I need advice Please! (Scott Spark 60)

Dirtchild

Hi,

Im new to the MTB scene. I dont have much knowledge on bikes yet but i thought this was a good deal. Its a new bike from a well know bike shop. What i would like to know is if it's a good but for that money.The retail price is R11 700.

The Scott Spark 60 2012 Features are:

Frame: Spark Alloy 6061 custom butted, hydroformed tubes, U-Mono Link, replaceable derailleur hanger, 135mm, rear PM 160, BB height adjustable,

Rear Shock: DT Swiss M210, Air, ABS Spring, 190 x 50mm, Rebound adjustable, Lockout

Fork: Rock Shox Recon Silver RL, Coil spring, Alloy Steerer, Motion Control Lockout, rebound adjustable, 120 mm travel

Headset: Ritchey OE 1 1/8“, semi integrated 44/50mm

Stem: Scott Comp, Oversize 31.8mm, 1 1/8“, 6° angle

Speed: 27

Front Mech: Shimano SLX, FD-M660-E / DM

Rear Mech: Shimano SLX, RD-M662 SGS, Shadow Type

Chainset: Shimano Deore, FC-M590, 2-piece Design, 44x32x22 T

Bottom Bracket: Shimano Cartridge, 73mm shell

Cassette: Shimano CS HG-50 -9, 11-34 T

Chain: Shimano CN-HG53

Front Brake: Shimano BR-M446 Disc, 180mm

Rear Brake: Shimano BR-M446 Disc, 160mm

Rims: Alex XC-44 Disc, 32H, Eyelets

Front Hub: Scott Team Disc CL

Rear Hub: Shimano FH-RM66 Disc CL

Tyres: Schwalbe Rocket Ron, 26 x 2.25, 50EPI, Active Line Front Schwalbe Rocket Ron, 26 x 2.25, 50EPI, Active Line Rear

Seatpost: Scott Comp, 31.6mm

post-31823-0-77150900-1332231351.jpg

Hi,

Im new to the MTB scene. I dont have much knowledge on bikes yet but i thought this was a good deal. Its a new bike from a well know bike shop. What i would like to know is if it's a good but for that money.The retail price is R11 700.

The Scott Spark 60 2012 Features are:

Frame: Spark Alloy 6061 custom butted, hydroformed tubes, U-Mono Link, replaceable derailleur hanger, 135mm, rear PM 160, BB height adjustable,

Rear Shock: DT Swiss M210, Air, ABS Spring, 190 x 50mm, Rebound adjustable, Lockout

Fork: Rock Shox Recon Silver RL, Coil spring, Alloy Steerer, Motion Control Lockout, rebound adjustable, 120 mm travel

Headset: Ritchey OE 1 1/8“, semi integrated 44/50mm

Stem: Scott Comp, Oversize 31.8mm, 1 1/8“, 6° angle

Speed: 27

Front Mech: Shimano SLX, FD-M660-E / DM

Rear Mech: Shimano SLX, RD-M662 SGS, Shadow Type

Chainset: Shimano Deore, FC-M590, 2-piece Design, 44x32x22 T

Bottom Bracket: Shimano Cartridge, 73mm shell

Cassette: Shimano CS HG-50 -9, 11-34 T

Chain: Shimano CN-HG53

Front Brake: Shimano BR-M446 Disc, 180mm

Rear Brake: Shimano BR-M446 Disc, 160mm

Rims: Alex XC-44 Disc, 32H, Eyelets

Front Hub: Scott Team Disc CL

Rear Hub: Shimano FH-RM66 Disc CL

Tyres: Schwalbe Rocket Ron, 26 x 2.25, 50EPI, Active Line Front Schwalbe Rocket Ron, 26 x 2.25, 50EPI, Active Line Rear

Seatpost: Scott Comp, 31.6mm

If it's advise you want you've come to the wrong place... This lot will only give you sly remarks, Tongue in cheek answers and generally idiotic statements. Too many cowboys on this forum my friend , sorry . Good luck by the way, Go with your gut.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dirtchild,

where about are you looking to acquire the bike from? Sounds like a sweet deal and I want in!

If it's advise you want you've come to the wrong place... This lot will only give you sly remarks, Tongue in cheek answers and generally idiotic statements. Too many cowboys on this forum my friend , sorry . Good luck by the way, Go with your gut.

And the first useless comment is in. Well done!

Dirtchild,

that frame is very good, my brother finished the Epic on it without a single hassle.

The specs look good for the price and the wheels can be upgraded.

bicycling.co.za lists the bike at 12999.00 so your deal sounds very good.

Enjoy.

• 4 months later...

I just bought the Spark 40 and I'm very happy with it. As for as I know the frames are the same just the components differ and I find the bike handles beautifully. Back shock is a bit hard and I'm running mine now at 25% sag and it feels very good. I would really recommend it

Great frame, good components and price, but you should upgrade to an air fork, and wheels. Spend a bit more for a Reba or Fox fork and better wheels as upgrades can be expensive.

Great frame, good components and price, but you should upgrade to an air fork, and wheels. Spend a bit more for a Reba or Fox fork and better wheels as upgrades can be expensive.

Thanks, off to go and have a look at it now.

Hey Mojoman, yeah I got one of these off gumtree couple months back. Done +-500ks so far and really loving the bike! Great value for money & solid

Had a look at the bike, can get it for R11,500 but I am not sure about that front fork and its out of my budget to upgrade that straight away but it is a nice looking machine and (on tar anyway) handles pretty well.

Mojo, other than the recon fork it's a damn good deal. Heck, even with that front fork it's a good deal.

When you can upgrade, just sell the recon 2nd hand and buy a reba from crc or merlin cycles or something, and the bike will be sorted.

Don't go the way of fox. For the same performance as RS you're looking at 59% more cost at least, and the reba is a farking good fork.

Mojo,

it's a great deal, I'd take it... and you will always find things you want better.

G

Had a look at the bike, can get it for R11,500 but I am not sure about that front fork and its out of my budget to upgrade that straight away but it is a nice looking machine and (on tar anyway) handles pretty well.

Mojo,

it's a great deal, I'd take it... and you will always find things you want better.

G

Agreed, now I am looking at a Ghost RT Actium for more or less the same price. Its great when you have money, then the bike you want is never around (2nd hand Trance!)