Cost of MTB stage events

slabs

If I decide to do this one I would be very happy to have only 100 or so riders on the route with me as well as a preferential start to the K2C. Looks like I can wait until the route profiles are released to make a call on this.

Quick hands up: How many of you's would have paid R1000 extra for lunch and a tented Village? That would bring it right into line with W2W, Isuzu 3 Towers and Sani2C (I'm not putting this race into that category yet as I have not seen what the route looks like). Day 1 around Wittedrif may present itself with some great single track sections, possibly some that is not open to the public normally. Day 2 will be a Groot Trek accross the mountain to Uniondale and day 3 will be a glorified road race from Uniondale to Knysna. One thing is sure: If you are training for Pioneer you'd be more than tempted to tackle this one as a training camp.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! thanks for mentioning Cycle Mashatu - I am so going to do this!! :clap: Never heard of it! ....oh the wonders of a forum!

:thumbup:

See the Mashatu thread.Tumbleweed has also done it as well as many Hub members

I prefer this kind of thing than cruising down a sand road with hundreds of other riders and swallowing their dust

Same as the Otter Trail

I cannot believe that they run that in one day.What a waste

I have done it 3 times now.I book out the whole trail for family and friends(12 hikers) and enjoy the most spectacular piece of real estate for 5 days.

Going to book the Whale Trail 5 day for later in the year or early next year

Thats the way to do it :thumbup:

I used to be able to afford at least 1 stage race a year (did SabieX 5 years in a row) but no more :thumbdown: - I guess they won't/don't miss me though :whistling:

Ben SabieX under new management/ownership for 2012, so you will either pay less (not likely) or get a damn side more for your money this year.

That said 3 Towers is much nicer than SabieX (far less chance of monsoon conditions for one) and at R4800 (2012 price) for a 2 person team all included, field limited to 200 teams (for both long and short race combined), it's cheap as chips compared to some other options out there. Sani2c must still be doing something right though at R8k or so per team and 3 races full with waiting lists. All about perceived value, i.e. perception = reality.

They just need to up the game on their site though, would like proper information on the tours, As with all South African sites pricing on the internet seems to fall under the protection of information act and if you have a website that displays a price of any sort you will be locked up. And lastly profiles and proper route descriptions will go down well too.

Go here plenty info http://www.mashatu.com/adventure_mountainbike.htm

WTF profiles .....its a mtb game safari in the bush not a freaking mtb race....Capie....

Just had a look at the new event run in conjunction with the Karoo to Coast.

The Dr Evil Classic runs over 3 days and the last stage is the K2C - Cost of entry is R2 350 and this EXCLUDES accommodation! And even worse the K2C entry is R290, so you are paying over R2000 for 160km of riding and R290 for 100km....

http://www.drevilcla.../rdentryfee.php

Am I the only one feeling ripped off by these event costs????

Agree Slabs! But time will tell and some races surely will go bust due to poor entries, and those that survive will be the saught after ones. There does seem to be a flurry of new races lately, especially MTB. Let the market forces dictate and MTB riders vote with their feet bikes...

Go here plenty info http://www.mashatu.c...ountainbike.htm

WTF profiles .....its a mtb game safari in the bush not a freaking mtb race....Capie....

Nope its not but i would like to know what distance is covered per day, i would like to see the elevation and know what the terrain is to see what level of fitness can easily manage the day. I might be fit and manage this as a cakewalk i might want to bring lesser fit friends that will die doing it and will hate me for it.

Its basic information on basic questions and should be on their site.

Ben SabieX under new management/ownership for 2012, so you will either pay less (not likely) or get a damn side more for your money this year...

Yeah, about that, I see they changed the format for this year, the Sabie Lite is only 2 days, and the SabieX distances are 50-60km p/day. Sabie Lite used to be my fun 4 day stage race for Dec. :( **hijack off**

Nope its not but i would like to know what distance is covered per day, i would like to see the elevation and know what the terrain is to see what level of fitness can easily manage the day. I might be fit and manage this as a cakewalk i might want to bring lesser fit friends that will die doing it and will hate me for it.

Cycle Mashatu is a private company operating a private concession in Mashatu

They do actually have their own website with everything but the link at the bottom of the page seems stuffed

Like most lodges or tours in Botswana they will send you everything you need to know when you contact them.

Corporates, R 18 k to them is like R1.8 k is to me.

That, in my opinion, is exactly the problem! Corporates start paying for teams to enter and then the poor man on the street is left unable to afford to enter and give these things a go. Like you say, for them it is peanuts and probably written off as marketing.

One thing is sure: If you are training for Pioneer you'd be more than tempted to tackle this one as a training camp.

I cannot understand how the paid "training camp" for another race is appealing. Just get out there and ride, why pay extra to join an event? There are plenty of places you can do 2 or 3 days of 100km plus rides on gravel/jeep/single track without being subjected to the organised chaos that some of these events are.

And you can choose your own start time, route, water stop and accommodation.

That, in my opinion, is exactly the problem! Corporates start paying for teams to enter and then the poor man on the street is left unable to afford to enter and give these things a go. Like you say, for them it is peanuts and probably written off as marketing.

That might be the case, but also, how many new people has this not attracted to the sport? And the knock-on effects of this?

The vast majority of races/events appear affordable to someone with a moderate income.

I cannot understand how the paid "training camp" for another race is appealing. Just get out there and ride, why pay extra to join an event? There are plenty of places you can do 2 or 3 days of 100km plus rides on gravel/jeep/single track without being subjected to the organised chaos that some of these events are.

And you can choose your own start time, route, water stop and accommodation.

Even for big races most people I know book themselves into a different environment which also costs money, I for example like to go to harkerville, or book out the house on eselfontein for a couple of days to just get solid miles in. The advantage of doing races before the time is simple, you ride so much harder during a race than you normally would while out training your usual routes. Hence it has more of an effect and you have a accurate measure of fitness close to the big events.

That might be the case, but also, how many new people has this not attracted to the sport? And the knock-on effects of this?

The vast majority of races/events appear affordable to someone with a moderate income.

Yeah most poeple with moderate incomes can afford to spend 30-50k to do a epic, and up to 20k to do a DCM. Fact is if you want to now take part in the really big high profile stage races you need a corporate sponsor. Or save up a couple of years, maybe take a second mortage on your house.

Its the same for everything, like football in the UK for example, it has priced the working man out of being able to go to the game or even buying a season ticket, the people that support it the most. Instead the grounds are now being filled with what Roy Keane labled as the "prawn sandwich brigade", same as the people saying that "MTBing is the new golf"

The sad thing is it will not get better, the people that vote with their wallets wont do the races, making the ones that are already elite, even more so and more expensive. So the vicious circle continues. Its a no win situation for the average earner I'm afraid. So sick of hearing this, if you can't afford it don't do it bollocks speech. Half the guys doing these races can't even ride properly to begin with, but hey they are paying so who cares.

Depends what you would consider as a moderate income!