What would a shock upgrade bring?

RoboLuke

I have a RockShox Reba RL 29, custom G2 Geometry, 100mm travel on my Trek HiFi 29er. The newer and more expensive models have other, I suspect...better shocks. I see the weight is basically the same.

How is the Reba RL rated? And what would an upgrade bring to a week-end warrior?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything above the Reba you loose weight, but sacrafice stiffness, and plushness, its not worth upgrading to anything else.

Anything above the Reba you loose weight, but sacrafice stiffness, and plushness, its not worth upgrading to anything else.

Not quite.

I have a RockShox Reba RL 29, custom G2 Geometry, 100mm travel on my Trek HiFi 29er. The newer and more expensive models have other, I suspect...better shocks. I see the weight is basically the same.

How is the Reba RL rated? And what would an upgrade bring to a week-end warrior?

What are you looking for in your shock (more small bump compliance etc...), maybe you need to set it up properly if you think its not performing at its best

Not quite.

Oh and you base that on?

The only better performing shock in the range, is the revelation, the SID is a useless flexing pogo stick.

Edited by covie

Not quite.

Almost. (but not quite)

Also need to consider that it might be the boggo standard REBA and not the RLT Dual Air or summin. But anyway - I'd still say that it's not worth it to upgrade unless you have the cash available and there's nothing else you can do.

If I had the cash, I'd upgrade the wheelset before the fork, in this instance.

I base that on having ridden both of them on the same bike, on the same trail back to back. I have also ridden the 29er SID and even that model is not a "flexing pogo stick".

It's been a while since the SID was flexy. Rev is not a XC fork.

Oh and you base that on?

The only better performing shock in the range, is the revelation, the SID is a useless flexing pogo stick.

RVLATN isn't in the same range as the REBA... it's more AM-ey. REBA & Revelation are, IMO, the "site managers" of the brand. More experienced than a worker, more capable in many respects, and not nearly as flexible.

Oh and you base that on?

Bull dust !!!!!!!!!!!

RoboLuke, whatever else you buy, might save you 70 grams.

Have a groot k@k and spend the money elsewhere.

I base that on having ridden both of them on the same bike, on the same trail back to back. I have also ridden the 29er SID and even that model is not a "flexing pogo stick".

It's been a while since the SID was flexy. Rev is not a XC fork.

Almost correct about the Revelation not being a XC fork. Go lookup the specs for the rocky mountain element 950, but besides that a lot of bikes like the giant anthem and the santa cruz love the extra 20mm of travel and actually improves the bikes geometry and hence can be freely used as a XC fork, just with better trail capability than most other forks.

What mayhem says its true he might not have the top of the range Reba, but the difference is so minute between the RL and the RLTi its not worth the money to upgrade.

Edited by covie

Bull dust !!!!!!!!!!!

RoboLuke, whatever else you buy, might save you 70 grams.

Have a groot k@k and spend the money elsewhere.

Or even just a small ***...

Here's an idea - have 2 less corn flakes in the morning. That'll save you the same amount of weight that a fork upgrade will get you. And, you'll be eating less so you'll lose even more weight in the long run.

Sorted!

Almost correct about the Revelation not being a XC fork. Go lookup the specs for the rocky mountain element 950, but besides that a lot of bikes like the giant anthem and the santa cruz love the extra 20mm of travel and actually improves the bikes geometry and hence can be freely used as a XC fork, just with better trail capability than most other forks.

What mayhem says its true he might not have the top of the range Reba, but the difference is so minute between the RL and the RLT its not worth the money to upgrade.

Meh. Revelation is 110mm upwards. REBA is 80-120mm. Sure, there's a bit of cross-over, but they're in different categories. REBA is firmly in the XC camp, bordering on trail, whereas Revelation is in the Trail/AM camp.

Meh. Revelation is 110mm upwards. REBA is 80-120mm. Sure, there's a bit of cross-over, but they're in different categories. REBA is firmly in the XC camp, bordering on trail, whereas Revelation is in the Trail/AM camp.

I know mayhem, though you see alot more riders pitching up with revelations, and like the rocky they have a custom 100mm revelation. My point is under certain conditions it can be used as an XC fork with the benefits of AM performance. And that to me is the only RS fork that outshines the Reba in performance, but your quite right cannot be used by everyone or just any bike.