bloemendal

I'm sure there is more that I don't know

Bottlary hills 10min away

Jonkershoek 20min