Cost of MTB stage events

slabs

Just had a look at the new event run in conjunction with the Karoo to Coast.

The Dr Evil Classic runs over 3 days and the last stage is the K2C - Cost of entry is R2 350 and this EXCLUDES accommodation! And even worse the K2C entry is R290, so you are paying over R2000 for 160km of riding and R290 for 100km....

http://www.drevilclassic.com/racedetails/rdentryfee.php

Am I the only one feeling ripped off by these event costs????

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a look at the new event run in conjunction with the Karoo to Coast.

The Dr Evil Classic runs over 3 days and the last stage is the K2C - Cost of entry is R2 350 and this EXCLUDES accommodation! And even worse the K2C entry is R290, so you are paying over R2000 for 160km of riding and R290 for 100km....

http://www.drevilcla.../rdentryfee.php

Am I the only one feeling ripped off by these event costs????

If.

You.

Feel.

It.

Is.

Too.

Expensive.

Don't.

Ride.

It.

Agree with both points.

1. Yes, we are being taken for fools.

2. Yes, if it's too expensive, stay away.

We all do the same maths: The known race costs X, so how can the other days cost Y? Why don't they just add a "Reason for Pricing" button and give us their take on how they got to the Entry Fee?

I must say, when I read about the "Value for Money" and look at what they offer as part of the entry fee , my blood does start to boil a little.

A hostel bed or a tent, and we have to pay extra for that! No lunch either. Come on! :thumbdown:

If.

You.

Feel.

It.

Is.

Too.

Expensive.

Don't.

Ride.

It.

Exactly what many will be doing, which means that greed could potentially make the event a flop before it even takes off.

More than enough multi day events around nowadays, they need to become more competitive price wise.

Ie: they need to get more sponsors.

Just entered the Tuli, and that costs R18 000, however have chatted to guys that have done it before, and they were even willing to pay even more for that.

Its all relative and the price is determined by supply and demand. There are enough people to pay that much for it.

If the race/tour is to expensive for you, then don't do it and move on....

Exactly what many will be doing, which means that greed could potentially make the event a flop before it even takes off.

More than enough multi day events around nowadays, they need to become more competitive price wise.

Ie: they need to get more sponsors.

Too many events and not enough sponsors to go around..........

Lets see how many attend this one.There was a huge drop in the Cape Pioneer last year.

Lets see the numbers at J2C

Just entered the Tuli, and that costs R18 000, however have chatted to guys that have done it before, and they were even willing to pay even more for that.

Its all relative and the price is determined by supply and demand. There are enough people to pay that much for it.

If the race/tour is to expensive for you, then don't do it and move on....

I cannot believe what people pay to ride this.

Sorry

I am booking another Cycle Mashatu for my family and friends and will have the ultimate riding and bush experience for 3 days and nights for a fraction of the cost.

Market forces dictate that a point of equilibrium will eventually be found. If it is too expensive, and if people do not enter, then organisers will either charge less or not continue the event the following year. As there are fewer events (if) then demand for the remaining events increases, and so to in theory does the price of those events (assuming continued demand), which makes event organisation seem attractive again, so more people organise events.... and so the cycle continues.

It is however amazing that so many "expensive" events sell out so quickly. S2C, ironman 70.3, Mont aux sources run, Otter run, and so on.

Sorry

I am booking another Cycle Mashatu for my family and friends and will have the ultimate riding and bush experience for 3 days and nights for a fraction of the cost.

Corporates, R 18 k to them is like R1.8 k is to me.

I used to be able to afford at least 1 stage race a year (did SabieX 5 years in a row) but no more :thumbdown: - I guess they won't/don't miss me though :whistling:

Too many events and not enough sponsors to go around..........

Lets see how many attend this one.There was a huge drop in the Cape Pioneer last year.

Lets see the numbers at J2C

My point exactly. There will be premier events (Epic, Sani, J2C, Wine to Whales, Wild ride, maybe Pioneer and one or 2 others), but they do have sponsors and are well organised. Tuli will also always have a market because of where it is held and a lot of the entry goes to charity. And then there is the Freedom Challenge for the ultimate endurance event.

Point is there are probably 50 or more "multi-stage" events held throughout the country and people and sponsors will start looking for value. The Dr Evil Classic is a great idea and runs in conjunction with a very popular event. So let's see how supply and demand works, but my feeling is there will be a small group of cyclists entering this one. Also remember it is very soon after the Trans Baviaans as well.

And I will not be entering - am rather doing the Epic where you really get ripped off, but enjoy every moment of it! :thumbup:

Sorry

WOW! thanks for mentioning Cycle Mashatu - I am so going to do this!! :clap: Never heard of it! ....oh the wonders of a forum!

WOW! thanks for mentioning Cycle Mashatu - I am so going to do this!! :clap: Never heard of it! ....oh the wonders of a forum!

They just need to up the game on their site though, would like proper information on the tours, As with all South African sites pricing on the internet seems to fall under the protection of information act and if you have a website that displays a price of any sort you will be locked up. And lastly profiles and proper route descriptions will go down well too.

Corporates, R 18 k to them is like R1.8 k is to me.

The same people that think MTBing/ Cycling is the new golf, I mean WTF.